We have a bench... | Syracusefan.com

We have a bench...

if coleman doesn't foul out of every game we play then we're not using his size correctly. gotta bang.
and preferably those fouls are on the D end not the O end

if coleman doesn't foul out of every game we play then we're not using his size correctly. gotta bang.

I don't disagree with that. I mean, that's overstating it a bit but I could live with him playing 20-25 minutes, being physical as hell, and doing what he did today. If he fouls out--whatever. But he has to contribute defensively, on the glass, and to be a legitimate threat to score. Today was a step in the right direction.

No doubt very big. Honestly I didn't really have a problem with any of them. They were close but none were egregious.
The last one was beyond terrible.

AZOrange said:
The last one was beyond terrible.

The charge needs to go because all officials look for now is thne semi circle. If he's in its a block and if he's out is ac h charge

i haven't yet watched a lot of college ball this year but is our number of charge calls excessive to the mean ?

i thought that the NCAA had somewhat modified the "aaron craft" rule to give offensive players more leeway.

"Under the revised block/charge call in men's basketball, a defensive player is not permitted to move into the path of an offensive player once he has started his upward motion with the ball to attempt a field goal or pass," according to the new rule. "If the defensive player is not in legal guarding position by this time, it is a blocking foul. Previously, a defender had to be in legal guarding position when the offensive player lifted off the floor."

seems tho like it's had the opposite effect of the intended consequences.

i thought that the NCAA had somewhat modified the "aaron craft" rule to give offensive players more leeway.

"Under the revised block/charge call in men's basketball, a defensive player is not permitted to move into the path of an offensive player once he has started his upward motion with the ball to attempt a field goal or pass," according to the new rule. "If the defensive player is not in legal guarding position by this time, it is a blocking foul. Previously, a defender had to be in legal guarding position when the offensive player lifted off the floor."

It appears that today's officials need a bit of remedial training on this revised version of the rule.

Maybe only in our games.
reminds me of the old villinova/gtown games of 09-012

The ones where there were literally 14 bad calls against us as you replayed them.
Arinze and Rick Jackson 9 of the 10 foul calls against them bad calls at gtown in 09-10 if you want a clinic of how not to ref.

No doubt very big. Honestly I didn't really have a problem with any of them. They were close but none were egregious.
Here's the thing, as has been mentioned by many a talking head, including Raftery: Since when has an off-ball defender jumping in front of a driver part of the game of basketball?

I'll repeat what I've posted elsewhere:
I'm in favor of a radical change that was endorsed by a retired officiating pooh-bah in SI a couple of years ago--a secondary defender cannot take a charge. He can only play the ball--either strip it down low or block the shot attempt. An on-ball defender can play defense the way he always has by beating his man to the spot and cutting off the driving lane.

It appears that today's officials need a bit of remedial training on this revised version of the rule.
OMG yes. They couldn't spell it out any more clearly ... and still these guys don't get it, going back to the disaster at the SU - Duke game with CJ Fair. If the secondary defender's moving as the guy gathers ... IT'S TOO PHUCKING LATE.

I know it's not easy in the heat of battle to call these plays. But if you're a professional official, and that's all you do ... I mean ... for god sake, secondary defenders sliding in for "charges" are frauds. Call a block on then. Forget the stupid circle.

Here's the thing, as has been mentioned by many a talking head, including Raftery: Since when has an off-ball defender jumping in front of a driver part of the game of basketball?

I'll repeat what I've posted elsewhere:
I'm in favor of a radical change that was endorsed by a retired officiating pooh-bah in SI a couple of years ago--a secondary defender cannot take a charge. He can only play the ball--either strip it down low or block the shot attempt. An on-ball defender can play defense the way he always has by beating his man to the spot and cutting off the driving lane.

I'd be fine with that change. As the rules stand now the calls weren't that out of line.

OMG yes. They couldn't spell it out any more clearly ... and still these guys don't get it, going back to the disaster at the SU - Duke game with CJ Fair. If the secondary defender's moving as the guy gathers ... IT'S TOO PHUCKING LATE.

I know it's not easy in the heat of battle to call these plays. But if you're a professional official, and that's all you do ... I mean ... for god sake, secondary defenders sliding in for "charges" are frauds. Call a block on then. Forget the stupid circle.
NCAA needs to change to NBA rule...everything is a block.

I'd be fine with that change. As the rules stand now the calls weren't that out of line.

Agreed. Some of those calls were bogus. They were clearly flopping [although we got several of those calls as blocks in the second half]. But some were legit.

I just hate how that is called in the collegiate game.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom