Well Franklin, Redemption thy name is NIT | Syracusefan.com

Well Franklin, Redemption thy name is NIT

Trueblue25

Cali Award Magistrate; 2023 Cali Award Rushing Yds
You have your stage.

IF he has any desire to earn a second chance in the eyes of not only JB, but the fanbase as well now is the time.

Why would we expect him to get anything but token minutes?

If there's any remote possibility JB would have him back next year then I think it'd be a great opportunity to get him a head start on mid/bottom ACC level competition.

Give him 20+ mins a game here and if he can play then we can worry a hell of a lot less about our guard situation next year.

Obviously we want to win the NIT, and we ought to. However, this tournament also allows us extra time and solid competition to figure out possible solutions to huge incoming issues.

Why the heck wouldn't we use this as an opportunity to figure out answers for next year? I get it, we want to win. But, sadly, John Gillon's not walking on that court next year.

I heard the details of what he did in the middle/beginning of the year to warrant the possibility of transferring, but to those on the inside, what are the odds Frank is actually not on the team next year?

I heard the details of what he did in the middle/beginning of the year to warrant the possibility of transferring, but to those on the inside, what are the odds Frank is actually not on the team next year?
I've heard everything as well and if I had to guess I'd say he's 98% gonzo but if he has any opportunity to sway whoever the deciders are, it's now.

His interaction, or lackthereof, with JB on the bench after getting pulled against Miami was pretty telling. That being said, would obviously love to see the kid succeed.

I've heard everything as well and if I had to guess I'd say he's 98% gonzo but if he has any opportunity to sway whoever the deciders are, it's now.

With what the roster is looking like now I don't think he leaves. They would have booted him already.

With what the roster is looking like now I don't think he leaves. They would have booted him already.

Agreed. Even if JB manages to get a guard somehow, he likes having some backups. I mean we remember his line about not having anyone to replace Robey when he wanted to...

upload_2017-3-12_21-26-34.jpeg
This sums it up.

If there's any remote possibility JB would have him back next year then I think it'd be a great opportunity to get him a head start on mid/bottom ACC level competition.

Give him 20+ mins a game here and if he can play then we can worry a hell of a lot less about our guard situation next year.

Obviously we want to win the NIT, and we ought to. However, this tournament also allows us extra time and solid competition to figure out possible solutions to huge incoming issues.

The only guy I recall getting more minutes in an NIT run to prep him for the next year was Hakim Warwick in 2002. Aside from that JB typically just rolls out his usual lineup and minutes allocation. I'd be pretty stunned if Gillon played less than 35 minutes at the point against Greensboro.

Why the heck wouldn't we use this as an opportunity to figure out answers for next year? I get it, we want to win. But, sadly, John Gillon's not walking on that court next year.

Giving Howard 20 minutes instead of 7 does nothing for next year. If the kid comes back, he needs to improve his game tenfold. He's not a good basketball player and lacks every skill a PG has. Getting extra minutes in the NIT isn't going to magically improve his attitude or ability.

Very sad. I think we ought to make the best of this opportunity and give him run though. Or, I guess, even give Tyus battle run at the point. I don't know. I'm very startled about next year.

Giving Howard 20 minutes instead of 7 does nothing for next year. If the kid comes back, he needs to improve his game tenfold. He's not a good basketball player and lacks every skill a PG has. Getting extra minutes in the NIT isn't going to magically improve his attitude or ability.

In game experience against potential teams like Indiana/Georgia/Cali/etc. does nothing to improve a sophomores game?

I think it can be, at worst, sobering for the kid.

Lacks every skill a PG has? He's the best passer on our team, like him or not. He makes some boneheaded turnovers but he's a sophomore with limited in-game experience it happens.

I don't agree with that. Not about whether he comes back or not but that he would be gone already. Jb needed the body right now.

In game experience against potential teams like Indiana/Georgia/Cali/etc. does nothing to improve a sophomores game?

Lacks every skill a PG has? He's the best passer on our team, like him or not. He makes some boneheaded turnovers but he's a sophomore with limited in-game experience it happens.
I think we are beyond that at this point.

I think we are beyond that at this point.

In terms of he's gone? Or do you just don't think he has what it takes even with an off season of getting his crap together?

I don't agree with that. Not about whether he comes back or not but that he would be gone already. Jb needed the body right now.

That's very true, but there is risk of telling him to take a hike now and having Battle as the only signed guard right now.

That's very true, but there is risk of telling him to take a hike now and having Battle as the only signed guard right now.
I have to believe that we have to have something in mind.

I hope so. Washington and a 5th year guy would be a nice start.
and also show me something on the recruiting trail this year. Let's not concede players because they are big time.

Making fancy passes occasionally does not make him a good passer. He throws awful passes all the time. His weak handle makes him leave his feet or pick up his dribble, leading to bad passes.

Just because nobody else on our team is a better, fundamental passer, doesn't mean Frank is a good one.

Maybe he can develop into a quality player, but those skills don't look to be there yet. I just don't think an extra 10-12 minutes in some NIT games are going to add much to his future. If he can develop his skills and improve a lot in the lost important facets, I think that'd be a lot more beneficial to his outlook.

Our lineup should be

PG: Gillon
SG: AW: Shoot the ball 60 times to put up the numbers
SF: TT: Only defense. Only defense
PF: TR: Give him a last go around
C: DC - Let him play

Don't let Lydon/Battle show too much so they get ideas about the draft...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom