Well I know where I'd start to try and fix this... | Syracusefan.com

Well I know where I'd start to try and fix this...

Jake

Mod
The top of the zone. We really need our guards to do a better job of denying the entry pass to the high post. The guards that we have on his team have so little experience in our zone that they don't have the instincts yet. I'd like to see more battle at the top of the zone because he can do some things defensively that we need and maybe he can get out in transition .

We are getting absolutely no points in transition and this team is not really built for the half-court right now

If we can create an easy baskets it'll take pressure off the half-court offense and I think will be fine. But if we continue to lead team shoot 50% from the field I don't care what we do on offense we're not gonna beat people.

Gillon's size at the top of the zone is a killer, because teams can shoot over him or make entry passes over him easily.

And someone needs to show some motherf'er out there.

And on another random thought, if I see Chukwu let two people behind him in the press again my heads going to explode .

I'd start by teaching and drilling fundamentals on both ends of the court. Not many of our players seem to be able to perform them with any competency or consistency at the moment. Start with the feet and work upwards.

Hopefully Thompson isn't out long. Can't afford to lose him. I'd start playing him more along with Battle.

But wholeheartedly agree about creating transition baskets. We weren't good at that last year, and this team might be worse.

Long season left, but the outlook for next year's team is frightening.

I get that they played some soft teams by comparison before last week, but they were running folks off the floor over the first 4 games. Transition buckets led to swagger which led to good play on both ends, even in some half court sets.

No easy buckets seems to have broken these guys the last week.

I'd start by teaching and drilling fundamentals on both ends of the court. Not many of our players seem to be able to perform them with any competency or consistency at the moment. Start with the feet and work upwards.

And for the love of God, GET YOUR GODDAMNED HANDS UP ON DEFENSE!!! Chukwu would be so much better if he took his hands off of his knees. Can't stop any passes going over your head from that position. It's true for all of our guys. Have they never heard Mark Jackson's 'hand down man down?'

Roberson to the bench. Howard and Battle up top. Lydon and White on the wings. DC/Chukwu at C. Gillon and Thompson used sparingly.

That's where I would start.

Howard-Battle-White-Lydon-DC at least has potential to grow defensively and create mismatches on offense.

And for the love of God, GET YOUR GODDAMNED HANDS UP ON DEFENSE!!! Chukwu would be so much better if he took his hands off of his knees. Can't stop any passes going over your head from that position. It's true for all of our guys. Have they never heard Mark Jackson's 'hand down man down?'

Andrew White was burned tonight because his hands weren't up on defense. Kid buried a three right over him. Fundamentals.

Roberson to the bench. Howard and Battle up top. Lydon and White on the wings. DC/Chukwu at C. Gillon and Thompson used sparingly.

Howard-Battle-White-Lydon-DC at least has potential to grow defensively and create mismatches on offense.
Two rebounds for Roberson...JC man.

Roberson was getting killed with those foul calls. If he is getting called going straight up and tipping balls out, then he really has no game. Why does he feel like he can't take two dribbles from the corner and just pop a jumper? Why must he look for contact and miss the bucket?

I don't remember a player who can look so good in one game and be almost useless in another like Roberson. He's been really disappointing. I hope he gets it together for his sake, because he's had some great games for us.

disagree, I would bench the grad guys. go back to the guys that actually came here to play. Roberson is a light years better player than white. we need to go back to the core, if the grad guys can figure out how to play defense and stop playing like chickens with no heads on offense, then they can play.

I don't remember a player who can look so good in one game and be almost useless in another like Roberson. He's been really disappointing. I hope he gets it together for his sake, because he's had some great games for us.

It's over, Johnny. It's never going to happen

disagree, I would bench the grad guys. go back to the guys that actually came here to play. Roberson is a light years better player than white. we need to go back to the core, if the grad guys can figure out how to play defense and stop playing like chickens with no heads on offense, then they can play.
Unless you're a monster size team like some of the UK/UNC teams I hate going with a PF who can't shoot let alone slash or do anything. That just doesn't work anymore.

Even the most recent UNC team had PF's who could slash and make a mid-range jump shot even if never a threat for 3.

Defense: top of the zone let way to much penetration and easy passes to the middle, Syracuse's trademark has been steal and deflections from the top of the zone over the years...we are lacking significantly in that department, back of the line is allowing too many direct passes and falling asleep letting players get behind them

Offense: no ball movement what so ever, no penetration and what kills me the most is wayyyyyyyyy too much 1 on 1 ball, needed to go inside more

Roberson should be coming off the bench and White should never be playing the 2.

And Chukwu should be getting about as much PT as Ethan Cole.

End these experiments already.

Gillon's size at the top of the zone is a killer, because teams can shoot over him or make entry passes over him easily.
Here's a crazy idea - play m2m with Gillon and zone when he's not in the game. Crazy I know.

We simply cannot play zone with a midget unless we're playing other midgets or the other team has no high post threat.

The top of the zone. We really need our guards to do a better job of denying the entry pass to the high post. The guards that we have on his team have so little experience in our zone that they don't have the instincts yet. I'd like to see more battle at the top of the zone because he can do some things defensively that we need and maybe he can get out in transition .

We are getting absolutely no points in transition and this team is not really built for the half-court right now

If we can create an easy baskets it'll take pressure off the half-court offense and I think will be fine. But if we continue to lead team shoot 50% from the field I don't care what we do on offense we're not gonna beat people.

And someone needs to show some motherf'er out there.

And on another random thought, if I see Chukwu let two people behind him in the press again my heads going to explode .

Add to this -- Follow your shot! Nobody on the offensive boards.

Defense: top of the zone let way to much penetration and easy passes to the middle, Syracuse's trademark has been steal and deflections from the top of the zone over the years...we are lacking significantly in that department, back of the line is allowing too many direct passes and falling asleep letting players get behind them

Offense: no ball movement what so ever, no penetration and what kills me the most is wayyyyyyyyy too much 1 on 1 ball, needed to go inside more

Agree on both counts.

Add to this -- Follow your shot! Nobody on the offensive boards.

That's where not having Roberson out there kills us. He's literally the only guy on our team who has any chance of getting an offensive board. Unfortunately it seemed like every time he tried tonight he got whistled for a foul.

That's where not having Roberson out there kills us. He's literally the only guy on our team who has any chance of getting an offensive board. Unfortunately it seemed like every time he tried tonight he got whistled for a foul.

I think your love for players masks who/what they are on the court. Roberson while having some great epic past games looks lost 80% of the time he's on the court.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laxfan516

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom