Wednesday Articles | Syracusefan.com

Wednesday Articles

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
I am temporarily filling in for OE as he recovers from surgery. Get well soon Dan.

SU News

-adaf6924fc385d77.jpg

SU and Georgetown Rivalry Will be Renewed (PS; Ditota)

Syracuse and Georgetown will renew the college basketball rivalry that captivated both fan bases starting in 2015-16.

The schools issued a joint statement today to announce striking a deal for a four-year, home-and-home series. SU officials had long proclaimed their desire to continue the series, which has generated huge fan support in Syracuse and Washington, D.C.

...Attendance at Verizon Center has suffered for it. Georgetown’s average attendance plunged 20 percent in its first season in the revamped Big East, down from 10,911 in 2012-13 to 8,670 in 2013-14, according to NCAA data.

But nothing packs Verizon Center like Georgetown’s games against Syracuse, the foe Hoya fans most love to hate. A record crowd of 20,972 packed Verizon Center for the schools’ final regular season clash, in which the Hoyas routed their long-time nemesis, 61-39, to complete a regular season sweep in March 2013. Syracuse leads the series, 49-41.

1383549511362522071.jpg

Georgetown-Syracuse Basketball Series to Resume in 2015-16 (washingtonpost.com; Clarke)

“It’s something that I don’t think ever was in doubt,” Georgetown Coach John Thompson III said in a telephone interview. “We were going to do this. It’s a game, it’s a tradition that not only means a lot to both institutions but means a lot to college basketball.

syracusetifo.0_standard_709.0.JPG

SU Recruits React to Revival of Hoya Rivalry (PS; Ditota)

Chris McCullough, Class of 2014: "I've always wanted to play against them, so I think it's good. I never really liked Georgetown. I watched a lot of the games between Syracuse and Georgetown. I watched the 30 for 30 show on the Big East and those Syracuse-Georgetown games were intense. I always wanted to be a part of that."

Kaleb Joseph, Class of 2014: "I think it's pretty cool. It should be fun. I've actually never seen a Syracuse-Georgetown game, but I've heard a lot about the history of it."

Tyler Lydon, Class of 2015: "I'm really excited about it. I know a kid from Brewster (Academy), Isaac Copeland, who's going to Georgetown. Me and him have had a couple of matchups over the years. Georgetown has a great system and a great history and it'll be a lot of fun to play against those guys. I'm looking forward to it. I watched a couple games and I know that they had a lot of great history."
Frank Howard, Class of 2015: "I'm excited about it. Syracuse and Georgetown were in my final schools. I have a lot of love for Georgetown. It's a great, historic rivalry and I'm glad they're renewing it. I know a lot of people will be looking forward to it. I live about 20-25 minutes from Georgetown, so it'll be personal for me, a hometown thing."

8 Important Answers About the SU-Hoya Rivalry (PS; Carlson)

Let's start with the inevitable question whenever there is a big game. Is this finally the game you'll move the court to the middle of the Carrier Dome?
Giansante: How do I answer that? We studied that aggressively for the Duke game and I think everyone would concur that this year's Duke game went off in spectacular fashion. It's hard to see how anything could be better than that, but you always look at all your options. I'd assume when Georgetown comes we'll have a similar atmosphere and a similar crowd.

Are there any current plans to go that route for any game in the future?
Giansante: We have all the data from when we worked on it before. It was an extremely detailed discussion. We still have all that data and information on the shelf. We haven't taken it off the shelf.

Do you want this to become an annual series?
Giansante: You have to be mindful about looking that far out. There could be unforeseen changes on the landscape. Having contracts go that far out in basketball is rare. In football you see it, but this is extremely long in basketball. The nature of the contract shows we want the rivalry to continue. Whether it's every year or something regular, you're always looking for things that work.

They're Back. Hoyas to Play Syracuse in 4 Game OOC Series Starting in 2015-16. Five Thoughts (PS; Axe)

Syracuse University basketball fans got some very good news on Tuesday as it was officially announced that Syracuse will renew their rivalry with Georgetown in the 2015-16' season.

Here are five thoughts on one of the greatest rivalries in college basketball making a comeback.

12310359-mmmain.jpg

SU-Hoya May Not Have Same Juice But Worth Reviving (PS; Poliquin)

OK, here's my nickel's worth on today's announcement concerning the renewal of the Syracuse-Georgetown basketball series with the upfront warning that it might not be worth two cents.

maxresdefault.jpg

Tyler Lydon's Flight Gets Delayed But He Will Join Malachi Richardson at USA Basketball Tryout (PS; Ditota)

Tyler Lydon was, if not quite panicked this morning, a little anxious as he awaited updated information for his rescheduled flight.

Lydon is headed to Colorado Springs to join future Syracuse basketball teammate Malachi Richardson as the two attempt to make USA Basketball's U18 team this week. Richardson tweeted that he had safely arrived at his destination. But Lydon was still stuck in Albany late this morning.

"I got a text this morning that my flight was cancelled because there was no crew," Lydon said by telephone. "I'm nervous about it, but at the same time I'm excited to go out there and show them what I can do."

Richard Hamilton Realizes Mistake, Enrolls at SU This Week (PS; Waters)

The NBA Finals are taking place in Miami on Tuesday with Game 3 between the Miami Heat and the San Antonio Spurs.

Outside of Miami, though, Syracuse appears to be the hot-spot for the NBA this week.

For the seventh consecutive year, Syracuse University is hosting Sportscaster U., a three-day program for current and former NBA players to learn about the broadcasting industry. This year's group of students includes nine players, including Richard Hamilton and Kris Humphries.

Vote for the Best SU Player to Ever Wear # 10 (PS; Waters)

Finalists for jersey No. 10
Jimmy Lee

For those too young to remember, Jim Lee was Gerry McNamara before the legendary GMac was born.

Lee played for Syracuse from 1972 to 1975. As a senior, he was the co-captain of Syracuse's team that advanced to the 1975 Final Four. That was the first Final Four appearance in SU history.

Other

Crunch Expected to Announce Game at Carrier Dome in Presser Today at 1 PM (PS; Kramer)

The Syracuse Crunch is planning a major announcement at 1 p.m. on Wednesday, and the location of its gathering likely indicates the gist of the news.

It's in Syracuse University's Carrier Dome.

Or, as it will probably be known for a night in November, the host of a Crunch contest against Utica.

The Dome gathering suggests that both sides have signed off on a deal that concludes months of planning and negotiations. Crunch owner Howard Dolgon agreed to the lease in May; now it appears that Syracuse University officials have inked it as well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom