Weather in SU | Syracusefan.com

Weather in SU

SBU72

All Conference
Everything in Rochester is closed tonight because of sub-zero temps plus extreme windchill. Would SU have postponed the game tonight if was being played there?

Ah, 30 car pile up on the thruway west is Roc, closed it to trucks. Another 20 car on 490 near the airport. Our roads aren't exactly clear

supposed to fly out of Buffalo tomorrow.. im thinking its not gonna happen.. all flights were pretty much cancelled today

Well they actually closed classes this afternoon so maybe?
I remember walking to classes when it was -8 with -20 wind chill. They never cancelled classes. Even when we got 2 feet of snow. And the campus streets were pretty clear. My how things have changed.

I remember walking to classes when it was -8 with -20 wind chill. They never cancelled classes. Even when we got 2 feet of snow. And the campus streets were pretty clear. My how things have changed.
Snowflakes don’t like the bitter cold?

Sorry, couldn’t resist.

I probably did too but, when I was at SU wind chill hadn't been invented yet. I truly remember some brutal wind on the quad and the open area downhill from the Hall of Languages.

You guys have nothing on us Oswego grads.

You guys have nothing on us Oswego grads.

Went to Oswego St. They used to put up ropes along the walkways to campus buildings to hold on to so you could even stand up while fighting the wind and snow. The wind would knock kids down. I remember slipping and sliding when a 6’7” basketball player from Syracuse kidded me for sliding backwards and dropping a book while trying to get to Snygg from Hart Hall. It was hysterical seeing him fall right after laughing at me, slide totally backwards down the hill on his axx knocking other kids off the rope while his papers and all his books ended up back at Funnelle. Felt rather bad too though because some kids were pretty mad at getting knocked down. It was like watching a bowling ball knock down pins along the way.

Best story though was when the school did close because of a brutal blizzard and the students from Hart and Funnelle dorms made a human chain of at least 100 students linked arm to arm all the way down to the city and the main intersection with route 104 where a liquor store was located. Money was collected beforehand from everyone. Bottles after bottles of liquor, wine, Tango mix (OMG) etc were passed person to person up all the way back to campus so a giant blizzard bash could start. Cleaned that liquor store almost out. Totally crazy - then each student was passed up the chain, also person to person till everyone could get back inside. The alcohol was passed up first , people afterwards. Amazingly creative cooperative and efficient operation to insure an unforgettable party was pulled off that night which became even more unbelievable thinking back on it as time passed. I was a dumb freshman and had to laugh despite freezing through it. Some inventive upperclassmen thought it up. Couldn’t believe it worked. 18 was the drinking age back then.

Stairwell from B-B to the quad was uncovered, decrepit wooden steps. It's a wonder kids weren't killed. After one brutally huge snowstorm, they just dug paths across the quad over the existing sidewalks. If you weren't near an intersection where the sidewalks crossed, the snow was so high you couldn't see anything but the sky.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jennie87

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom