We're shooting a SMOOTH 68.5% from the line this year... | Syracusefan.com

We're shooting a SMOOTH 68.5% from the line this year...

Rocco

Watching you.
How, on earth, is that possible?

This might be the best shooting team JB's ever had. Free throws are like a severe mental block for Cooney, Gbinje and Roberson.

I just don't get it how year in and year out, we cannot shoot better than that.

The insane part is 68.5% for the year puts us in the top 185 nationally.

We should call Deandre Jordan for free throw instruction.

Cooney is 27 for 36 for the year from the free throw line and two of those he just chucked at the rim with 2 seconds left against a+m up 9 so really hes 27 for 34 or 79.5%

Roberson's regressed. I'd bet that Lydon (of the perfect stroke) is going to regress.

It's not a point of emphasis, it's not going to be, and that's frustrating.

In a perfect world, we'd bring in Jimmy Lee for some real instruction a couple times per week. In this world, Syracuse has a finite number of hours devoted to practice time and free-throw shooting instruction takes a back seat to other drills and reps.

This is as much a coaching issue as it is anything else. Every year we underperform in FT shooting, often woefully. Its not a coincidence, I've been to the practices. FT's are not a focus and never have been. They roll the ball out and say shoot X many free throws, all the while the kids are talking about their nights before, what they are doing for the weekend, where they are going that night etc. There is no focus and no concentration and no urgency and this is/has/will be a chronic issue until something changes.

How, on earth, is that possible?

This might be the best shooting team JB's ever had. Free throws are like a severe mental block for Cooney, Gbinje and Roberson.

I just don't get it how year in and year out, we cannot shoot better than that.

The insane part is 68.5% for the year puts us in the top 185 nationally.

They need to find a way to get TC the ball at the end of games for this purpose. They need to get him using more head fakes and getting into the body of defenders more (to his credit, he's strong enough to absorb bumps and still get balls up to the rim).

And, anyone that knows my posting history, knows my assessment of TC. I'm not a super fan.

But in this case, he needs to be our closer at the FT line.

You'd think after all these years of these kids playing basketball, they'd get the muscle memory part of it and nail these consistently. This is for all college and pro players, not just Cuse.

"How, on earth, is that possible?

especially playing small ...4 guards and a skinny post dude with range.
should be in the 90's.

I can't lie, I can't tell you that I'm something I'm not
No matter how I try
I'll never be able to give you something
Something that I just haven't got

I love to blame coaching whenever possible but I can't here. These are D1 basketball players. They should be able to shoot 70% with their eyes closed.

Maybe the team should start shooting free throws granny style.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoachDiddi

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom