We need to flop like Duke | Syracusefan.com

We need to flop like Duke

ImperialOrange

Living Legend
Aside from our guards getting brutalized at the top of the zone every game with moving screens we also need to flop to draw charges in the post. Fab did a good job of this and aside from drawing fouls he also kept the offensive player off balance because he never knew if he was going to go for the block or stay planted. Baye and Rak go for the block everytime, which is a great basketball play, but with the way the game is now being called that needs to be adjusted. Pretty much we need to stop trying to just win playing basketball and ignore the refs because the refs can no longer be ignored in the current game. A few instances from the last couple games make this glaringly obvious.

Marq fat boy doing his Sullinger impersonation from the tourney last year. Baye had position for rebounds a few times and fat boy just chucked him and grabbed the ball. Fat boy lowered his shoulder and Baye held his ground and got bodied out of position and the refs call him as well as the guy getting the shot off. Baye and Rak both need to take/embellish contact and hit the floor in these situations. There was another play where a marquette player drove the baseline a bit out of control and Rak stepped in and stood him up. Step in and take a charge there as well. They may not get alot of calls but getting a few would at least make the offensive player think about trying something else. Fab figured that out, hopefully these 2 do as well.

Moving screens are getting ridiculous. Marq fat boy wasnt as bad at this as Hoya token white guy on Saturday. I watched one screen where he made contact with Triche and then kept moving his feet and pushing him towards the half court line because our guards were working over the screens. It was great pass blocking for an offensive tackle but a horrific no call in basketball games. That was by far the worst but not only since there are plenty of hip checks, legs stuck out, and moving feet to go with it. If I was playing I would lower my shoulder full force into his chest, Shamarko style, and I would probably get T'd up or ejected. The smart play would be to go flying and hit the deck when this happens. Duke players are masters or creating fouls when there arent any, we are the master of getting fouled and playing too tough to get it called.

The last is the dribble arm extension. Triche did it, the Marquette guy flew 10 feet, and got a foul called. Triche is big but the Marquette guards aren't tiny. On the other side a bit later the Marquette guy does the same to MCW and MCW stumbles backwards but keeps his balance and the refs let it go. If you hit the floor there they HAVE to call that.

I don't prefer this style of play but given the way games are called (and not called now) it needs to be done. I'd rather play this way and win vs refusing to hit the floor and lose.

Speaking of hitting the floor, what was with the Marquette guy diving through Triche for the loose ball and not getting called...

ok end rant

Calipari came out and said and im paraphrasing "It sucks but thats the way the game is played and a charge does just as much to deter the opposing team as a blocked shot."

Aside from our guards getting brutalized at the top of the zone every game with moving screens we also need to flop to draw charges in the post. Fab did a good job of this and aside from drawing fouls he also kept the offensive player off balance because he never knew if he was going to go for the block or stay planted. Baye and Rak go for the block everytime, which is a great basketball play, but with the way the game is now being called that needs to be adjusted. Pretty much we need to stop trying to just win playing basketball and ignore the refs because the refs can no longer be ignored in the current game. A few instances from the last couple games make this glaringly obvious.

Marq fat boy doing his Sullinger impersonation from the tourney last year. Baye had position for rebounds a few times and fat boy just chucked him and grabbed the ball. Fat boy lowered his shoulder and Baye held his ground and got bodied out of position and the refs call him as well as the guy getting the shot off. Baye and Rak both need to take/embellish contact and hit the floor in these situations. There was another play where a marquette player drove the baseline a bit out of control and Rak stepped in and stood him up. Step in and take a charge there as well. They may not get alot of calls but getting a few would at least make the offensive player think about trying something else. Fab figured that out, hopefully these 2 do as well.

Moving screens are getting ridiculous. Marq fat boy wasnt as bad at this as Hoya token white guy on Saturday. I watched one screen where he made contact with Triche and then kept moving his feet and pushing him towards the half court line because our guards were working over the screens. It was great pass blocking for an offensive tackle but a horrific no call in basketball games. That was by far the worst but not only since there are plenty of hip checks, legs stuck out, and moving feet to go with it. If I was playing I would lower my shoulder full force into his chest, Shamarko style, and I would probably get T'd up or ejected. The smart play would be to go flying and hit the deck when this happens. Duke players are masters or creating fouls when there arent any, we are the master of getting fouled and playing too tough to get it called.

The last is the dribble arm extension. Triche did it, the Marquette guy flew 10 feet, and got a foul called. Triche is big but the Marquette guards aren't tiny. On the other side a bit later the Marquette guy does the same to MCW and MCW stumbles backwards but keeps his balance and the refs let it go. If you hit the floor there they HAVE to call that.

I don't prefer this style of play but given the way games are called (and not called now) it needs to be done. I'd rather play this way and win vs refusing to hit the floor and lose.

Speaking of hitting the floor, what was with the Marquette guy diving through Triche for the loose ball and not getting called...

ok end rant

Take the fall! Act hurt! Get indignant!

Thank god they called that off the Marquette kid. I would have lost my after the no-call undercutting Triche's legs.

The new thing now is if there is any contact above the waist to act like you got hit by an elbow to try to draw a flagrant 1 foul. Indiana tried it last night. Thankfully the refs didn't bite and had the spine not to call it.

The new thing now is if there is any contact above the waist to act like you got hit by an elbow to try to draw a flagrant 1 foul. Indiana tried it last night. Thankfully the refs didn't bite and had the spine not to call it.

Minnesota being the home team had a lot to do with that no call.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom