We are the problem | Syracusefan.com

We are the problem

hector-ringing-bell.gif

A direct result of "recruiting for the zone". Get a bunch of 6'8 guys with very limited offensive skills. Get tall centers who can't dribble or dunk an offensive rebound. Get the tallest PG possible, even if he can't dribble with his left hand. Have 1 player on the roster who can make shots, that's all you need since there's only one ball, but all 5 can play defense!

Syracuse recruiting in a nutshell.

Ennis leaving after a year was a problem. Kaleb Joseph not working out was a problem. Quade being a douche was a problem. Doesn't explain everything, but explains a little.

Frank Howard was never plan A at any point. I'm not even sure he was plan B.

Kaleb Joseph is an example of us going after what was supposed to be a skilled guard even though he definitely was not a good fit for the zone. The coaching staff made mistakes. No doubt. But they didn't just sit on their hands for 4 years not looking at any point guards. Could they have done more? Yes. Do sanctions that probably rank in the top 5 all time in terms of severity make it hard to do a good job? Yup.

Ennis leaving after a year was a problem. Kaleb Joseph not working out was a problem. Quade being a douche was a problem. Doesn't explain everything, but explains a little.

Frank Howard was never plan A at any point. I'm not even sure he was plan B.

Kaleb Joseph is an example of us going after what was supposed to be a skilled guard even though he definitely was not a good fit for the zone. The coaching staff made mistakes. No doubt. But they didn't just sit on their hands for 4 years not looking at any point guards. Could they have done more? Yes. Do sanctions that probably rank in the top 5 all time in terms of severity make it hard to do a good job? Yup.

I partially agree, but that doesn't change the fact that several of the PG prospects that our staff passed on went on to have fine careers elsewhere. Including Alvarado, who gave us fits tonight.

I don't have a problem with the staff recruiting long athletes for the zone. But the one position where I don't feel that we should compromise size / length for skill, it is in the backcourt. And when we have two guards who can't get by anyone, don't create for others, and turn the ball over indiscriminately, it is easy to be frustrated with the status quo.

I partially agree, but that doesn't change the fact that several of the PG prospects that our staff passed on went on to have fine careers elsewhere. Including Alvarado, who gave us fits tonight.

I don't have a problem with the staff recruiting long athletes for the zone. But the one position where I don't feel that we should compromise size / length for skill, it is in the backcourt. And when we have two guards who can't get by anyone, don't create for others, and turn the ball over indiscriminately, it is easy to be frustrated with the status quo.
Please. If we are recruiting the likes of Alvarado we are done as a program. He's a pest on D. Nothing more

Please. If we are recruiting the likes of Alvarado we are done as a program. He's a pest on D. Nothing more

Rings hollow tonight.

Who would you rather have -- him or Howard Washington?

The program has room for both higher rated players with pro potential and four year program guys. Maybe if we had more of the latter, the early departures of the former wouldn't leave us in such a bind. To say nothing of the fact that dating back to 2012, we've had seven [7] consecutive years with seven [7] different starters at point guard.

I wasn't as impressed by Alvarado. This team's problem is offense and he was not good on offense tonight. He scored a bucket with 5 assists and grabbed some long boards. His defense looked good because our guards can't dribble, but he didn't have a great game. He was better than Frank, statistically, but I don't think he'd be a net positive for us in place of Frank.

If the rumors about Brunson are true, then that miss was inexcusable. Going all in on Quade at the expense of looking at any other PG recruits was a faux pas.

We recruit tall combo/SGs & attempt to make them PGs. It worked with MCW, it hasn't quite worked with Frank. My concern is that this is the plan with Goodine, who looks like I fine player & is obviously only a HS Jr. but I currently don't see a PG when watching his highlights. I actually see a lot of HS Frank in him at this stage.

We recruit tall combo/SGs & attempt to make them PGs. It worked with MCW, it hasn't quite worked with Frank. My concern is that this is the plan with Goodine, who looks like I fine player & is obviously only a HS Jr. but I currently don't see a PG when watching his highlights. I actually see a lot of HS Frank in him at this stage.

Another thing to add to your post [which I agree with] is that MCW won the skills competition at the McDonald's AA game -- he had foundational PG skills, despite being 6-6. So he wasn't a wing they had to mold into a point. Fools gold, in some respects, because some people don't have the chops for lead guard.

Rings hollow tonight.

Who would you rather have -- him or Howard Washington?

The program has room for both higher rated players with pro potential and four year program guys. Maybe if we had more of the latter, the early departures of the former wouldn't leave us in such a bind. To say nothing of the fact that dating back to 2012, we've had seven [7] consecutive years with seven [7] different starters at point guard.
I get your point about program guys, but Alvarado isn't the answer. He is very average and always will be. I would much prefer program guys like Triche and Scoop or the seemingless endless supply of program guys Villanova has to Alvarado.

A direct result of "recruiting for the zone". Get a bunch of 6'8 guys with very limited offensive skills. Get tall centers who can't dribble or dunk an offensive rebound. Get the tallest PG possible, even if he can't dribble with his left hand. Have 1 player on the roster who can make shots, that's all you need since there's only one ball, but all 5 can play defense!

Yes, I agree. 30 percent shooting are you kidding? (never thought I'd say that about a Syracuse team). But the posse isn't arriving until next year when Bazley, Boeheim and Carey arrive. They can't get here soon enough!

Know how to solve it? Get better guards with better skills.

Wrong. Taller guards!!!!! :)

We could use some of those though. Spot on.

I get your point about program guys, but Alvarado isn't the answer. He is very average and always will be. I would much prefer program guys like Triche and Scoop or the seemingless endless supply of program guys Villanova has to Alvarado.

I didn't mean to say that we specifically should have recruited Alvarado [now, if you're talking about Monte Morris or Jalen Brunson, that's a different matter], just that he is a guy we passed on who burned us.

I think we're on the same page about the program guys.

I agree with everything you said except the part about 1 player who can make shots. Who is he? When you say make shots I assume you are implying a somewhat respectable efficiency at it

All our games are boring, ugly displays of basketball. We are unwatchable

The title of your thread is perfect. 'We are the problem,' that's exactly what Dan Bonner said in the first half with about 6 minutes left. He said; "the problem is, Syracuse is creating more offense for GT, than GT's own offense." I was LMFAO when he said it, and the way he said it, so matter of fact, straight faced. One of the best lines -in game- that I've ever heard any announcer utter. :) I mentioned it in the game thread...

The title of your thread is perfect. We are the problem, that's exactly what Dan Bonner said in the first half with about 6 minutes left. He said; "the problem is, Syracuse is creating more offense for GT, than GT's own offense." I was LMFAO when he said it, and the way he said it, so matter of fact, straight faced. One of the best lines -in game- that I've ever heard any announcer utter. :) I mentioned it in the game thread...

he also stated that it just looked like Gtech was playing harder. thats a damning statement

The title of your thread is perfect. 'We are the problem,' that's exactly what Dan Bonner said in the first half with about 6 minutes left. He said; "the problem is, Syracuse is creating more offense for GT, than GT's own offense." I was LMFAO when he said it, and the way he said it, so matter of fact, straight faced. One of the best lines -in game- that I've ever heard any announcer utter. :) I mentioned it in the game thread...

he also stated that it just looked like Gtech was playing harder. thats a damning statement

And how about when Bonner said"when was the last time somebody's scored?"

Classic

Brando has slipped as a pbp guy. He’s like the once good Broadway/cabaret singer-songwriter pianist who now plays only at higher end Jewish nursing homes. He made numerous blunders out there. I think he said Howard had the big game against FSU and not Tyus.

That was a classic which i mentioned in the chatroom.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom