Welcome to SU -- The New Linebacker U! | Syracusefan.com

Welcome to SU -- The New Linebacker U!

dinosaurbbq

2nd String
We've gone from a position of need to a great position of strength in a short time. After losing Diabate two years ago, Spruill and Coker last year and with losing Dyshawn Davis, Cam Lynch, Arciniega and Kirkland after this year, LB was a real position of concern for depth and talent. Diabate and Spruill ended up extremely solid college players and leaders and I expect the same of Davis and Lynch this year with solid back up from Arcinega and Kirkland.

Those concerns are wiped out now! Last year's haul of four 3 star talents Zaire Franklin (high 3*), Parris Bennett, Colton Moskal, Jonathon Thomas followed up now by this year's pickups at LB -- Shyiem Cullen, Doyle Grimes, and now Troy Henderson have us stocked at LB for the foreseeable future. Of course, I'm assuming those three commit in February and rise in star ratings between now and then. This defense breeds playmakers and I'm glad we've brought some great ones in!

Also Hogue and Smith before them. Hardnosed starts at the linebacker spot on defense and we've got/had some crushers there. With this years class added to last year we are set for that freight train to keep rolling.

Cam lynch and dyshawn davis are each capable of all acc calibre years. This could be the best duo we've had in a long time.
Agreed.

I actually feel that Lynch is under-valued and under-appreciated. He might be our best LB this season. Too bad he didn't RS his freshman year.

I feel bad singling them out, because they did nothing but come to a school that offered them and worked as hard as they could...but we've come a long way since the starting LB group in 2007.

And because I like to see the positives, Jake Flaherty belts out a much better National Anthem than the girl from Frozen did last night.

I feel bad singling them out, because they did nothing but come to a school that offered them and worked as hard as they could...but we've come a long way since the starting LB group in 2007.

And because I like to see the positives, Jake Flaherty belts out a much better National Anthem than the girl from Frozen did last night.

I still have nightmares of 3rd and long vs Pitt. Mele had Lesean McCoy dead to rights 5 yards short of the sticks in the open field... tries to arm tackle and bounces off. McCoy goes for 15-20 and the first down.

I saw Dyshawn walking through Manley a couple weeks ago, he looks like a monster. With his athleticism, and injury free, the sky is the limit for him.

I've always loved Lynch, loved the pickup when we got him. He's done nothing but the right things since he got here. Great role model.

I believe Hodge, although undersized for the middle, is one of those guys who has a knack for making plays. He'll be fun to watch over the next 3 years.

As far as the underclassmen go, sky's the limit. 7 LB commits for 2014/2015, all of which might've been at the top of our recruiting hauls a mere 4/5 years ago. And this doesn't even take into account Alryk Perry and PJ Batten, which at the very least are lengthy athletes, if they bulk up they've got as much potential as anybody as well.

I love LB depth because it translates all over the field, especially Special Teams, which are primarily built for LB/RB types.

Depth, depth and more depth... We're deeper than we have been in a very very long time.

Agreed.

I actually feel that Lynch is under-valued and under-appreciated. He might be our best LB this season. Too bad he didn't RS his freshman year.
Lynch had a monster year last year. It was overshadowed though by spruills incredible year. If we arent going to be wide out u soon, we'll certainly be lb

I saw Dyshawn walking through Manley a couple weeks ago, he looks like a monster. With his athleticism, and injury free, the sky is the limit for him.

I've always loved Lynch, loved the pickup when we got him. He's done nothing but the right things since he got here. Great role model.

I believe Hodge, although undersized for the middle, is one of those guys who has a knack for making plays. He'll be fun to watch over the next 3 years.

As far as the underclassmen go, sky's the limit. 7 LB commits for 2014/2015, all of which might've been at the top of our recruiting hauls a mere 4/5 years ago. And this doesn't even take into account Alryk Perry and PJ Batten, which at the very least are lengthy athletes, if they bulk up they've got as much potential as anybody as well.

I love LB depth because it translates all over the field, especially Special Teams, which are primarily built for LB/RB types.

Depth, depth and more depth... We're deeper than we have been in a very very long time.

Whenever I'm having a bad day I watch this and things just seem to get better.

Linebacker U. Haha! I was just thinking the same thing this morning and the first page I open up to on the interwebs is, of course, the Syracuse forum and there's dinobbq making the statement. Love it.

I remember that play so well. We were all fired up for that game, tailgating was hot n heavy, was ready to stomp Rutgers. When that hit happened, life was great.

Excited about Henderson! Lakewood (Cleveland) St. Ed's is a powerhouse program and consistently one of the top teams in all of the Midwest. They have a bunch of D1 players every year.

I still have nightmares of 3rd and long vs Pitt. Mele had Lesean McCoy dead to rights 5 yards short of the sticks in the open field... tries to arm tackle and bounces off. McCoy goes for 15-20 and the first down.

My 2007 nightmare is watching Jake Locker (who is very fast to his credit) just dance around Flaherty, Giruzzi, Maljo like they were running in sand.

I remember that, sadly, as well. Although, to be fair, McCoy has made a living doing this against the most talented LBs in the world, so Mele shouldn't feel too bad.

Agreed.

I'm one of those guys who probably under-values Lynch. Love him as a blitzer but I feel like his overall game could get better. A good player, no doubt, but I wouldn't personally think he's an all-ACC type. I'd love to be wrong.

To be fair, McCoy does that to LBs in the NFL. For your example, you could have picked Melee not being able to tackle "Joe" from Maine, or Rhode Island, or...Rutgers. That was a painful era.

My 2007 nightmare is watching Jake Locker (who is very fast to his credit) just dance around Flaherty, Giruzzi, Maljo like they were running in sand.
Yeah, that hurt. If we're really honest with ourselves, that Locker guy sucks.

Just a quick reminder as to how much better Syracuse Football life is today.

August 31 8:00 PM Washington*Carrier DomeSyracuse, New York L 42–12 40,329
September 8 8:00 PM at Iowa*Kinnick StadiumIowa City, Iowa L 35–0 70,585
September 15 12:00 PM Illinois*Carrier Dome • Syracuse, NY L 41–20 34,188
September 22 12:00 PM at #19 LouisvillePapa John's Cardinal Stadium W 38–35 40,922
September 29 3:00 PM at Miami (OH)*Yager StadiumOxford, Ohio L 17–14 16,800
October 6 12:00 PM #12 West VirginiaCarrier Dome • Syracuse, NY L 55–14 35,345
October 13 12:00 PM RutgersCarrier Dome • Syracuse, NY L 38–14 36,226
October 20 4:00 PM Buffalo*Carrier Dome • Syracuse, NY W 20–12 30,897
November 3 12:00 PM at PittsburghHeinz FieldL 20–17 31,374
November 10 12:00 PM South FloridaCarrier Dome • Syracuse, NY L 41–10 38,039
November 17 12:00 PM at ConnecticutRentschler FieldL 30–7 40,000
November 24 7:15 PM CincinnatiCarrier Dome • Syracuse, NY L 52–31 30,040

Some of you scare me with things you remember

Last edited:

Who chose that "descriptive name" for the video? Not what I would have went with.

Just a quick reminder as to how much better Syracuse Football life is today.

August 31 8:00 PM Washington*Carrier DomeSyracuse, New York L 42–12 40,329
September 8 8:00 PM at Iowa*Kinnick StadiumIowa City, Iowa L 35–0 70,585
September 15 12:00 PM Illinois*Carrier Dome • Syracuse, NY L 41–20 34,188
September 22 12:00 PM at #19 LouisvillePapa John's Cardinal Stadium W 38–35 40,922
September 29 3:00 PM at Miami (OH)*Yager StadiumOxford, Ohio L 17–14 16,800
October 6 12:00 PM #12 West VirginiaCarrier Dome • Syracuse, NY L 55–14 35,345
October 13 12:00 PM RutgersCarrier Dome • Syracuse, NY L 38–14 36,226
October 20 4:00 PM Buffalo*Carrier Dome • Syracuse, NY W 20–12 30,897
November 3 12:00 PM at PittsburghHeinz FieldL 20–17 31,374
November 10 12:00 PM South FloridaCarrier Dome • Syracuse, NY L 41–10 38,039
November 17 12:00 PM at ConnecticutRentschler FieldL 30–7 40,000
November 24 7:15 PM CincinnatiCarrier Dome • Syracuse, NY L 52–31 30,040

That Cincy game was the only one I made it to that year. They gashed our defense all day but Taj Smith gave a few reasons to cheer. Still, no one can question my fan hood after making a 200+ mile trek to watch a 2-8 team.

Some of you scare me with things you remember

That is top 5 for most dejected I've ever felt as a fan. 3rd and long and Pitt is just trying to run the clock and punt... and we couldn't accomodate that. It's up there with the Iowa goal line failure, the Rutgers end zone int, and some others i'm repressing at the moment.

That is top 5 for most dejected I've ever felt as a fan. 3rd and long and Pitt is just trying to run the clock and punt... and we couldn't accomodate that. It's up there with the Iowa goal line failure, the Rutgers end zone int, and some others i'm repressing at the moment.

let me lift you up then

That Cincy game was the only one I made it to that year. They gashed our defense all day but Taj Smith gave a few reasons to cheer. Still, no one can question my fan hood after making a 200+ mile trek to watch a 2-8 team.
Outside of the 21 pt loss that was one of the more entertaining games of that season.