We have no home court advantage | Syracusefan.com

We have no home court advantage

gilardino

Starter
I saw it first hand last night. Unless cuse is playing a duke. Unc. Or a Kentucky at home cuse has no home court advantage at all. On neutral courts and road games is where our fans get into the game. Take a look at this Saturday how loud our fans will be at hoya game and you will see what I mean.

I saw it first hand last night. Unless cuse is playing a duke. Unc. Or a Kentucky at home cuse has no home court advantage at all. On neutral courts and road games is where our fans get into the game. Take a look at this Saturday how loud our fans will be at hoya game and you will see what I mean.

To say we have "NO" home court advantage seems like a stretch, but I do agree that the Dome doesn't become a legitimately hostile environment until it has about 25-26k in it.

The students filled all the way up the third tier. We cheered pretty loudly and a few times the Dome was deafening. Could it be psychological? They feel MORE pressure at the Dome? The spotlight is on them more?

Forget about the team! It's definitely more stressful on us fans to watch them play so horribly in person, but play like a top 15 team on the television. After our Bahamas victory I in no way expected us to regress like that. I was sure we could keep the balling rolling because in the tourney, we had figured out how to do that.

I listened to a radio interview with GMac yesterday while in my car, and he said DaJuan is the emotional center of the team. Could they have gone flat because he was out and NOT cheering from the sidelines? (If he was cheering, I didn't notice it, but I am betting he wasn't.) He was so positive in the Bahamas.

Home crowd stinks i agree. We wait around for stuff to happen.

How often does the team get to practice in the Dome? They shot like a visiting team last night. Was it just an off night? Does their lack of practice at the Dome hurt them in a notoriously hard environment for outside shooting? Not sure.

I agree with the op 100%. 110%
We could post this same post after a win.
its just something the refs have chose to do with syracuse.
I look back to 2003 and I wonder how many times we reached in on traps and got away with it not anymore.

I also agree with Eric I wish they would put 5 rows of student section all around the floor. It would make the dome alot more hostile 5 rows of student section all around the court wouldn't hurt the locals all that much if it was for the good of the team. Thing is it takes balls to make a decision like that as much balls as it would take to hire a defense head football coach right now.

You watch Pitt or Duke sleepwalk at home. It aint happening. They might get soundly beat but they sure as hell won't be seen sleepwalking. That is beacuse of the student section.

Last edited:
How often does the team get to practice in the Dome? They shot like a visiting team last night. Was it just an off night? Does their lack of practice at the Dome hurt them in a notoriously hard environment for outside shooting? Not sure.

Seems like Cooney has a hard time shooting there and he's been around for ever. I think you are onto something with this.

Seemed dead on the tube. Wisconsin's style of play didn't help.

Road crowds seem to be rowdier.

Yup our home court advantage is minimal. Teams arent scared or intimidated coming into the dome. Its absolutely not a hostile enviornment anymore except for the rare 30k games. And our guys sleepwalk far too often during home games.

Last nite was a perfect example. To win on the road against a solid team you usually need to play your A game. Wisconsin probably played a C+ game and still won.

I've only been to a handful of basketball games at the dome, but it seems like the crowd is further away from the action compared to many other basketball arenas. Proximity of the crowd can certainly add to the intimidation factor. For the college kids, domes are usually neutral site tournament type games. Dome doesn't seem like a neutral site, but I agree the Dome is kind of benign unless there is over 25K, especially on TV.

Crowd wasn't bad. You can't really expect more than 22k (I think that's what it was) for a game against a poor OOC opponent. Most schools can't even fit 22k. As for loudness, I don't think we're unique in having trouble getting into the lesser games; Kentucky, Kansas, and UNC fans make the same complaints.

Sometimes there are teams that relish playing at home and sometimes there are teams that love to play on the road. I don't know which this team is, but the younger guys might prefer to play away from the pressure of a home crowd. Who knows.

It's incredible how many season ticket-holders dropped off over two years.

Good turnout by the students (a number of whom, unfortunately, probably won't see the inside of the Dome again this season after that stinker). It was loud a couple times in the second half, but the overall crowd situation is unfortunate. 314/315/316 and 304/305 shouldn't be that empty for a big game.

SU should take a lot of the blame for this. It's high time for Coyle to get it together (after he's finished with his marquee program multi-million dollar job search, of course) and dump Gross's minor league hockey atmosphere. I've been beating this dead horse for so long it makes me uncomfortable, but the Dome isn't a very pleasant place to spend an evening.

I don't quite blame the crowd for not getting into that snooze fest last night. Any time SU made a little run, it sure as heck got loud in there. Unfortunately, Wisconsin always answered, so that excitement was not sustained. There's a little bit of hyperbole going on in this thread.

Was thinking exactly the same thing last night. Going from the small court in Atlantis to the dome has to be a huge change in terms of shooting perspective. It's gotta be tough shooting with a such a large backdrop. Then again, why do visiting teams always shoot lights out if thats the case? Boggles my mind.

I guess somebody hasn't seen our mindless clapping at the start of each half. If that doesn't intimidate a visiting team, then I just don't know what to tell you.

Ha, probably 75% of the crowd doesn't even clap anymore. They just stand and wait to be seated.

That game was not conducive to a loud crowd AT ALL.

Wisconsin is boring af. We couldn't shoot, couldn't run, couldn't rebound and couldn't get stops.

That being said, our fans, on the road and in MSG are a$$holes and I love it! I definitely see what the OP is getting at.

I guess somebody hasn't seen our mindless clapping at the start of each half. If that doesn't intimidate a visiting team, then I just don't know what to tell you.

:)
clapping "wake up wake up wake up" and when we score just one they say "good we can sit down and fall asleep now".

Hate it. I would love if we did something like chant seven nation army until the OPPOSING team makes a basket.

It's incredible how many season ticket-holders dropped off over two years.

Good turnout by the students (a number of whom, unfortunately, probably won't see the inside of the Dome again this season after that stinker). It was loud a couple times in the second half, but the overall crowd situation is unfortunate. 314/315/316 and 304/305 shouldn't be that empty for a big game.

SU should take a lot of the blame for this. It's high time for Coyle to get it together (after he's finished with his marquee program multi-million dollar job search, of course) and dump Gross's minor league hockey atmosphere. I've been beating this dead horse for so long it makes me uncomfortable, but the Dome isn't a very pleasant place to spend an evening.

This wasn't really a big game though. This was on par with us playing a middle-of-the-road ACC team, with the added defect of not being an ACC game.

It's a big reason we have had only 1 undefeated season at home. Can't even blame the zone's percentages because that only became a factor post 1995-1996.

This wasn't really a big game though. This was on par with us playing a middle-of-the-road ACC team, with the added defect of not being an ACC game.

Good point - I shouldn't have said 'big game' (the Big Ten doesn't have a lot of name appeal). But it's probably in the top third of our opponents. My larger point was that it's really uncommon to see only ~75 people in 315/316, even in the last decade, that only happens for exhibitions and maybe a couple of November dogs. A small crowd used to mean empty seats behind the baskets...now it means empty corners.

Our ticket base has shrunk significantly. I'm guessing that they're counting 4,000 student seats as "sold," which means we've got well under 20,000 season ticketholders

Our ticket base has shrunk significantly.
Fans are fickle. Significant defections have occurred after 2 disappointing and painful seasons. If we have another NIT season, we'll be talking about moving games to the war memorial next year.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laxfan516

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom