We need a million cusefan march | Syracusefan.com

We need a million cusefan march

albanycuse

Dion Waiters
to the Spectrum cable people responsibile for not showing Basketball exhibitions and early games anymore. This is a total disgrace and very upsetting to me. Don’t they know we live for this!!!!!! Dont they know we deserve respect!!!!! Dont they know our probation didn’t include not showing games??? Aaaaaaarrrrrggggghhhhhhhhhhhh

Surprised the game isn't on ESPN3. The OOC early-season games usually are.

I believe this has more to do with the ACC then Specturm. Just the way things are now.

I believe this has more to do with the ACC then Specturm. Just the way things are now.
Yes, this is a byproduct of the new ACC contract with ESPN. The tier three games are going to all be televised. That is the good news. The bad news is that most of them will be shown streamed on the ACC Network Extra thing.

My advice is to accept it, get a streaming device for your TV and learn how to use it.

Yes, this is a byproduct of the new ACC contract with ESPN. The tier three games are going to all be televised. That is the good news. The bad news is that most of them will be shown streamed on the ACC Network Extra thing.

My advice is to accept it, get a streaming device for your TV and learn how to use it.

The streaming device unfortunately doesn't save viewers from technical difficulties. In the first game, 12 minutes or so of game action were not shown.

Probably good advice, Tom. As stubborn and old school as I am, I have started to accept streaming as a (somewhat sucky) fact of life. It stinks because of all the buffering and other internet-associated problems. However, I believe the glitches during the last game may have been caused by SU's equipment since we're now producing these games (TWC and Spectrum are out) and sending the link to ACCN/Raycom.

I would describe regional games as 2nd tier programming. These are contests that ESPN doesn't pick up. For these games, under the conference/ESPN contract, I believe Raycom is still the (cronyistic) "producer" of 2nd tier content -- it pedals the rights on the open market. But that doesn't mean the purchasers will broadcast them. We've seen before (MSG+2) that sometimes the carriers just use the rights for leverage. I've been complaining about that (in vein) for some time now.

The good new is ... streaming's available now no matter whether the games are televised or not. The last game wasn't shown here in Rochester, but it was streamed. The bad news is ... I'm not sure this is going to change much from now until the ACCN linear channel goes live.

Last edited:
Its not just spectrum, Cablevision doesn't have the game either, the Acc needs to get their act together.
Spectrum/Charter has turned its back on Syracuse, at least here in Rochester. They cancelled all the 3d tier content (SU Sidelines, Syracuse 60, etc...) and now show only HS -- 15 year olds running around with their helmets jiggling. It's terrible. But they claim that SU's taking over the production function in anticipation of the ACCN. That may be true ... there's also probably some cost cutting going on. Either way, we lose.

The 3d tier problem is an ongoing concern that's being addressed with SU. I'm not sure there's much that can be done ... but believe me it's being brought up.

Spectrum/Charter has turned its back on Syracuse, at least here in Rochester. They cancelled all the 3d tier content (SU Sidelines, Syracuse 60, etc...) and now show only HS -- 15 year olds running around with their helmets jiggling. It's terrible. But they claim that SU's taking over the production function in anticipation of the ACCN. That may be true ... there's also probably some cost cutting going on. Either way, we lose.

The 3d tier problem is an ongoing concern that's being addressed with SU. I'm not sure there's much that can be done ... but believe me this it's being brought up.
In Syracuse, Spectrum has moved the coaches show to the news channel (I believe it is channel 10). It still shows. I am almost 100% sure this is true in Rochester as well.

As far as I can tell, they have stopped showing the Syracuse in 60 show, but I bet it is because the ACC owns the content and it is no longer for sale like it was before the new ACC contract. There is a void for sure for people who rely on cable TV for their SU sports content. Heck, the Syracuse in 60 is not available on the Internet either. Cutting content in this day and age is not cool.

SU is being forced by the ACC to make dramatic improvements to their campus network infrastructure to ensure the digital content broadcast from it is up to par. It appears Syracuse is going to be one of the last schools in the ACC to get this done (I haven't read about it being in the works yet, unlike many other ACC schools).

I hope this happens soon.

In Syracuse, Spectrum has moved the coaches show to the news channel (I believe it is channel 10). It still shows. I am almost 100% sure this is true in Rochester as well.

As far as I can tell, they have stopped showing the Syracuse in 60 show, but I bet it is because the ACC owns the content and it is no longer for sale like it was before the new ACC contract. There is a void for sure for people who rely on cable TV for their SU sports content. Heck, the Syracuse in 60 is not available on the Internet either. Cutting content in this day and age is not cool.

SU is being forced by the ACC to make dramatic improvements to their campus network infrastructure to ensure the digital content broadcast from it is up to par. It appears Syracuse is going to be one of the last schools in the ACC to get this done (I haven't read about it being in the works yet, unlike many other ACC schools).

I hope this happens soon.
We have cable 9 (Spectrum) news here in Rochester. I've searched the guide and can find no SU content at all, except for one "Legends" show (John Wallace) that plays over and over. I'm still under a TWC arrangement, so that may be one issue (the guide is different if you're a new Spectrum customer).

You may be right about the ACC contract with ESPN being a potential cause. That is a GOR issue, which I will raise with the SU AD. If true, it's hard for me to believe that SU would sign off on a conference contract requiring dead silence of 3d tier cable programs for another 13 months until the linear channel goes live. For one, you've said the content is available in Syracuse. For another, I doubt that FSU fans, UNC fans, Duke fans, etc... would stand for cancellation of 3d tier content for more than a year. That just can't be right.

As far as SU's network infrastructure, stay tuned on that question.

The streaming device unfortunately doesn't save viewers from technical difficulties. In the first game, 12 minutes or so of game action were not shown.
It has been excellent for me. I'd take a hard look at your router and/or ISP.

It has been excellent for me. I'd take a hard look at your router and/or ISP.

Nope. They had a technical difficulties screen shot during a huge chunk of the first exhibition game..

The WatchESPN app has been great for about three years here with xfinity. Never a glitch or a bad picture. Works great on a a smart tv, iPad or iPhone. I never miss a game.

Nope. They had a technical difficulties screen shot during a huge chunk of the first exhibition game..

I mean, that sucked and all, but that seemed to be a one off thing... I don’t think we’ve had many, if any problems with streaming football this year.

I have to stream everything that isn’t on ESPN, and all games that start before the bar is open (most weekend games) and any weekday games (unless I take a few hours off). Besides a that chunk of the exhibition game, I haven’t missed a beat

It has been excellent for me. I'd take a hard look at your router and/or ISP.[/QU

That's exactly the point, real. If you have a cable broadcast, you just turn on your TV. You don't have to hire an IT consultant to break down impossible-to-decipher router and modem technical issues, or deal with constant software updating, wi-fi connectivity issues, buffering and all the other nonsense that goes along with computers/streaming. The best way to view sports is a big screen TV and an HD cable signal. Everything else is a compromise that the telecommunications/sports industry is shoving down our throats. It's all about greed and money and poor regulation by the FCC and the PSC -- that's why millions of cable subscribers have been stuck all these years with hundreds of useless channels that nobody wants. Now, the industry is force-feeding us streaming. Ok then.

Since it doesn't seem to matter what consumers want these days, I bit the bullet and bought Apple TV and a Netflix HD subscription. Apple TV includes WatchESPN, and I have to say, generally it works. But there have been many instances when it doesn't. There have been ID issues (please enter your subscriber PW over and over), buffering issues (some for several minues requiring reb00ts), when the IT signal goes down and when part of the broadcast is just MISSING. Yes, we missed an entire half of a game last year that was streamed. Never have I heard of any of these issues with standard cable.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom