Welcome to SU -- The New Linebacker U! | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Welcome to SU -- The New Linebacker U!

Such as Troy Nunes running away from the (was it Michigan?) defense and into his own endzone for a safety?

EDIT: It was Michigan.

Painful...I can still hear myself yelling...What..the other way!!!

I'm one of those guys who probably under-values Lynch. Love him as a blitzer but I feel like his overall game could get better. A good player, no doubt, but I wouldn't personally think he's an all-ACC type. I'd love to be wrong.
I wonder if being from Georgia will help him with any southern voters. I don't think he was recruited/offered by any ACC schools, but he might have a little name recognition on their ballots that some of our players from other regions won't. Could make a difference if all other factors are about equal.

let me lift you up then

Nice try but fun story with that. I was at that game... and forced to leave at half time. Family (my mother, and uncle) were getting antsy and "we werent going to come back". At 14 years old I was a bit heated but what could I do. As we're walking out we hear the crowd erupt which was the KO return to open the half. My aunt almost took me back in but didnt really have a ride home at that point. Watched the end of the game on TV when we got home, seething mad. Great win, still tramatic.

i was having a good day until you reminded me that SU lost to Rutgers at home that year

That awesome play aside, that was one of the harder games to watch in recent history.

Disclaimer: That comment obviously excludes 2005 to 2008. In fact, I'm wiping that from being considered "recent" history. Let's just package it with the 70's and be done with it.

Such as Troy Nunes running away from the (was it Michigan?) defense and into his own endzone for a safety?

EDIT: It was Michigan.

The worst part about that, is that with today's rules, that's not a safety. He was outside the tackle box at least 17 times, and the even though he ran backwards 25 yards, the ball actually traveled about 40 yards, barely crossing the LOS.

Sure would have been nice to kick that FG to tie and then see what could have happened in overtime. Although I can't even recall if OT was a rule yet in 1999.

Basically I'm just saying replay the whole game, but Tom Brady needs to play as equally terrible as he did in that game.

But dammit, look how far we've come in 6 years time! and am I ever excited to see where we are 4 years from now when this current and the prior classes are upperclassmen!

let me lift you up then
Thank you!
Looking back, the call on 1st and goal from the 1 seems questionable. I guess the thinking was that the VT D had stoned Konrad, and the roll-out puts the ball in your Sr. QB's hands in open space, with the option to tuck it and run, throw to a receiver, or throw it out of the back of the endzone to stop the clock. But it almost cost us the chance to win the game.
The look on Beamer's face was priceless.

That awesome play aside, that was one of the harder games to watch in recent history.

Disclaimer: That comment obviously excludes 2005 to 2008. In fact, I'm wiping that from being considered "recent" history. Let's just package it with the 70's and be done with it.
i hardly remember anything about gerg era. the few things I do remember are mostly for the comedy of it.

the only thing gerg was good for was giving me one of my top 5 heckles at a november basketball game when UMass scored 100. "IF I WANTED TO SEE THE OTHER TEAM SCORE 100, I WOULD'VE COME HERE TWO MONTHS AGO." brought the house down in my memory. now i want to start a heckling thread. nothing can compare to boxing for it NOTHING

i don't even remember who mele is. was he a little brazilian soccer whiz? how can anyone remember this stuff?

once i'm invested a little bit, then i remember a lot. i'm amazed at how people don't check out - SUfanNC was spot on and made me laugh.

chip, was the "HEY LOUISVILLE" game a Gerg game or a Marrone game

Last edited:
chip, was the "HEY LOUISVILLE" game a Gerg game or a Marrone game

2006, GRob era. All 37 of their fans could clearly hear us. From across the field and up one deck.

For the record, I think your best one was one of the early 00's Spring game. Before the game started when they were doing the controlled FG kick drills and the ref called someone for offsides. HEY REF, LET 'EM PLAY! I think even Pasqualoni smirked.

2006, GRob era. All 37 of their fans could clearly hear us. From across the field and up one deck.

For the record, I think your best one was one of the early 00's Spring game. Before the game started when they were doing the controlled FG kick drills and the ref called someone for offsides. HEY REF, LET 'EM PLAY! I think even Pasqualoni smirked.
i think it was johnnie morant and he was at least 3 seconds offsides.

my best was at a boxing match at frontier field. crappy boxing is the best. crappy boxers still hit really hard, they just suck at not getting hit really hard.

me and my friends were the only white guys there. some guy named spiderman was getting his brain beat in. perfectly timed "you got your @ss kicked, peter parker!" it brought the house down twice. first was immediate - entire section screaming laughing. then when everything settled down, someone yelled "white boy called him peter parker" and the section went crazy again. i was proud when my kids were born but not that proud - proudest moment of my life.

In this defensive scheme there is absolutely no reason we should not be getting good linebacker prospects year in and year out. The amount of blitzing is a linebackers dream.

Agreed -- There actually are a few positions on D here at SU that ought to look very enticing to playmakers. LB is the biggest, but there are secondary recruits who like contact and those guys generally love to blitz and we put them in position to do that.

As long as we destroy any poor soul who goes over the middle on us I'm happy.

We've gone from a position of need to a great position of strength in a short time. After losing Diabate two years ago, Spruill and Coker last year and with losing Dyshawn Davis, Cam Lynch, Arciniega and Kirkland after this year, LB was a real position of concern for depth and talent. Diabate and Spruill ended up extremely solid college players and leaders and I expect the same of Davis and Lynch this year with solid back up from Arcinega and Kirkland.

Those concerns are wiped out now! Last year's haul of four 3 star talents Zaire Franklin (high 3*), Parris Bennett, Colton Moskal, Jonathon Thomas followed up now by this year's pickups at LB -- Shyiem Cullen, Doyle Grimes, and now Troy Henderson have us stocked at LB for the foreseeable future. Of course, I'm assuming those three commit in February and rise in star ratings between now and then. This defense breeds playmakers and I'm glad we've brought some great ones in!

I think if we fill a position in need, it's sometimes even better than star rankings.