Week 12 of season-specific reminiscing -- 1995 | Syracusefan.com

Week 12 of season-specific reminiscing -- 1995

Eric15

Living Legend
This was McNabb's freshman year. We opened on the road in Chapel Hill, and nobody really knew up until a few days before whether he, Kevin Johnson or Keith Downing would be the starter. We won an efficient, low-scoring game 20-9 to get the season off on a great note. Following week was just the quintessential home 90s SU gut-wrencher. Went up 21-0 against ECU at home and lost.

From that point on in the regular season, we beat the teams we were favored against and lost to the teams that we weren't. And of course the year was punctuated with taking Clemson behind the woodshed in a rainy Gator Bowl. Finished the year a solid #19 and 9-3.

Did anyone here...
-Attend McNabb's first ever game?
-Attend the Gator Bowl?

Screen Shot 2019-07-29 at 3.27.49 PM.png

I don't think that WVU score is correct. I recall shutting them out 22-0. That looks like the 1996 score. It was significant because they had shut us out the two years prior.

The 1995 WVU game had the McNabb to Harrison 96 yards TD that lit up the Dome.

BC game was a ton of fun, the little I remember. That tailgate started at 6 am. Another big revenge game against a program that looked like they were passing us by.

McNabb was a magician the first half of that Miami game, jumping out to a 24-14 lead. But Abrams and Ponds being out ended up being too much for us to overcome.

I went to the Gator Bowl. Complete domination. To this day I still think that at season's end, the 1995 team was one of the better teams we've ever had.

I don't think that WVU score is correct. I recall shutting them out 22-0. That looks like the 1996 score. It was significant because they had shut us out the two years prior.

"Wikipedia is the best thing ever. Anyone in the world can write anything they want about any subject. So you know you are getting the best possible information." -Michael Scott

(You're right, 22-0 was the 1995 score)

Saw the 1st 8 games before running out of steam and then saw BC.

UNC was fun, the drive back, not so much, NFL on the radio all day was cool though.

Then on Monday, versus the pokes, the Giants retired Phil Simms #11.

The only touchdown the Giants scored that night was Simms to a drunk LT wearing flip flops at halftime.

Brutal.

WVU was a torrentially rainy day with the long Harrison touchdown, that I remember. I think that was the only game I attended that season.

Rained off and on at the Gator Bowl.

We were sitting in the last row of the lower section and had a slight overhang above us.

Stayed dry the whole day.

There was a convoy of dejected Clemson fans working its' way up I-95 after the game.

My first interstate road trip with my future wife was the Gator Bowl. On the way down we stayed at her friends in Cary, NC and watched SU Hoops get soundly roused by Marcus Camby's UMass team and then by some crazy coinky dink, one of the high school bands at the Gator Bowl halftime was from Cary, NC. On the way back saw the Tommie Frazier run over Florida at some bar in Columbia,SC. We camped on topsail beach before it got washed away in like 98?

Also, WVU's 7 in that 30-7 game was two safeties and a FG, whatever, year it was they played it.

Rained off and on at the Gator Bowl.

We were sitting in the last row of the lower section and had a slight overhang above us.

Stayed dry the whole day.

There was a convoy of dejected Clemson fans working its' way up I-95 after the game.
I was impressed by the number of tiger paw flags I saw on vehicles driving down from Hilton Head... it seemed like every car had at least one.

That was a great game.

We were young (low 20s) and poor and took a greyhound bus to Jacksonville. It was every bit as bad as it sounds. Every. Bit.

Clemson students in our hotel hung out with us for awhile, we played drinking games. They were weird but nice and harmless. They drove us down to the landing where I proceeded to have one of the most fun NYE's of my life. Paid the price a bit for the early game, but rallied to do my part.

Those Clemson fans were such a confident, bordering on cocky bunch (Raymond Priester is gonna run all over y'all's a$$). We kept telling them they were in for a surprise but they wouldn't have any of it. Northern football couldn't compete with them. After the game, we bought a bunch of the 42-0 signs that they print immediately after the game for sale. Went back and stuck them on the front of their hotel room doors. Win with class, I always say.

What a blast that trip was. Weather wasn't great, but returning to about 20 feet of snow in Oswego made it seem tropical.

On the way down we stayed at her friends in Cary, NC and watched SU Hoops get soundly roused by Marcus Camby's UMass team .
My roommate had an altercation with Camby that game and nobody came to help. At that point I knew that game was lost.
My other roommate was on the football team and there was a good vibe about the team. We knew McNabb was the starter well before the UNC game (kinda knew during his redshirt year). Fun team with lots of good guys. I did a semester abroad this year, and chose to stay in Syracuse for the fall semester because nobody thought the hoops team would do much. My last hoops game was to have been at Rutgers before flying out to Italy. I got halfway there and they closed the GSP. The game was snowed out. Gator Bowl was the night before our flight I think and I got to see my roommate (a walk-on) get in as a severely undersized DT (260) and Clemson called an audible and ran it right at him. I think they ran an inside counter and he was doubled by the guard and pulling guard. He was blown up, but the run got stuffed as it was obvious where the play was going. At least that’s how I recall it. He’d argue that.

Clemson students in our hotel hung out with us for awhile, we played drinking games. They were weird but nice and harmless.
While I was in Florence, we had something of an exchange program with Clemson, who’s program was in Bologna. All in all good guys, but thank god we won.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom