Were we better than any team we've played this year? | Syracusefan.com

Were we better than any team we've played this year?

SWC75

Bored Historian
Coming into the year, the concept was that USC was way beyond our capabilities and we could probably forget about Missouri, as well. Louisville would be heavy favorites over us. We would have to see what we could do against the other teams to have a successful season.

USC just lost to go 7-6, (the most losses ever for a pre-season #1 ranked team). We beat Missouri, who had a losing record and blew out Lousiville. Cincinnati was 10-3, Northwestern 9-3 and Rutgers 9-4. All of them beat us but we outgained all of them by a combined 449 yards. Minnesota wound up 6-7 and we beat everybody else.

Were any of these teams really better than we were?

Coming into the year, the concept was that USC was way beyond our capabilities and we could probably forget about Missouri, as well. Louisville would be heavy favorites over us. We would have to see what we could do against the other teams to have a successful season.

USC just lost to go 7-6, (the most losses ever for a pre-season #1 ranked team). We beat Missouri, who had a losing record and blew out Lousiville. Cincinnati was 10-3, Northwestern 9-3 and Rutgers 9-4. All of them beat us but we outgained all of them by a combined 449 yards. Minnesota wound up 6-7 and we beat everybody else.

Absolutely not. As I said in another thread, I wish we had another shot at everyone we lost to. Looking back at on-the-field results, we were at least the equal of everyone we played this year.

Looking back, if we had to replay the schedule again knowing what we know now, I would feel good about beating every team on the schedule. I think we're better than every team on our schedule. Really wish we had cleaned things up a little earlier and squeezed out another win or two because this team could have been 9 or 10 wins good without the self-inflicted wounds.

Looking back, if we had to replay the schedule again knowing what we know now, I would feel good about beating every team on the schedule. I think we're better than every team on our schedule. Really wish we had cleaned things up a little earlier and squeezed out another win or two because this team could have been 9 or 10 wins good without the self-inflicted wounds.
And with Pugh healthy all season.

Yup, that too -- probably cost us a win or two early on. Lots of what-ifs in life so I'm not going to go crazy.

Nonetheless, it really was a fun year to watch Syracuse football. A lot of fun.

I think that was a huge key. When you get good blocking and can run the ball better, you will have fewer turnovers. With Pugh back and Hickey and Trudo replacing Alexander and Foy, we became more balanced and stopped making so many errors, (even if it wasn't immediate), and started beating teams regularly.

And that's why rebuilding the offensive line will be the key for next year, even more than who wins the QB derby.

Right now we would beat any team on our schedule. When we played the games, however, there were 5 teams better than us. You can point to mistakes all you want but mistakes are a big part of any sport. Good teams eliminate the mistakes we made in our five losses. By the end of the season we had eliminated most of the costly mistakes.

So to summarize right now we are better than all out opponents. We weren't all season though.

And that's why rebuilding the offensive line will be the key for next year, even more than who wins the QB derby.
Absolutely. One side of the line will be fine - pretty damn good actually. Macky/Trudo/Hickey. Foy, Palmer, Robinson, Phillips, Knapp, plus JUCO's, lots of promising options there. Really I think we just need to nail down the other OT spot. Guard will be fine.

Loeb could have a really nice year. Run-first offense, let the pass game open up on its own terms. Gotta love Hackett's comment about Charley trying to hurry up after the screen to PTG so that he could get another snap.

Absolutely. One side of the line will be fine - pretty damn good actually. Macky/Trudo/Hickey. Foy, Palmer, Robinson, Phillips, Knapp, plus JUCO's, lots of promising options there. Really I think we just need to nail down the other OT spot. Guard will be fine.

Loeb could have a really nice year. Run-first offense, let the pass game open up on its own terms. Gotta love Hackett's comment about Charley trying to hurry up after the screen to PTG so that he could get another snap.

Eventually I'd like to get the program to the point where the back-up quarterback can play enough that not only will he have some significant game experience but we will have had a good look at what he can do. Who knows what Loeb can do? Who knows what Kinder is capable of or Hunt? Is Broyld really a college quarterback? We never got to see.

The problem is, coaches are lotahe to pull out their #1 quarterback. Even in the 90's when he had alot of blow outs we didn't see a lot of the back-up guys. Still it was more than we've seen of Charlie or the others.

Just the ones who beat us.

Sent from my Vortex using Tapatalk 2

Just the ones who beat us.

Sent from my Vortex using Tapatalk 2

Yeah, I know. "You have the record you deserve". But sometimes the better team loses a game. Not the better team on that day- the better team on the season. All I'm saying is, looking back I don't think we played a team we couldn't have beaten and maybe shouldn't have beaten. I'd favor our team as it is now over all of them.

We were not better than nw, Minnesota, Rutgers, cinci, or USC. Lets not get arrived away here the first 5 games matter

We were not better than nw, Minnesota, Rutgers, cinci, or USC. Lets not get arrived away here the first 5 games matter
Id like to play them all now

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

SU near the end of the season was. SU near the beginning of the season wasn't.

A key point is that we were much healthier at the end of the year versus the beginning of the year. I'm sure that had a big impact on our end of season performances.

A key point is that we were much healthier at the end of the year versus the beginning of the year. I'm sure that had a big impact on our end of season performances.

I am not trying to start an Internet argument, this is a serious question, but who other than Pugh wasn't healthy at the start of the season?

Yup, that too -- probably cost us a win or two early on. Lots of what-ifs in life so I'm not going to go crazy.

Nonetheless, it really was a fun year to watch Syracuse football. A lot of fun.

The OL changed with the UConn game. Pugh was back well before then. The diference on O was going back to more under center and two TE sets that opened up the running game. The system and play calling were tweaked while keeping the up tempo.

I am not trying to start an Internet argument, this is a serious question, but who other than Pugh wasn't healthy at the start of the season?

Lemon

Right now we would beat any team on our schedule. When we played the games, however, there were 5 teams better than us. You can point to mistakes all you want but mistakes are a big part of any sport. Good teams eliminate the mistakes we made in our five losses. By the end of the season we had eliminated most of the costly mistakes.

So to summarize right now we are better than all out opponents. We weren't all season though.

UL fan here. There is no argument from Louisville. We were beaten on both sides of the line. The best Big East team will not be in the Sugar Bowl. Great beat down of WVU. Their fans have lived on our site since they received a Big 12 invite. Said they were two touchdowns better than any Big East team. Going to the ACC is a dream for us and ends a great year. Nobody is happier than Rick because Jim gave him his first real job. One of my best friends in the business world is close to Jim and known him for some 40 years. Said the last year has been awful for him. Said Jim is loved in the community and at Syracuse. His only mistake was loyalty. He's a great interview and has always been kind to Rick and UL. We are taking some pretty good basketball teams to the ACC from the Big East in the next two years. Look forward to the ACC but will miss MSG. By the way we have ten starters on offense and eight on defense back next year.

USC 1-85 is by far a better roster. SU maybe has one player as good as their first 10 talent wise. They have had a ton of injuries and Kiffen hasn't helped them at all. Other than on the OL I have a hard time thinking who on SU would start ahead of the kids that started for USC this year.

As far as your other assertions, I never thought Missouri or Louisville were heavy favorites.

USC 1-85 is by far a better roster. SU maybe has one player as good as their first 10 talent wise. They have had a ton of injuries and Kiffen hasn't helped them at all. Other than on the OL I have a hard time thinking who on SU would start ahead of the kids that started for USC this year.

As far as your other assertions, I never thought Missouri or Louisville were heavy favorites.

I think you mean 1-75.

USC no. Cincy and NW maybe, maybe not. Everyone else, yea without a doubt.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

T
The OL changed with the UConn game. Pugh was back well before then. The diference on O was going back to more under center and two TE sets that opened up the running game. The system and play calling were tweaked while keeping the up tempo.
They never went under center unless they ran th tank package.

T
They never went under center unless they ran th tank package.

Not true the majority of the inside zone runs were from a two TE set and from under center. The second TE lined up as a slot/wing and protected backside almost like a counter allowing the runner more choice in where to run.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmom4503

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom