Wednesday Articles | Syracusefan.com

Wednesday Articles

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
I am temporarily filling in for Orangeyes as he recovers from surgery. Get well soon Dan. War Damn Orangeyes!

-febb73bda4794a30.JPG

Hop Watch

Mike Hopkins No Longer a Candidate for the BC Job (PS; Waters)

Syracuse basketball assistant coach Mike Hopkins is no longer a candidate to become head coach at Boston College, a source told syracuse.com Tuesday.

The source said that Boston College officials informed Hopkins on Tuesday morning that the school was "going in a different direction'' in its search for a new head coach.

Hopkins had interviewed for Boston College's open head coaching position over the weekend.

ESPN's Jeff Goodman broke the news of BC's decision to move on from Hopkins in a tweet this morning

Field Narrows for BC Job (Boston Globe; Vega)

After Harvard coach Tommy Amaker removed himself from consideration last Saturday, the field of candidates for Boston College’s men’s basketball coaching job was narrowed further Tuesday when Syracuse assistant Mike Hopkins and St. Bonaventure head coach Mark Schmidt were taken out of the running, according to sources familiar with the search.

Hopkins, 44, a native of Laguna Hills, Calif., and a former Syracuse player who has served the last 19 seasons at his alma mater as an assistant/coach-in-waiting to Hall of Fame coach Jim Boeheim, interviewed in Boston over the weekend but returned home without an offer, according to the sources.

How We Met Syracuse's Next Basketball Coach (TNIIAM; McClusky)

"So what's the point to all of this, dad?"

Besides blatantly ripping off the ending of a once kind of popular television show? Well, I guess the point is there is not a perfect ending for programs like Syracuse basketball (or for popular TV shows, for that matter). You think it's over when a legendary coach steps away, but the thing is, it can survive. Syracuse can survive without Jim Boeheim and even Mike Hopkins. The story goes on even when you think it's done. Yup, there'll be ups and downs, but SU hoops, kids, is always one helluva good story to tell at any time.

Duke Assistant Wojciechowski New Marquette Basketball Head Coach (NewsObserver.com; Keeley)

After Duke assistant Steve Wojciechowski was offered the head-coaching job at Marquette on Tuesday morning, he called his boss of 15 years, Mike Krzyzewski.

“My first question to him was if he had any interest in being my associate head coach and doing halftime interviews,” Wojciechowski said, drawing laughs at the news conference in Milwaukee introducing him as Marquette’s coach. “Surprisingly, he said no and that I couldn’t afford him.”

After the initial joke was out of the way, Krzyzewski gave his longtime protégée some real advice: Be yourself. With that, after a whirlwind 24 hours that included an interview, a job offer, feelings of excitement and anxiety and tears of sadness and joy, Wojciechowski, 37, signed on for his first head-coaching job. Details of the contract were not available.

Recruiting

Class of 2015 Combo Guard Franklin Howard Will Announce Choice April 14th (PS; Ditota)

Franklin Howard, a guard from the Class of 2015, will announce which college he plans to attend on April 14 — his birthday.

Howard, a 6-foot-4 guard who plays for Paul VI Catholic High School in Fairfax, Va., includes Syracuse among his final suitors.

Howard, a four-star prospect according to various recruiting services, tore his ACL during the summer league circuit last season and is easing his way back onto the basketball court. He has been described as a shooting guard and a point guard. His AAU coach, Keith Stevens, said Howard's passing skills, combined with the volume of guards in the Team Takeover program, made Howard primarily a point guard.

Miscellaneous

JB Wants NCAA's NBA Process for Underclassmen Changed (PS; Ditota)

Last year, Michael Carter-Williams had a few brief days to determine the course of his basketball career.

The former Syracuse point guard finished his sophomore season when the Orange lost to Michigan in the national semifinals on April 6. The source of NBA speculation because of his 6-foot-6 size and his ability to run a basketball team, Carter-Williams then had about a week to determine whether he would leave Syracuse or play another college season.

Carter-Williams, in that short NCAA-mandated span, declared for the NBA Draft and was subsequently selected by Philadelphia with the 11th pick. But his mother, Mandy Carter-Zagarowski, said then the process was less than perfect.

"He talked with us and he talked with the (Syracuse) coaches," Carter-Zegarowski said. "And I think there was definitely a feeling that this was the year for him to come out. I still think it's a risk. I think it's a shame that they have seven days to decide (their basketball futures)."

Tyler Ennis has already declared his intention to leave Syracuse after one season. Jerami Grant has not made a public determination about his basketball future.

14607505-mmmain.jpg

SI's Jack McCallum On JB's Feelings on Depth, Dessert and Duke (PS; Carlson)

Looks like his book on JB is going to be entertaining...
Easy question to start. What's your favorite behind-the-scenes Boeheim story?
We're in Buffalo, out to dinner, and we're talking about what constitutes dessert. We're talking about profiteroles. Do you know what those are?

I believe they're something you can't afford on a newspaper salary
You can look it up. So he says, "they're filled with ice cream." I don't eat them often — they're a French dessert — but I say, "Oh, when I've had them it's usually been a pastry cream." He says: "That's not right, every single time I've had them it's been ice cream." So I say, "Well, I've had them four times and every time it's been with pastry cream."

I don't know why I'm telling you this. There's no way you'll have room for it.

Go on, the internet has endless amounts of space.
Well, I've had them four times and I know every time they've had God damn pastry cream. And he goes, "Well I've had them 30 times and every time they've had God damn ice cream." I Google it at the table. In the first sentence, it says, "a french dessert usually filled with pastry cream." Sentence 2 says, "In America occasionally served with ice cream."

I look and say, "See?" And he goes, "Well, what (bleeping) country are we in? We're in the United States."

Three days later he was still claiming victory in the profiterole argument.

Former Players

14612899-mmmain.jpg

MCW Wins 3rd Eastern Conference Rookie of the Month Award (PS; Murray)

March was a rough month for Philadelphia 76ers rookie Michael Carter-Williams. The 76ers went 1-15 during the month as part of an NBA record-tying 26-game losing streak.

However, the month ended on a positive note as the 76ers topped the Detroit Pistons on Saturday to stop the streak.

There was more good news on Tuesday as Carter-Williams was named the Eastern Conference rookie of the month.

Carter-Williams led rookies in scoring (14.9 points per game), rebounds (8.4), assists (6.5 ) and steals (1.8) in March.

Last edited: