We played really well | Syracusefan.com

We played really well

jgeorge322

Living Legend
Nc state hit some tough shots and bad frank showed up the last minute of the game. Not getting over that screen is unacceptable at the end.

For thise calling for jb’s head, the team is actually starting to play some good ball on both ends, so not sure why the call out after this game.

Nc state hit some tough shots and bad frank showed up the last minute of the game. Not getting over that screen is unacceptable at the end.

For thise calling for jb’s head, the team is actually starting to play some good ball on both ends, so not sure why the call out after this game.

This is P5 college hoops. I wouldn't call hitting wide open uncontested 3's at this level 'tough shot's at all, maybe big, huge, etc, shots, but certainly not tough. JB's sentiments uttered during his presser has this tone as you just can not afford to cover/defend good shooters.

2s6ac8j.jpg

I do think it's possible that we lose a little on D late in games. Lots of minutes being played...it has to a take a little quickness out of you.

We lost this game in the final minutes when we hit a dead spot scoring (not unusual) and the defense couldn't get stops. NC State started converting on a string of possessions and we missed a few key foul shots and had trouble executing our half court offense.

Tough shots ? Tough for you and I maybe

I do think it's possible that we lose a little on D late in games. Lots of minutes being played...it has to a take a little quickness out of you.

We lost this game in the final minutes when we hit a dead spot scoring (not unusual) and the defense couldn't get stops. NC State started converting on a string of possessions and we missed a few key foul shots and had trouble executing our half court offense.

The corner 3 is only available when Moyer is in the game .. it’s just a question of how long before the opposition figures that out

This is P5 college hoops. I wouldn't call hitting wide open uncontested 3's at this level 'tough shot's at all, maybe big, huge, etc, shots, but certainly not tough. JB's sentiments uttered during his presser has this tone as you just can not afford to cover/defend good shooters.

good point. Tough shots isnt the right wording but they shot very well. I still think we played well overall just had some defensive lapses. If we played the way we played last night all season, imho, we probably would only have 4-5 losses.

I don't think either team played well or is very good. I think the fact that it was an important game is more an indictment of A) how bad the ACC is this year and B) how weak the bubble continues to be and C) how nobody is really good in college hoops anymore. When both teams nearly turn it over 20 times I"m not on the "well played" road. Neither team could guard without fouling or without leaving guys wide open. They got their guys the ball in better spots, per usual when we play guards that deny and pester we struggle to get into anything. Fortunately free throws gave us points.

When a team is grinding out low possession games, there are going to be a lot decided on a one or two key plays.

I don't think there is a huge margin for error in college basketball.

The corner 3 is only available when Moyer is in the game .. it’s just a question of how long before the opposition figures that out
Dolezaj gave up 2 in the corner but you're right, it is often Moyer late to get out there.

This team has a tremendous opportunity ahead of them.

@Miami (#30 RPI)
vs. UNC (#8 RPI)
@Duke (#7 RPI)
@ BC
vs. Clemson (#6 RPI)

IMO SU is playing their best ball of the season right now. If they can win the BC game and split the other four, they're dancing without question.

Eh, the team looked gassed. Need some depth ASAP!

OK - so, do you have a magic wand or a time machine?
Because that's the only way we're getting any more depth any time soon.

I don't think either team played well or is very good. I think the fact that it was an important game is more an indictment of A) how bad the ACC is this year and B) how weak the bubble continues to be and C) how nobody is really good in college hoops anymore. When both teams nearly turn it over 20 times I"m not on the "well played" road. Neither team could guard without fouling or without leaving guys wide open. They got their guys the ball in better spots, per usual when we play guards that deny and pester we struggle to get into anything. Fortunately free throws gave us points.

Agreed. There have been a lot of sour grapes posts on here how NCSU is terrible and a dirty team like how Buffalo was lol. Sure they aren’t great but they have some talent. You don’t beat some of those teams they beat without talent. I mean I’d take all those guards in a heartbeat (except Beverly) on our team over everyone not named Tyus.

Second half Keats I bet just told them to drive more. They completely shredded the zone with dribble penetration and either got great shots for their teammates or layups/floaters because we had Dolezaj in there and no real C. Dorn, Johnson, Hunt, and Batts Jr. were all bouncy and quick guards who play with some swag. Not a very good team especially defensively but they executed pretty well offensively. In the Tourney setting I could see them winning a game or two in a year where the ACC is going to struggle again IMO and won’t have UNC to bail them out.

OK - so, do you have a magic wand or a time machine?
Because that's the only way we're getting any more depth any time soon.

I'm just saying at this point I won't assign much blame to any of the players. They have played far too many minutes this year. Sadly a lot of these things they couldn't control (TT, Thorpe, Washington injury).

Hoping next season Howard and Brisset's minutes go down from 38 to 31 or 32.

Agreed. There have been a lot of sour grapes posts on here how NCSU is terrible and a dirty team like how Buffalo was lol. Sure they aren’t great but they have some talent. You don’t beat some of those teams they beat without talent. I mean I’d take all those guards in a heartbeat (except Beverly) on our team over everyone not named Tyus.

Second half Keats I bet just told them to drive more. They completely shredded the zone with dribble penetration and either got great shots for their teammates or layups/floaters because we had Dolezaj in there and no real C. Dorn, Johnson, Hunt, and Batts Jr. were all bouncy and quick guards who play with some swag. Not a very good team especially defensively but they executed pretty well offensively. In the Tourney setting I could see them winning a game or two in a year where the ACC is going to struggle again IMO and won’t have UNC to bail them out.
I thought Keatts made a great adjustment for Hunt's last three. Instead of parking him in the corner where we were looking for him, he had him up top and by penetrating and passing back to him, it gave him a basically wide open look that we couldn't defend. It was a great play on their behalf.

I thought Keatts made a great adjustment for Hunt's last three. Instead of parking him in the corner where we were looking for him, he had him up top and by penetrating and passing back to him, it gave him a basically wide open look that we couldn't defend. It was a great play on their behalf.

I thought that was a bit by happenstance but if he drew that up, agree great design

I'm just saying at this point I won't assign much blame to any of the players. They have played far too many minutes this year. Sadly a lot of these things they couldn't control (TT, Thorpe, Washington injury).

Hoping next season Howard and Brisset's minutes go down from 38 to 31 or 32.

Yeah, I agree. Too many players have been thrown into roles that are a bit over their heads for all of these extended minutes.

NC State is not a good team...and we couldn't beat them playing in front of a good crowd at home. Enough said. Our 3 point D has been bad all year. Lots of wide open shots. Lazy D getting out on hot shooters. Going under screens instead of fighting through, especially late in games.

This team has a tremendous opportunity ahead of them.

@Miami (#30 RPI)
vs. UNC (#8 RPI)
@Duke (#7 RPI)
@ BC
vs. Clemson (#6 RPI)

IMO SU is playing their best ball of the season right now. If they can win the BC game and split the other four, they're dancing without question.

Best ball? We lost to a mediocre NC St team at home. 2-3 is the best I see, 1-4 is probable and 0-5 is far more likely than 5-0.

We had a nice soft ACC schedule coming into the year and it got us to where we are now, this stretch is the toughest we've had by far all year.

I don't share your same optimism.

Best ball? We lost to a mediocre NC St team at home. 2-3 is the best I see, 1-4 is probable and 0-5 is far more likely than 5-0.

We had a nice soft ACC schedule coming into the year and it got us to where we are now, this stretch is the toughest we've had by far all year.

I don't share your same optimism.
I'm not surprised that you don't. But when you consider going into last night the team had won five of their last seven games and are averaging 75 points per game since the Virginia loss, one could easily make an argument that they're playing their best right now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom