We need 3 more wins... | Syracusefan.com

We need 3 more wins...

USF and I think somehow we still one against L-ville. Just had a weird vibe the last week or so. Thought after we lost to Rutgers that we win the next two games, lose a close onr to UC, then pull off an upset againt UL, look a little flat against Mizz and win at Temple.

Amazing that we are still in contention for bowl eligibility.

Really too bad that we blew winnable games against NW, Minn, and Rutgers, because an extra win or two would put us that much closer to bowling.

If we continue to show improved defensive play, move the ball and don't turn the pill over, we can win three more. USF and Temple are basically must-wins. Can we steal one of the other three [Lou / Cinci / Mizz]?

We can win the Big East. But we go to Pinstripe with wins against USF, Temple and Louisville.

I will say with the defense playing the way they have - if you depend at all on the run ...cough, Temple, cough ... You are in for a long game. I don't think any team is out of reach. L'ville strikes me as a team that is front running a little with a QB who is good - but young. Think Geno Smith the last two times we beat them. How does he handle pressure? I don't love UC's QB either. Mizzou might be so beat up from the SEC that they overlook a middle of the road Big East team on the road. Our guys can't take USF too lightly though. The sugar high from this blowout better dissipate quickly. We're not that good.

Yet.

From best chance to worst:

USF, Temple, Missouri, Louisville, Cincy

Agree on the order. I think if we keep the TOs down, we'll win both USF and Temple. As for the third win, I think we might surprise Louisville.

Still, if we had kept the TOs down in earlier games we'd be no worse than 5-2 now. Oh Lord

Cheers,
Neil

Agree on the order. I think if we keep the TOs down, we'll win both USF and Temple. As for the third win, I think we might surprise Louisville.

Still, if we had kept the TOs down in earlier games we'd be no worse than 5-2 now. Oh Lord

Cheers,
Neil

Agreed. Despite the tough schedule, we could easily be 4-3 / 5-2. Big, big missed opportunities early on for a team desperate for wins.

Very frustrating in that regard. Need to be pretty darn perfect from here on out to overcome the hole we dug ourselves.

I'm really excited we won, no doubt.

But I'm pretty sure this place is about to swing into manic mode again. UConn is horrible. Just flat out terrible. I mean its awesome that we stomped them, but I'm not sure what we can apply to future opponents.

But I'm pretty sure this place is about to swing into manic mode again. UConn is horrible. Just flat out terrible. I mean its awesome that we stomped them, but I'm not sure what we can apply to future opponents.
Uconn is bad, but no one has stomped them.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

Cheers,
Neil

I'd swap Temple and USF...USF has better athletes and BJ Daniels has brief moments of competency. Team also might lose focus in the Sunshine of Tampa.

That will be the test - Was this a break though, where we finally put it all together and go on a run? Or is it UConn sucking? (Side note - they looked like a team without heart.)

I'd swap Temple and USF...USF has better athletes and BJ Daniels has brief moments of competency. Team also might lose focus in the Sunshine of Tampa.

Latter part is true, but so far, our only win over the Bulls took place in Tampa.

I still think USF might be the "easier" win mainly because they are worse than we are in terms of TOs, turning it over 12 times in the last 4 games (all losses) while only forcing 1 TO total in those games. And I think they will put all of their efforts into beating Louisville this weekend (which I don't see happening).

But as Scooch points out, it's all relative. We can't get too high after all, since UConn is so bad this year. Still, we've seen enough in our other games that we at least know we can compete if we continue to not turn the ball over so much and not make stupid penalties.

Cheers,
Neil

Nothing can apply to future opponents - nothing. We were 4 plays away from disaster last night. The batted ball, the Nassib fumble, the botched shotgun snap and Fisher dropping the snap on the punt. We still put the ball on the deck but it bounced our way.

That said, and while the Uconn offense is as bad as I've seen, their defense has been lights out and stout against Rutgers, Maryland and NC State. Our offense made them look silly.

Nothing can apply to future opponents - nothing. We were 4 plays away from disaster last night. The batted ball, the Nassib fumble, the botched shotgun snap and Fisher dropping the snap on the punt. We still put the ball on the deck but it bounced our way.

That said, and while the Uconn offense is as bad as I've seen, their defense has been lights out and stout against Rutgers, Maryland and NC State. Our offense made them look silly.
the shotgun snap/drop on the punt were wayyyyy after the game was over.

We were 4 plays away from disaster last night. The batted ball, the Nassib fumble, the botched shotgun snap and Fisher dropping the snap on the punt. We still put the ball on the deck but it bounced our way.

Yeah, but every college team fumbles, screws up snaps and punts, and gets balls tipped at the line. They're going to happen. It's a fact of life, especially when defenses are taught to make these things happen.

Last night, our players were aware (Macky!) and poised (Fisher) when these issues popped up. I think we've come a long way since the NW game in that regard.

I'd swap Temple and USF...USF has better athletes and BJ Daniels has brief moments of competency against teams based in Central NY. Team also might lose focus in the Sunshine of Tampa.
Fixed

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom