Week 9 of season-specific reminiscing -- 1997 | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Week 9 of season-specific reminiscing -- 1997

My dad broke his ankle the week of the Tulane game playing lunch break basketball at the Y. He made the game on crutches, but decided to leave early and accept the loss to beat the crowd. He didn’t know we won until a 13 year old me sprinted to the catch him before he reached the Fine Lot. We never left another game early...

I think the injury on McNabb in the Virginia Tech game was a separated shoulder, and for some reason I remember hearing or reading both were separated.

There was a clear fumble by K State that you could see on replay and I believe Antonio Anderson recovered.
Not entirely sure but pretty confident Antonio Anderson was already with the Cowboys this year. If I recall, he was going to leave in 1995, but stuck around for 1996 to learn from Ed Orgeron.

Not entirely sure but pretty confident Antonio Anderson was already with the Cowboys this year. If I recall, he was going to leave in 1995, but stuck around for 1996 to learn from Ed Orgeron.
You may be right. Again, my memory is a bit fuzzy but what I do remember is the fumble and how it killed our chances to comeback against a damn good team.

We were up 24-6 early in the 4th quarter of that Tulane game, and they had 1st and goal down 24-18 with a minute left. Really dodged a bullet there -- that would have been just the quintessential home 1990s gut-punch game.

I think the injury on McNabb in the Virginia Tech game was a separated shoulder, and for some reason I remember hearing or reading both were separated.
I'm reminded of a JB quote: "McNabb with a separated shoulder at 30% is still better than anyone else."

I thought that it was that he had two sprained ankles [seems more likely than a separated shoulder [or two!], which would be much more difficult to bounce back from].

I'm reminded of a JB quote: "McNabb with a separated shoulder at 30% is still better than anyone else."

I remember always thinking that Keith Downing could have been a very serviceable QB if he just had a year where he wasn't behind McNabb.

That was the season when I thought we had the best shot at winning a national title. So many weapons on offense, with tons of experience. Defense had big time play makers in the secondary, and giants on the defensive line. Schedule was challenging, but not overwhelming (as it was a year later).

I've never been more disappointed after an SU loss than I was after NC State.

To me, 1997 is the one that got away. Should have been magical.

Schedule was challenging, but not overwhelming (as it was a year later).

1997 was almost certainly the weakest year in Big East football history. We were the only team that finished in the Top 25 and finished 21st. Miami hit rock bottom. Va Tech lost to Miami-OH at home a couple weeks after beating us and got destroyed in their bowl game. We were talented, but I don't know, just kind of reckless and disorganized I guess.

I thought that it was that he had two sprained ankles [seems more likely than a separated shoulder [or two!], which would be much more difficult to bounce back from].
It may not have been two. I'm pretty confident he had a separated shoulder though. Depending on the grade, you can come back from that about as quickly as a sprained ankle.

It may not have been two. I'm pretty confident he had a separated shoulder though. Depending on the grade, you can come back from that about as quickly as a sprained ankle.

I stand corrected if true.

That was the season when I thought we had the best shot at winning a national title. So many weapons on offense, with tons of experience. Defense had big time play makers in the secondary, and giants on the defensive line. Schedule was challenging, but not overwhelming (as it was a year later).

I've never been more disappointed after an SU loss than I was after NC State.

To me, 1997 is the one that got away. Should have been magical.

NC State crushed me. The Oklahoma loss I was so sleep deprived and wasted because my frat had a volleyball tourney and I went to yanks game night before. Ended up being longest 9 inning game. Irabu got racked. I wore my Red Sox hat and got a bunch of stuff thrown at me. Glorious night

We were up 24-6 early in the 4th quarter of that Tulane game, and they had 1st and goal down 24-18 with a minute left. Really dodged a bullet there -- that would have been just the quintessential home 1990s gut-punch game.

Yep, Still have my unripped season tix for that day. I can tell you with 100 percent certainty it was 9-20-97, because I got married.

I can also tell you it was one of those 6pm starts because I saw the game from 24-6 much to my new wifeys chagrin. Also if I recall, Tebucky was so far away from everyone he dawdled for like three seconds before scoring to make sure time expired as he scored.

... Also if I recall, Tebucky was so far away from everyone he dawdled for like three seconds before scoring to make sure time expired as he scored.

Yup, such a heads-up play.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom