We May Have Turned the Corner... | Syracusefan.com

We May Have Turned the Corner...

newmexicuse

All Conference
This was a really, really tough loss. We had the lead after a nice 8-0 run & then let the wheels come off. No question this loss was on Brandon who was putrid throughout, as discussed in other threads. It is too bad that Cooney has showed so little all season long, as bad as Brandon was, I couldn't fault Jimmy for leaving him out there.

Brandon aside, I actually liked what we tried to do on offense. Our game was to try and breakdown the D and shoot from in close, instead of just passing around the horn and chucking up a hapless three ball. We finally went to James at the foul line early. He missed a couple from there, mostly because he rushed his shots. We need to do more of that & get him accustomed to scoring from there. CJ was just a tiny bit off, but very solid nonetheless, maybe some credit to the Ville's D. We had at least three blown layups on the MCW drive, a BMK point blank putback, and X failing to secure the ball on a great entry pass. We even had a nice post up by DC2 though he didn't finish the play. I wanted to see him get a 2nd half run. Oh, well, I may as well have wished for a few minutes of man. I won't go to hard on Jimmy for that one because DC2 may not yet be in really good game shape, but I will be a hammering on Jimmy for more DC2 time if I don't see it in the next few games.

Anyways, if we continue to run our O like we did today the points and poise will come. This is what we need to start doing to make any sort of a post-season run.

I think the offense was pretty horrendous today but I don't disagree with your overall point. This team desperately needs to learn to work the offense from the inside out. Doesn't mean we need to have Olajuwon down on the block, but we need kickouts from the post for good looks, and we need our guards and slashing forwards to work around the midrange and get into the lane.

Good point regarding looking for our man at the high post. Southerland missed every one of those shots (and his form was bad), but it's to Boeheim's credit that we attempted that so frequently. We did look better prepared to play against a zone.

Coleman was so bad out there, though. I was thinking of this board's reaction to his DNP against Marquette when he was playing revolving door against Louisville today. He can't play right now, not against a team with decent interior players, at least.

This was a really, really tough loss. We had the lead after a nice 8-0 run & then let the wheels come off. No question this loss was on Brandon who was putrid throughout, as discussed in other threads. It is too bad that Cooney has showed so little all season long, as bad as Brandon was, I couldn't fault Jimmy for leaving him out there.

Brandon aside, I actually liked what we tried to do on offense. Our game was to try and breakdown the D and shoot from in close, instead of just passing around the horn and chucking up a hapless three ball. We finally went to James at the foul line early. He missed a couple from there, mostly because he rushed his shots. We need to do more of that & get him accustomed to scoring from there. CJ was just a tiny bit off, but very solid nonetheless, maybe some credit to the Ville's D. We had at least three blown layups on the MCW drive, a BMK point blank putback, and X failing to secure the ball on a great entry pass. We even had a nice post up by DC2 though he didn't finish the play. I wanted to see him get a 2nd half run. Oh, well, I may as well have wished for a few minutes of man. I won't go to hard on Jimmy for that one because DC2 may not yet be in really good game shape, but I will be a hammering on Jimmy for more DC2 time if I don't see it in the next few games.

Anyways, if we continue to run our O like we did today the points and poise will come. This is what we need to start doing to make any sort of a post-season run.
This. I'm actually encouraged by the last 2 games

Sent from my SCH-I200 using Tapatalk 2

You have to consider that we have played basically 115 minutes of even basketball with 3 of the top teams in the country all while Triche has played the worst basketball of his career. Mind you 2 of those losses were at home, which can't happen, but i don't think it's nearly as bad as many people may think.

I think the offense was pretty horrendous today but I don't disagree with your overall point. This team desperately needs to learn to work the offense from the inside out. Doesn't mean we need to have Olajuwon down on the block, but we need kickouts from the post for good looks, and we need our guards and slashing forwards to work around the midrange and get into the lane.
There is a difference between the offense being horrendous and the shooting being horrendous, which was the case in the first half. There was much improvement in both the way we ran the O & in the shooting in the second half. I thought there were two or three times when it looked like we might surge ahead, but that Hancock kid came back & hit big treys. He hit a 25 footer that really hurt in direct response to a James three that had given us the lead. If Brandon wasn't so awful with his 7 TOs and sub 20% shooting it would have been a much different game.

You have to consider that we have played basically 115 minutes of even basketball with 3 of the top teams in the country all while Triche has played the worst basketball of his career. Mind you 2 of those losses were at home, which can't happen, but i don't think it's nearly as bad as many people may think.

It's hard to have perspective, but a lot of good teams would have lost these three games. Hopefully they bust out against DePaul and then beat a top 5 Georgetown in our mid Atlantic home away from home.

It's hard to have perspective, but a lot of good teams would have lost these three games. Hopefully they bust out against DePaul and then beat a top 5 Georgetown in our mid Atlantic home away from home.

i actually think Wednesday's game will say a lot on how we will finish this season. It's basically a must win in a way, but could also be dangerous. It's a perfect example of a sandwich game. Coming off an emotional loss in a game we had at home, looking ahead to a rival we are looking for revenge on. Very easy for a young team to lose focus. I really hope we come out and smoke Depaul, and then show some balls @Georgetown. I mean we need a convincing win Wednesday. Either way that game should show a lot of our mental state, as well the mental make up of this team.

i actually think Wednesday's game will say a lot on how we will finish this season. It's basically a must win in a way, but could also be dangerous. It's a perfect example of a sandwich game. Coming off an emotional loss in a game we had at home, looking ahead to a rival we are looking for revenge on. Very easy for a young team to lose focus. I really hope we come out and smoke Depaul, and then show some balls @Georgetown. I mean we need a convincing win Wednesday. Either way that game should show a lot of our mental state, as well the mental make up of this team.

Absolutely agree with everything. How much do you want to bet that we'll have posts Wednesday if we win big lamenting that "Big Game James loves his cupcakes" and that MCW is a selfish bully who can only have a big game against crap teams?

Absolutely agree with everything. How much do you want to bet that we'll have posts Wednesday if we win big lamenting that "Big Game James loves his cupcakes" and that MCW is a selfish bully who can only have a big game against crap teams?
basically a no win for them wednesday in regards to this board. thankfully their are some sane ones understand.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom