Well, at least we got a recruit after the debacle | Syracusefan.com

Well, at least we got a recruit after the debacle

I'm really glad that Aaron committed.

I'm sure he's going to be a great addition to the OL.

But, in the future I want Florida and GA guys more than I want Illinois guys.

I don't care in they are from Rhode Island if they can play.

This is an example of what 48,000 fans in the dome can do!

Well, after yesterday's "debacle" every 3 and 4 star WR, CB, and S we are recruiting should be committing since they would likely immediately see the field in the 2-deep. ;)

Cheers,
Neil
Neil, you would think that would be the case. Have to wonder if the staff is going to go full bore on d-backs?

Someone want to tell him what the name of the school is?

Well, after yesterday's "debacle" every 3 and 4 star WR, CB, and S we are recruiting should be committing since they would likely immediately see the field in the 2-deep. ;)

Cheers,
Neil
I never get this logic...just like I never got the logic of having so many kids up for the Clemson game which was likely to end how it did. I mean there seems to be a certain subset of logical kids who will commit to a place they feel comfortable and where they know they will see the field a lot and get a ton of experience/exposure. But it seems to me that competitive people would get way more fired up about a program that wins or at least looks good losing when they come to visit. Really happy Roberts pulled the trigger. But I just don't think taking recruiting solace in a loss makes sense. To me that's like going to one of these mega car dealerships where they have the Mercedes parked next to the Subaru's and you drive home the used outback after watching some rich dude drop 85 k on a sweet looking Mercedes...sure you are comfortable in your new outback and you are going to do well on the snow...but something about the experience leaves you feeling wanting. Meanwhile if you outback is parked next to a honda - you are going to feel better about the purchase - just purely psychologically speaking. I'd much rather see them bring kids up when we can be competitive and where the name of the opponent is at least something of a draw - too bad we didn't play Georgia Tech at home this year for example. We NEED to be selling upward momentum in addition to playing time and exposure. Plenty of bad teams in the ACC offer playing time, Rutgers will be bad in the Big 10 and will offer playing time and TV exposure.

I never get this logic...just like I never got the logic of having so many kids up for the Clemson game which was likely to end how it did. I mean there seems to be a certain subset of logical kids who will commit to a place they feel comfortable and where they know they will see the field a lot and get a ton of experience/exposure. But it seems to me that competitive people would get way more fired up about a program that wins or at least looks good losing when they come to visit. Really happy Roberts pulled the trigger. But I just don't think taking recruiting solace in a loss makes sense. To me that's like going to one of these mega car dealerships where they have the Mercedes parked next to the Subaru's and you drive home the used outback after watching some rich dude drop 85 k on a sweet looking Mercedes...sure you are comfortable in your new outback and you are going to do well on the snow...but something about the experience leaves you feeling wanting. Meanwhile if you outback is parked next to a honda - you are going to feel better about the purchase - just purely psychologically speaking. I'd much rather see them bring kids up when we can be competitive and where the name of the opponent is at least something of a draw - too bad we didn't play Georgia Tech at home this year for example.

You are underestimating the impact of playing before 48,000 screaming fans.Lots of schools s can't do that on their best day (Pitt, Maryland, BC, Duke, Wake Forest and Miami for example).
Of course, we struggle as well so when you are going to have 48,000 you get kids up to the dome to feel it.

Lock down that Corner that just decommited from the gurls!

You are underestimating the impact of playing before 48,000 screaming fans.Lots of schools s can't do that on their best day (Pitt, Maryland, BC, Duke, Wake Forest and Miami for example).
Of course, we struggle as well so when you are going to have 48,000 you get kids up to the dome to feel it.
I get that. I don't know... I hope you are right. Sort of unrelated as I knew nothing about recruiting at the time as i was a student and had no clue-- but I remember the Tennessee game at the Dome. That was an incredible atmosphere. That we lost and the way we lost was heartbreaking. And it was pretty upsetting watching the Tennessee fans drinking their jack and cokes and gloating all over Marshall Street. But as much as the loss sucked- you knew that the SU team at the time was special and the crowd was unbelievable. That would appeal to a recruit. getting blown out by a much much much better team in front of a big crowd that leaves early....i don't know maybe 39,000 and a close game vs Georgia Tech would be better. I guess lots of ways to think about it and I'm not sure which is right...not to mention that we don't play Georgia tech at home so sort of a bad example. BC will be bad as everyone is home. Wake is terrible. So not sure when the weekend was to do it - maybe Clemson was the right call.

F0r the record, Miami had 70k+ at a game less than a month ago

personally I wouldn't call yesterday a debacle. Clemson was better, faster, and more athletic and would of taken a great game to beat them. The crowd was great though especially in the first half.

Nice try. That crowd was 50000 gator fans. No way Miami sees that many on their own.

Someone has an overexaggerated view of how well Gator fans travel. Now, was the interest sparked by playing the Gators, sure but no way was the stadium 5/7ths rooting for the Gators.

Cheers,
Neil

I can't help but think what might have transpired if last night's game hadn't been a "debacle," given all the prospects we had on campus.

That said, this is a nice pickup. We needed horses, and this kid has been one of our big ugly priorities for quite awhile. Hope this gets the ball rolling a bit.

Someone has an overexaggerated view of how well Gator fans travel. Now, was the interest sparked by playing the Gators, sure but no way was the stadium 5/7ths rooting for the Gators.

Cheers,
Neil

Neil-
Respectfully disagree. Those gator fans all live in south Florida so they didn't have to "travel" at all. You are underestimating the amount of UF fans in The whole state of Florida. In the area I live, essentially equidistant between Miami and Gainesville, gator fans outnumber cane fans 40-1 (no exaggeration). It's that way throughout the state, except for Dade/Broward where it's probably only 10-1. The best comparison I can come up with from the NE is penn state fans vs Villanova fans in Pa.

Florange44

we only had a couple of kids on campus. most are visiting after the season.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom