What a frustrating last 5 minutes | Syracusefan.com

What a frustrating last 5 minutes

NineOneSeven

2018-19 Iggy Hoops Leader Scorer
Wow. Worst all season, in my opinion. Team didn't quit but missed FTs, wide open wake 3s, bad turnovers, and yes some tough calls. Battle play including fouls really hurt us.

Frustrating to let wake steal this game without their best scorer. Road games are tough but we need them. That's what killed us last year.

Bummer.

Totally agree with you. Everything we tried backfired and they kept hitting their free throws. What really killed us was the 3 three pointer in a row from the corner. No way should they have been open for 3 in a row from the same darn corner. Then all of a sudden our free throw shooters can not find the basket. Lets hope we got all of our screw ups out tonight. Curious why we seen Sidibe for about two minutes then not again?

Fatigue in the last 4 probably led to defensive mistakes and missed shots. Playing just 6 guys is taking a toll.

We will have a lot of close games this year. We took gtown and maryland, we lost bona and wake.

Definitely hurt ourselves tonight though!

Fatigue in the last 4 probably led to defensive mistakes and missed shots. Playing just 6 guys is taking a toll.

This is a huge factor. After the first few games I really loved this teams chances of evolving into a contender but Thorpe quitting and the Sidibe injury are both huge huge blows.

We have 2 guards and 1 center in the rotation... that just doesn’t work for a full season.

Totally agree with you. Everything we tried backfired and they kept hitting their free throws. What really killed us was the 3 three pointer in a row from the corner. No way should they have been open for 3 in a row from the same darn corner. Then all of a sudden our free throw shooters can not find the basket. Lets hope we got all of our screw ups out tonight. Curious why we seen Sidibe for about two minutes then not again?

Wake was 14-24 from the foul line, we were 18-23. The fact that Wake missed so many free throws is why we even had a chance late, before the made 5 of 6 down the stretch. Battle was horrible tonight and it was the reason we lost. I'm not hating on him, just keeping it real. We won't win many games when Battle has as big as an off night as he did tonight, not with our rather anemic offense. If he plays to his averages, we win. The fact that Wake lost their best player for most of the game and we didn't capitalize on that gift was terribly disappointing.

Wow. Worst all season, in my opinion. Team didn't quit but missed FTs, wide open wake 3s, bad turnovers, and yes some tough calls. Battle play including fouls really hurt us.

Frustrating to let wake steal this game without their best scorer. Road games are tough but we need them. That's what killed us last year.

Bummer.

Part of the frustration was it sounded more like Camillus Middle School than a road game. Blown opportunity for sure.

They missed so many free throws at the end, handing us the game. They shouldn't have been able to close it out. We let them.

Probably right, but I wouldn't count on a road win in ACC beyond Pitt.

I think the fatigue factor mentioned above contributed to the lackluster finish. We got beat back up the floor, didn't protect the ball, and were flatfooted when the ball was on the rim during that stretch.

edit: Oh yeah, and when we ran, we ran like we were tired, too. No bounce in the step.

The fatigue factor will be there all year, and all of our games will most likely be close.

Battle and Howard better get used to playing 40 minutes - they aren't coming out unless there's foul trouble in probably any ACC game

The fatigue factor will be there all year, and all of our games will most likely be close.

Battle and Howard better get used to playing 40 minutes - they aren't coming out unless there's foul trouble in probably any ACC game

Well, no crap to you but that's one way they get into foul trouble. I realize you're not making it happen that way, but it's true nonetheless. Six less minutes per game can arguably translate to one less foul, but when you play all 40 you get tired which also leads to fouls. The feet stop moving and the arms start reaching.

And I thought one reason Chuk and Frank weren't stronger on the ball at the end is because they were bagged.

Last edited:
JB needs to change how he prepares teams to play on the road.

They missed so many free throws at the end, handing us the game. They shouldn't have been able to close it out. We let them.
if wake could hit their ft's down the stretch they easily win by 10. also fouls aren't always a bad thing. sometimes it's the best play. we can't afford to even give "good" fouls. so we play soft defensively.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom