We finally have a center who can score again! | Syracusefan.com

We finally have a center who can score again!

IthacaMatt

Old Timer / Unofficial Contributor for 25+ years
Taurean Thompson is really developing at a rapid rate. He tried to do a little too much tonight against Cornell, but there can be little doubt that he is going to be a very good player a lot sooner than everyone expected. He's mobile and he's smooth. He's got a good handle for a guy that big.

This is going to sound ridiculous to some (most) of you, but back at the beginning of the season, I said to myself, "You know who this guy looks like out there? Preston Shumpert." I kid you not. I felt that way in several of his early games. It's how smooth he is out there, how he glides to find the open space on the floor. He and Lydon were really working that high-low well, too.

He's got a pretty sweet stroke, too. I'm not saying he's a three point shooter like Shump, or that I want the kid's head to get too big, but he moves really well and is really skilled for a big guy. He's shown more so far than Chris McCullough ever did.

Yep he's got "it." Hopefully he keeps improving on D, and at not picking up cheap fouls - we'll need big minutes from him.

(also, and hate to even mention this, but let's hope he doesn't develop TOO much this year to the points that nba scouts start drooling)

Yep he's got "it." Hopefully he keeps improving on D, and at not picking up cheap fouls - we'll need big minutes from him.

(also, and hate to even mention this, but let's hope he doesn't develop TOO much this year to the points that nba scouts start drooling)

He's still raw enough. We'll have him back next year. Next year this kid will be a star.

JB yesterday said he's "very gifted offensively" and our best offensive low post player and "it's not even close"; I admit his defense is lacking right now and it'll be interesting to see him defensively vs. the ACC. However, JB usually isn't very complimentary of freshman (Lydon last year was an exception) but you can tell he's a big TT fan.

I'm in the camp that our best 3 best playres are under classmen right now (battle, TT and Lydon)

As good as he is offensively, I bet his plus/minus is negative because he is absolutely lost on the defensive end. I expect him to be in the D League next year based on his potential.

It's an awful thing that we have to consider this every year, but you are 100% correct. Every time a freshman or sophomore (or even a junior?) strings together a few great games, in the back of my mind I secretly hope he cools off a little next game to get him off any potential scout's radar.

As good as he is offensively, I bet his plus/minus is negative because he is absolutely lost on the defensive end. I expect him to be in the D League next year based on his potential.

He actually does better in the middle than on the wing. I've felt that way since the beginning of the season. The coverages for weak side corner shooters are much tougher than for coming up to guard the guy at the foul line.

There's not going to be too much visibility for him if we finish in the bottom third of the ACC.

He actually does better in the middle than on the wing. I've felt that way since the beginning of the season. The coverages for weak side corner shooters are much tougher than for coming up to guard the guy at the foul line.
Agree. He needs to play the 5 on D as much as possible - I think he's slowly getting the feel for what he needs to do/where he needs to be in the middle. I think he's already better than DC (not saying much) at challenging/covering the guy who gets the ball at the FT line

lydon has taken his game outside and is doing the bulk of his damage long range and that has opened up the middle for t-square.

Thompson actually reminds me a lot of Lawrence Moten in the sense that he is very patient and has a great feel for spacing, how to get to an open spot, and how to position himself to get to lose balls or easy putbacks. Obviously he's a lot taller than Moten and doesn't have the dribble drive abilities that Moten had, but their patience and the way they operate on offense is very similar. Moten was clearly more polished as a frosh but Thompson is developing quickly.

Mason

i'd disagree. moten was much more efficient. i remember looking at boxscores and wondering "when did moten get all those points ?"TT is a talented forward (and nice passer) but he took 15 shots in 22 minutes. perhaps after his early experiences he now believes he has to score to stay on the floor.
a little defense would be nice.

i'd disagree. moten was much more efficient. i remember looking at boxscores and wondering "when did moten get all those points ?"TT is a talented forward (and nice passer) but he took 15 shots in 22 minutes. perhaps after his early experiences he now believes he has to score to stay on the floor.
a little defense would be nice.
that you can only muster good things to say about one player, the most enigmatic and oft-disappearing player in SU history—in thread after thread—is something to behold

that you can only muster good things to say about one player, the most enigmatic and oft-disappearing player in SU history—in thread after thread—is something to behold

you were offended by "talented" or "good passer" ? and the moten comparison is ridiculous is so many ways.

There's not going to be too much visibility for him if we finish in the bottom third of the ACC.

He is a 6' 10" player with a frame that can handle more bulk, who can shoot and pass. It doesn't matter where we finish in the ACC NBA scouts have already noticed him because it is their job.

That he is better in the middle than on the wing is not relevant when the head coach says he has to get better at "everything" and characterizes him as "lost" defensively.

That he is better in the middle than on the wing is not relevant when the head coach says he has to get better at "everything" and characterizes him as "lost" defensively.

And when does Captain Sunshine ever have anything good to say about freshmen?

Thompson actually reminds me a lot of Lawrence Moten in the sense that he is very patient and has a great feel for spacing, how to get to an open spot, and how to position himself to get to lose balls or easy putbacks. Obviously he's a lot taller than Moten and doesn't have the dribble drive abilities that Moten had, but their patience and the way they operate on offense is very similar. Moten was clearly more polished as a frosh but Thompson is developing quickly.

Mason

One of the intangibles that made Moten so tough on the floor was his love of drawing contact. People forget he was a HS AA WR, and was used to getting hit. Moten had no fear at all about absorbing contact, and he was also so physically strong that he could finish off-balance through the contact. He wasn't called "poetry" for nothing. He was as tough as he was graceful and smooth. A truly unique player. Born to score.

And when does Captain Sunshine ever have anything good to say about freshmen?

Again, not relevant in the least. However, I do believe he said that Thompson was our best offensive post player and that it isn't close. That sounds pretty positive to me.

i remember LO-MO rooming with marvingraves but i thought he played db ?
that said moten was a baseline slasher/assassin extraordinaire .

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom