What a weird season | Syracusefan.com

What a weird season

swish7

All Conference
The only thing normal about this season is the February Swoon and "yet another 20 wins".

The BC loss was a real gut-punch. It's the gift that keeps on giving. If it weren't for the BC loss, the losses at Duke and UVA would be ... tolerable. Instead, it just leaves me festering on the the low scoring, the ridiculousness of those miracle wins (cue perspectivites!), the shooting slumps, the lack of a bench, every unenforced Fair turnover, etc.

Instead, I should be elated by a 26-3 season. We all should.

The DC injury; the snakebite is back! Yet, we all "no big dealed" it.
Such high expectations.
Such warning signs that it was a facade; that the expectations were nowhere near the reality. I'm sorry, if you are 25 and frigging 0, and you don't have high expectations, then why bother?
Then, the BC gut check.
Then a close loss with a controversial call.
Then, and I am sorry, a manhandling. Juxtapose their fundamentals with that of Keita trying to score.
And now the potential for Grant to be at a diminished capacity for the next few months.

It just feels like this season is going to end Richmond Spiders style.

Yet, here I am hoping for all this team's positives to again matter. The defense is stellar. It's a shame it has to suffer this offense.

I need to get off the ledge. Great 8 or bust.

As I've said many times already, the best way to describe this season is "strange".

I would say weird qualifies as well :).

On paper this team's record is immaculate with the exception of BC. If you go through 29 games and have only lost at Duke and at surging Virginia, you are golden. The problem we all see is that the BC game wasn't really a fluke. We have played some very poor ball since Feb 2.

There is, of course, reason to be optimistic in that we have found ways to win most of the games where we play poorly. We absorbed the DC2 and BMK injuries without a serious punishment. But losing Grant is a devastating blow and seriously compounds the loss of DC.

Our guards wearing down seriously damages our chances to beat any team out there. If the tournament started today and we had a 1 seed, I would be concerned about making history. Just watching this team over the past month, we can all see they are a shell of what they were previous to that. And this decline started before we lost Grant so we are really hanging on by a fingernail right now.