We're 8-9 in our last 17 games | Syracusefan.com

We're 8-9 in our last 17 games

OrlandoCuse

Living Legend
Two different teams, for sure, but the fact that we are below .500 over the equivalent of half a season is alarming. That 25-0 start and #1 ranking seems like a decade ago.

Two different teams, for sure, but the fact that we are below .500 over the equivalent of half a season is alarming. That 25-0 start and #1 ranking seems like a decade ago.
I thought of that stat last night. Can't remember a prolonged stretch that bad off the top of my head.

For sure a "rebuilding" kind of season, but I still hold out hope that when we get in ACC play we will have competitive (albeit losing games) against the top teams, and be able to beat the lower half teams. Despite the offensive struggles, the team plays hard, there are a lot of athletes, and the defense is good enough to keep us in games. Waiting for the light to come on for a couple of the players. Joseph is still figuring the game out and hopefully will by the end of the season, and the sophomores will eventually step up to provide something in the way of consistent shooting and rebounding.

The "core" right now just doesn't have it, I don't think it's as bad as the TRob/Mookie/McCroskey years, but it looks to be a really rough season. We've been lucky enough lately to lose a lot of talent, but also either return guys who took their game to the next level or get incoming freshman who contributed right away. I do think next year will be fine. We REALLY need these sophomores to show something though, because we're gonna lose Rak and McCullough; and we already know what G and Cooney are. If someone is gonna make the jump like MCW/Fair/Southerland/Rak did, it's gonna have to be a sophomore.

The 2nd Golden Age is officially over.
The class next year should be really good; we just totally swung and missed with this sophomore class (besides Ennis). If McCullough stays there's no reason we won't be top 10 next year.

I'd say the 2nd Golden Age took the year off!

Indeed. I also remember prior to that BC game that our biggest beef here seem to be that there was no way we would wear those two-tone unis, but certainly rather the matching orange shorts. :)

The class next year should be really good; we just totally swung and missed with this sophomore class (besides Ennis). If McCullough stays there's no reason we won't be top 10 next year.

I don't even do the "if _____stays" thing anymore. None of them stay. I can't remember the last one who did. Warrick, maybe?

I don't even do the "if _____stays" thing anymore. None of them stay. I can't remember the last one who did. Warrick, maybe?
Andy Rautins

Andy Rautins

I mean of guys who were getting NBA attention. Andy Rautins averaged like 7-8 ppg off the bench as a Junior and really had just come on at the end of that year. He probably had 0% chance of getting drafted after his Junior year. It was his Senior year where he really came into his own as a very good all around player and got himself in a position to be drafted.

For sure a "rebuilding" kind of season, but I still hold out hope that when we get in ACC play we will have competitive (albeit losing games) against the top teams, and be able to beat the lower half teams. Despite the offensive struggles, the team plays hard, there are a lot of athletes, and the defense is good enough to keep us in games. Waiting for the light to come on for a couple of the players. Joseph is still figuring the game out and hopefully will by the end of the season, and the sophomores will eventually step up to provide something in the way of consistent shooting and rebounding.
we are probably in the "lower half" of ACC teams

I mean of guys who were getting NBA attention. Andy Rautins averaged like 7-8 ppg off the bench as a Junior and really had just come on at the end of that year. He probably had 0% chance of getting drafted after his Junior year. It was his Senior year where he really came into his own as a very good all around player and got himself in a position to be drafted.
I know you were. Just being a wise guy... :)

8-9 is not good, but it seems so much worse because of the year that came before it. Final Four run, 25-0 start, Pitt buzzer beater, unanimous #1 ranking, Duke attendance record on Gameday at the Dome. We were absolutely on top of the basketball world in February. Then the collapse last season and start to this season. Throw in the NCAA investigation, UConn winning the championship, lacrosse, football...the last 10 months have been a pretty miserable time to be an SU sports fan. Probably worth keeping in mind though that things looked pretty bleak in March 13 when Georgetown wiped the floor with us at the end of the regular season. Things have a way of turning around quickly.

CJ Fair

Lets not forget that this 8-9 streak (quality in competition went up) started with a team that had Ennis and Grant. These offensive woes were already there and now magnified since those two and Fair were all better players YET that collapse still happened. Now this situation. Rak and CMac are doing GREAT but I don't know if you can depend on them for a big basket regularly. The younger guys are developing at a snail's pace. Not good.

jdubs30 said:

Until we have at least 2 guys who can hit 3s consistently, we will struggle offensively. Until we have one guy who can shoot the 3, we will struggle to be ranked. It's no coincidence that our slide started when Grant developed back problems. JG was good on the low post and he had a reliable 15 ft jumper. That gave TC more open looks from 3 that he made consistently. When JG got hurt and TC started missing shots it unraveled and we haven't found anyone to fill that vacuum. Unless something changes, we are in for a dark period.
As for next year's class, until they get on campus and start playing against men, you can't assume they will be able to get meaningful minutes and contribute.

Until we have at least 2 guys who can hit 3s consistently, we will struggle offensively. Until we have one guy who can shoot the 3, we will struggle to be ranked. It's no coincidence that our slide started when Grant developed back problems. JG was good on the low post and he had a reliable 15 ft jumper. That gave TC more open looks from 3 that he made consistently. When JG got hurt and TC started missing shots it unraveled and we haven't found anyone to fill that vacuum. Unless something changes, we are in for a dark period.
As for next year's class, until they get on campus and start playing against men, you can't assume they will be able to get meaningful minutes and contribute.

It also seems like our guys are inconsistent about getting out aggressively on 3-point shooters.

We don't hit 'em, and we're making it easy for other teams to make them.

It's gut-check time for our boys in orange. 10+ losses? OK, fine, I can live with that. But, go down fighting. It cannot just be left to Rakeem, Gbinje, and ... to leave it all out on the floor.

Chris is gone. Why do people always try to talk themselves in to people staying? No one stays. Ever. And i bet by season's end, CMac will be higher in Mock Drafts than either Ennis or Grant were. Enjoy him now. He would be putting up Melo numbers if he had a supporting cast like Anthony did.

Chris is gone. Why do people always try to talk themselves in to people staying? No one stays. Ever. And i bet by season's end, CMac will be higher in Mock Drafts than either Ennis or Grant were. Enjoy him now. He would be putting up Melo numbers if he had a supporting cast like Anthony did.

Maybe but I doubt it. He still doesn't really have the strength to finish through contact down low. I like him for sure and agree he's gone .

we are probably in the "lower half" of ACC teams
Yea, maybe "lower half" but hopefully we can beat several of those schools this year in an effort to get to 20+ wins and be NCAA eligible.

Yeah I agree... if we have mccullough and Coleman next year - we are legit title contenders.

McCullough and Rak leave after this season. It's going to be a really young team next year again that will rely on freshman for key contributions...with the 2 top scorers and rebounders gone and a team in search of new leadership and go to guys. Next year will be a tough year too. Just being realistic.

TBCuse11 said:

I enjoy team wins. Individual stats, not so much. So far there hasn't been much to enjoy. This season looks very much like the Don't Greene season. I hope things change for the better, otherwise McC goes the way of Greene in my SU memories (i.e. purged )

No he wouldn't. One of the impressive things about CMac's game is his mature shot selection. He rarely forces, rarely takes bad shots. In fact, that's one of the things that differentiates him from younger players--especially ones who can shoot. He's nothing like Donte Greene, who was a jacker. And he's not much like Carmelo Anthony, who is / was a volume scorer.

McCullough is a lot more like Derrick Coleman--who amazingly never led the team in scoring during his time at SU, despite being an all-time program great. I'm not comparing their games / individual talents specifically [although there are some similarities]. Just pointing out that he is cut more from that cloth than Anthony's.

No he wouldn't. One of the impressive things about CMac's game is his mature shot selection. He rarely forces, rarely takes bad shots. In fact, that's one of the things that differentiates him from younger players--especially ones who can shoot. He's nothing like Donte Greene, who was a jacker. And he's not much like Carmelo Anthony, who is / was a volume scorer.

McCullough is a lot more like Derrick Coleman--who amazingly never led the team in scoring during his time at SU, despite being an all-time program great. I'm not comparing their games / individual talents specifically [although there are some similarities]. Just pointing out that he is cut more from that cloth than Anthony's.

Agreed. He definitely takes good shots and is patient. I have been VERY impressed with him. He can't really help right now being so thin and how it takes away from being able to finish through contact. He definitely plays hard and his weakside help D combined with his shot blocking prowess has been refreshing to see. He was just a split second late closing out on those threes vs StJ. It's not like he didn't try. He had a hand up but it wasn't enough. StJ just has some gritty, seasoned, and frankly better players collectively.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom