Wednesday Articles | Syracusefan.com

Wednesday Articles

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
I am temporarily filling in for OE as he recovers from surgery. Get well soon Dan.

SU News

tyler-lydon-layup-usajpg-9fbf02dde0268e17.jpg

Tyler Lydon Practicing with USA Basketball Under 18 Team in Colorado Springs

Tyler Lydon on Making Team USA: 'I'll Never Forget This as Long as I Live' (PS; Ditota)

The news, when it came, smoothed a snarl of frustrating transportation delays and concerns. It turned the two-day travel nightmare into a surreal culmination of a dream.

Nobody knocked on Tyler Lydon's door Sunday morning. Nobody from USA Basketball summoned him from slumber to deliver the devastating news that he had been cut from the U18 team. Nobody sent him home to Pine Plains, where Lydon spent last Tuesday and Wednesday wondering if he would ever reach Colorado Springs to try out for the chance to represent his country.

Tyler Lydon, bound for Syracuse University and ranked No. 59th by ESPN in his Class of 2015, learned on Sunday that he had made the United States U18 team that will play for a FIBA World Championship later this month.

"Oh, it's mind-boggling," Lydon said late Monday night, after practice ended in Colorado. "I still can't even believe that I'm playing for Team USA. It's such a huge honor. And I'm so thankful for this opportunity and for everyone who's helped me get here."

A series of flight delays and cancellations nearly deprived Lydon of the chance to compete for a spot on the team.

-82f3c8b015711713.JPG

2014 NBA Draft: Consensus Mock Draft Predictions Say Tyler Ennis Unlikely Lottery Pick (PS; Axe)

The 2014 NBA Draft is just over a week away (June 26) and the mock drafts are heading into over drive.

It's just one example in a crowded field, but NBA.com compiled a consensus of 12 of the most noted mock drafts around the internet and the results aren't looking so good for former Syracuse guard Tyler Ennis to be a lottery pick according to the so-called experts.

Some early draft projections placed Ennis in or near the lottery (the first 14 picks of the draft) but he has slipped out to a mid-to-late first round pick in most mocks.

SU Hoops 2014-15 Schedule So Far (PS; Waters)

The 2014-15 schedule for the Syracuse University basketball team won't be complete until the Atlantic Coast Conference releases the dates and times for its games in late August.

But the dates for several of Syracuse's non-conference games are known.

Syracuse will be participating in the 2K Sports Classic, which has its semifinals and finals at Madison Square Garden on Nov. 20 and 21. In addition to the Orange, the three other teams that will be in New York City are Texas, California and Iowa.

christian-whitejpg-c82387b3f393c89e.jpg

Christian White (right)

Christian White Says He Will Join Syracuse Basketball Program (PS; Waters)

Christian White, a 5-foot-10 guard out of Rochester's Aquinas Institute who played two seasons for Monmouth, says he is headed to Syracuse to play basketball for the Orange.

SU coach Jim Boeheim said by text message today that White is joining the Orange as a walk-on, though there is "always a possibility for aid."

White left Monmouth in April after two seasons. He played in just 16 games last year and averaged 0.9 points. White announced his intentions on Twitter last night and Rochester news organizations have reported he is heading to Syracuse:

Christian White @cdwhite54
Follow

Proud to officially announce I have signed and will continue to play basketball at Syracuse University!! #CUSENATION

6:17 PM - 16 Jun 2014

-rocbasketball02161211.jpg20120216.jpg

Former Aquinas Star Christian White to Transfer to Syracuse (D&C; DiVeronica)

Making the jump from a mid-major college basketball program such as Monmouth (N.J.) University to Syracuse University and the Atlantic Coast conference won't be easy for Christian White.

His size and speed have always been something skeptics questioned, but there's one thing Mike Grosodonia has never doubted.

"I know that his work ethic is crazy and," White's former high school coach at Aquinas Institute said, "he believes in himself."

The 20-year-old from East Irondequoit said he is joining the SU program he grew up following as a fan his whole life. He's transferring from Monmouth, where he played his first two seasons. NCAA transfer rules prohibit the 5-foot-10 combination guard from playing in games next season, but he can practice with the Orange and he'll have two years of eligibility starting in the 2015-16 season.

"I'm a big believer in everything happens for a reason," White said, "and I'm just so excited (Syracuse) is giving me this opportunity now."

Former Players

11030516-large.jpg

Roosevelt Bouie Trying to Bring NBA D-League to Rochester (PS; Axe)

Former Syracuse University basketball star Roosevelt Bouie is trying to bring an NBA D-League franchise to Rochester.

The team would begin play in 2015.

According to WHAM-13 in Rochester, no specific NBA franchise has been identified that would be affiliated with Rochester, but that could be worked out shortly.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom