Week 10 of season-specific reminiscing -- 1987 | Syracusefan.com

Week 10 of season-specific reminiscing -- 1987

Eric15

Living Legend
Obviously we couldn't not do 1987. I was in Kindergarten here so I don't have any personal memories to share. Let's hear your favorite memories and most legendary anecdotes.

Who here went to the Sugar Bowl?

Obviously we couldn't not do 1987. I was in Kindergarten here so I don't have any personal memories to share. Let's hear your favorite memories and most legendary anecdotes.

View attachment 167647

I was at the Sugar Bowl game.

Slept on the floor of my buddy's hotel room (his Dad got them a room, and I just crashed there), saved my $ for Hurricanes at Pat O'Brien's. ;)
I also somehow managed to steal a Bass Ale mirror from there, stuck it under my jacket, and nonchalantly walked out right past the bouncer - no idea how he didn't notice the huge oval outline under my zipped up coat, but he didn't. :p

The game - just remember feeling like we had it in the bag, since all we had to do was keep them from driving the length of the field on that last drive.
We were all just dumbstruck when they trotted out the FG unit - WHO goes for the TIE in a bowl game???!!!
:rolleyes:

Needless to say, we were all in a surly mood the rest of the evening.
One of my fraternity brothers got into a fight with a very drunk Auburn fan. It was kinda hysterical, he grabbed the guys sweater and pulled it over his head, like a hockey fight.
Only, it came right off in his hand! He's standing there for a moment holding a sweater in his hand, contemplating his next move.
So, he clocked the guy with his other hand, and the guy went down like a sack of potatoes. We hightailed it outta there ASAP.

ELF Pat Tie and Auburn. I will loathe that school for all of eternity because of that. :mad:

I saw 3 away games that year:
  • Rutgers: Not much to say about that game or the dump of a stadium
  • Navy: Anyone who hasn't seen a game at Navy-Marine Corps Memorial should do so. Get there early to watch the Midshipmen enter. When in the parking lot, we were approached by a little old lady (possibly older than Methuselah) who was selling crab cakes out of a picnic basket covered with a red and white checkered cloth. For $1 each. They were small, and on a Saltine cracker. But they were the best damn crab cakes I ever had. I ended up chasing her down the aisle to get more.
  • Sugar Bowl: New Orleans, as many have attested here on this board, is wonderful. I couldn't live there - I'd be dead inside of 6 months. But a fabulous place to visit. Went to the game and ended up sitting next to two drunk Auburn fans. Whenever something didn't go their way, one would scream, "Sheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeit - kiss my a$$!" (said, impossibly, as almost one syllable). He got a little out of control, but his partner tried to reign him on. By the end, he shook our hands and said, "Good game." Other than that, most Auburn fans were friendly. After the game, walking from the Superdome, we were next to some Auburn fans. The money quote: "We KNEW we had a defense. We didn't know you had one too."
Great, fun year. The day after the bowl game, we were at the River Walk, and who comes running past us but Donnie Mac, followed by a few teammates. Just flying down the walk for the pleasure of it. Fun trip.

View attachment 167647

Like you, I was young (only in second grade), so no firm memories of away games or the like. But a couple things come to mind:

- Cutting out the Post Standard insert (“Let’s Go 6-0”) the week before the Penn State game and hanging it in our living room window;

- my parents had season tickets, but my father hurt his back the week before the West Virginia game, so he stayed home. Memory is fuzzy but I believe we listened to it on the radio...

Let’s hope last year was our way back to sustained success the way 1987 was. Even typing this I can’t wait for the season!

View attachment 167647
It was a great season. The Penn State game might have been the loudest blowout in Dome history. We had what, 18 years of supressed rage that was excised that day.

I went to the Sugar Bowl. First time I saw people openly urinating in public (on Bourbon Street). First street I ever walked down that smelled distinctly of urine (also Bourbon Street). I think it is a great place to go to if you drink. If you don’t...it isn’t quite as appealing.

Ran into a lot of Auburn fans before the game, walking the streets of the city. They were very cocky and dismissive of Syracuse. A lot of them wore buttons that said ‘Piss On Syracuse’. That was a mistake. Shortly after those buttons came out, Syracuse fans started wearing ‘F*uck Auburn’ buttons. They were shocked. Really thought they were somehow better than us.

They liked to say ‘War Damn Eagle’ to us, like it was a clever saying. How stupid.

After the game, most of the Auburn fans were in shock that their coach was such a coward and disgusted with his decision to not try to win but settle for a meaningless tie. No one in the stadium thought he would do something so senseless and lame. It is a shame the game ended that way. It featured some great players on both sides and some of the most violent collisions and hits I have ever seen in one game.

On New Year’s Eve, there is a big celebration in NO at Jackson Square, with live music and fireworks. It was pretty fun but shortly after midnight, most of the crowd, including us, headed towards downtown. It was packed with people, all walking down the street together. Suddenly everyone stopped. I looked ahead and saw why. There was a violent knife fight going on between two guys, with the crowd opened into a circle and the fighters inside it. I think a policeman eventually arrived and broke it up and we were able to resume our journey to our hotel.

But as we made a turn, there was a series of ear splitting bangs. A guy was firing shots from a pistol at another guy. Maybe 10 yards from us. Some froze, some ran. We ran. Later we read stories in the paper about both incidents.

That place is a little too wild for me.

I was still living in the Adirondacks then, our first house, a big A Frame on a hill with a deck around it. I would have been 11. I remember we couldn't get all the games, and many I had to watch in black and white as we didn't have cable and reception was bad. After the wins I would run around the deck yelling "CUSE, CUSE, CUSE!" Eventually tripping, just to pop up and continue my charge.

Did not see the West Virginia game live, had to listen to the call on the radio. Logan was Glorious. It was this season that locked me into Syracuse sports for life. The city may have been 2 hours away, but for us up in the mountains, they were our team. I cried after the Sugar Bowl loss as I would after the Illinois Elite 8 loss later that year. I've never once wavered in the 32 years since. Go Orange, thank you 87.

Penn State. Freeze option to Rob Moore, first play of the game. Touch down! My ears are still ringing.

Loudest I have ever , ever heard the dome.

Owens for 2 was even louder.

I went to the Sugar Bowl. First time I saw people openly urinating in public (on Bourbon Street). First street I ever walked down that smelled distinctly of urine (also Bourbon Street). I think it is a great place to go to if you drink. If you don’t...it isn’t quite as appealing.

Bourbon Street is great when you're young and/or you're a functional alcoholic, but after that there are way better streets/neighborhoods of New Orleans for a more laid-back and less smelly vibe.

I was there for that too. Pretty close
It was very close and hard to differentiate. I think the difference might be that the Penn State explosion was at the start of the game, when everyone was 100% and ready to go. The WVU explosion was at the end of a close, long., very exciting game when some people were perhaps not 100% strong in energy or voice.

I hope we have another contender or two coming this season.

It was very close and hard to differentiate. I think the difference might be that the Penn State explosion was at the start of the game, when everyone was 100% and ready to go. The WVU explosion was at the end of a close, long., very exciting game when some people were perhaps not 100% strong in energy or voice.

I hope we have another contender or two coming this season.

and some "fans" had left the dome before the end of the WV game since SU was down with little time on the clock.

View attachment 167647

1987 was the year I got married. My wife and I actually planned to attend the Penn State game between the wedding ceremony and reception. The date didn't work so we missed the Colgate game instead. I think that was the game Ted Gregory was injured. I firmly believe if Ted was fully available for the Sugar Bowl that SU would have won going away.

Besides the exciting games, the season and dome were fun. We still had the Dome Ranger. I think even the Beast of East was still attending games. I think M&T Bank had spirit buttons for each game that were generally pretty corny. Y94 and its morning dj Big Mike promoted the team avidly. There was a parody song the week of the Penn State game, "The Lion Weeps Tonight," to the tune of "The Lion Sleeps Tonight." Another parody song was "Donny Mac, You're My Quarterback." That song was played for Don at the Orange Pack luncheon the Tuesday before the game much to Don's embarrassment.

1987 was exciting and it was fun to be part of it. My hearing has almost recovered from the Penn State and WVU games.

I know our schedule wasn't the toughest and it was a different era, but look at our points allowed(169 total), what a great defense we had. This was my junior year, and an incredibly fun one. wasn't at the bowl game, but almost kicked my TV in watching it.

1987 was awesome and I missed all of it. I was stationed onboard the USS Saratoga CV-60 at the time and we were doing a Med cruise during the summer and fall of 1987. My mother would send me the whole sports section from the Syracuse paper so I could catch up. We were a couple of days out of home port and I got to listen to the BC game live on Armed Forces Radio Network.

My favorite memory was of the Penn State game. My best friend was from PA and is Penn State fan. I heard the score on the AFRN and went to wake him and tell him. I told him the score was 48-21 and he said "oh, we kicked your ass"...I told him to slow down we kicked PSU's...he didnt have a word to say. A couple days later, we pulled in to Naples Italy and I went to the USO to call home. The entire call consisted of my father giving me a run down of the game. I had to make a second call home the next day to talk to the rest of the family. Upon our arrival back to homeport in November, my father handed me a VHS tape of the game and we watched it in my office on the ship. I made sure to invite several PSU fans to watch...It was great...

Cant wait for another long run of great seasons...

1987 was my freshman year at SU. I lived in Sadler and pretty much all of the guys on the floor had season tix.
I had been an SU fan since the early 80s and had only seen one SU game in person- Donnie Mcs freshman year at VT since my sister was attending there. I never imagined the season would go the way it did. The momentum started early in the UMD game and kept building until the PSU game. Most people probably can't imagine a packed Dome when the team takes the field, but that game had so much buzz even before that, so that first play to Rob Moore released so much potential energy- it really was incredible. And then the undefeated season being capped off by the 2 pt conversion at the end of a physically and emotionally draining game was like a fairy tale. I really hope we can have another season like it.

1987 was the year I got married. My wife and I actually planned to attend the Penn State game between the wedding ceremony and reception. The date didn't work so we missed the Colgate game instead. I think that was the game Ted Gregory was injured. I firmly believe if Ted was fully available for the Sugar Bowl that SU would have won going away.

Besides the exciting games, the season and dome were fun. We still had the Dome Ranger. I think even the Beast of East was still attending games. I think M&T Bank had spirit buttons for each game that were generally pretty corny. Y94 and its morning dj Big Mike promoted the team avidly. There was a parody song the week of the Penn State game, "The Lion Weeps Tonight," to the tune of "The Lion Sleeps Tonight." Another parody song was "Donny Mac, You're My Quarterback." That song was played for Don at the Orange Pack luncheon the Tuesday before the game much to Don's embarrassment.

1987 was exciting and it was fun to be part of it. My hearing has almost recovered from the Penn State and WVU games.
Coach Mac left Gregory in the game when it was a blow out. Ugh.

It was a great season. The Penn State game might have been the loudest blowout in Dome history. We had what, 18 years of supressed rage that was excised that day.

Ran into a lot of Auburn fans before the game, walking the streets of the city. They were very cocky and dismissive of Syracuse. A lot of them wore buttons that said ‘Piss On Syracuse’. That was a mistake. Shortly after those buttons came out, Syracuse fans started wearing ‘F*uck Auburn’ buttons. They were shocked. Really thought they were somehow better than us.

They liked to say ‘War Damn Eagle’ to us, like it was a clever saying. How stupid.

After the game, most of the Auburn fans were in shock that their coach was such a coward and disgusted with his decision to not try to win but settle for a meaningless tie. No one in the stadium thought he would do something so senseless and lame. It is a shame the game ended that way. It featured some great players on both sides and some of the most violent collisions and hits I have ever seen in one game.

On New Year’s Eve, there is a big celebration in NO at Jackson Square, with live music and fireworks. It was pretty fun but shortly after midnight, most of the crowd, including us, headed towards downtown. It was packed with people, all walking down the street together. Suddenly everyone stopped. I looked ahead and saw why. There was a violent knife fight going on between two guys, with the crowd opened into a circle and the fighters inside it. I think a policeman eventually arrived and broke it up and we were able to resume our journey to our hotel.

But as we made a turn, there was a series of ear splitting bangs. A guy was firing shots from a pistol at another guy. Maybe 10 yards from us. Some froze, some ran. We ran. Later we read stories in the paper about both incidents.

That place is a little too wild for me.
I hate the SEC, moreso now that I live in the south, and am no Auburn fan, but, to be fair to them, 'War Eagle' and the game day probably alcohol influenced 'War Damn Eagle' have been an Auburn montra for generations. It is completely normal for my wife, an alum, to say it to anyone she sees wearing Auburn clothes. It's the same as 'Go Orange' or 'Go Cuse' to us.

Last edited: