We suck at using screens, on or off the ball ... | Syracusefan.com

We suck at using screens, on or off the ball ...

Cowtown

Sesquipedalia verba
every time we set a screen the player using the screen runs 5 feet wide, allowing the defense to easily move past it. It's all wasted energy and time that way. And Cooney's off ball attempts to get open using screen were easily the worst I've seen in a long, long time. Looked like tavern league play.

every time we set a screen the player using the screen runs 5 feet wide, allowing the defense to easily move past it. It's all wasted energy and time that way. And Cooney's off ball attempts to get open using screen were easily the worst I've seen in a long, long time. Looked like tavern league play.

I think last year was even worse because both Cooney and Fair were constantly running off meaningless screens. The structure of the offense is terrible. I've never seen a player work so hard to come off a basic screen as Cooney. Today i saw some decent ones, but often the screener isnt set, or cooney doesnt "rub" off the screener close enough or the right way (i.e. curl when being chased; flair when defender goes underneath). Another thing i have noticed is that when he does come off a screen in good position, often the pass is poor, leaving him no real way to catch and shoot in rhythm. This is basketball 102, and is either a philosophical issue with recruiting (not getting enough smart players) or coaching (fundamentals that need to be executed).

Cooney looked great in the first half. Maybe some picks after to's could have at least tried to go to him in the end.
Edit- or anytime in the second half.

Cooney looked great in the first half. Maybe some picks after to's could have at least tried to go to him in the end.
Edit- or anytime in the second half.

This was one of the first real good stretches I've had looking at Cooney and how he tries to get open. Apart from not using the screen correctly, he has no "explosive" break when coming toward the ball. He lacks foot speed by the way he runs, short-stepping like that. The SU track coach could help him with that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom