What bothers me most about Boeheim | Syracusefan.com

What bothers me most about Boeheim

GooseMutt

All Conference
is his temperament. He has always been ornery and tough but he has taken it to a new level. I believe that the zone has not been effective because of all the new players ' learning curve and general basketball IQ. No question we have athletes. But the way Coach is quick to single players out and publicly berate them is hard to watch. It doesn't set well for me as a fan and I can only imagine the players perspective. Coach is suppose to be a mentor and have your back. Playing issues should be addressed in the gym not at the podium. It's hurtful and hard to watch. Coach appears to have become jaded beyond repair and has forgotten the premise of nurturing young men and instead it's win at all costs even if it means destroying a players confidence and self esteem. I've said before that with his current behavior, no way in he l l would I want my kid being coached this way. Give me Wright or Izzo at this point and good luck recruiting young men you're scaring the heck out of as they watch you throw players under the bus. JMHO

is his temperament. He has always been ornery and tough but he has taken it to a new level. I believe that the zone has not been effective because of all the new players ' learning curve and general basketball IQ. No question we have athletes. But the way Coach is quick to single players out and publicly berate them is hard to watch. It doesn't set well for me as a fan and I can only imagine the players perspective. Coach is suppose to be a mentor and have your back. Playing issues should be addressed in the gym not at the podium. It's hurtful and hard to watch. Coach appears to have become jaded beyond repair and has forgotten the premise of nurturing young men and instead it's win at all costs even if it means destroying a players confidence and self esteem. I've said before that with his current behavior, no way in he l l would I want my kid being coached this way. Give me Wright or Izzo at this point and good luck recruiting young men you're scaring the heck out of as they watch you throw players under the bus. JMHO
Just remember, after JB in front of everyone said that cringeworthy- if i had anybody else...SU went to the FF and TRob played great after that. But yes so far this season it aint working

it's win at all costs
Actually many are starting to believe he'd rather lose with his philosophy than try something else and swallow his pride.

Actually many are starting to believe he'd rather lose with his philosophy than try something else and swallow his pride.
We all know JB goes pretty far on the stubborn spectrum. I dont have any answers only small observations. The vast majority of JBs most successful teams had VETERAN program guys leading the team. Munroe and Triche in 87, Sherm and DC in 89, Wallace and Simms in 96, Rautins and Onuaku in 2010, Scoop and Triche in 2012, Triche and CJ in 2013, G and Cooney in 2016. JB values veteran program (ie 3-4 yr) leadership, no question! Ironically, the outlier to that was the 2003 team. He only had Duany and he won his only NC. But he doesnt have veteran program leaders this year, the only candidates would be DC and TR and he has basically benched them, and they havent been leaders. He obviously also doesnt have a Carmelo nor a Gmac (as a player that is). I think we can basically admit this season will be very very tough. If JB has one or two seasons left i hope he can get back to his comfort zone- but that would have to be with a nucleus of TL and FH. Who knows maybe those two can be comparable to say Wallace and Simms in 96...who knows

Why do I have a feeling that everything about Boeheim bothers you?

Why do I have a feeling that everything about Boeheim bothers you?
Not true. I love and respect him for what he has done for us. I just think that it may be time for change. If he showed more public love and respect for the players I would hang in there no problem. I am sometimes embarassed by his behavior and it's sad. Name another current coach that acts similarity at press cinferences

Not true. I love and respect him for what he has done for us. I just think that it may be time for change. If he showed more public love and respect for the players I would hang in there no problem. I am sometimes embarassed by his behavior and it's sad. Name another current coach that acts similarity at press cinferences
This is a very difficult topic. I would like to share that I have a good friend - psychologist - in Durham who is a hard core Duke fan but he doesn't like Coach K at all. Why? He says he is cruel to his players. He does some sports psychology and may have some "inside info." He is the first and only Duke fan I have ever heard say this. Most of the stories I have heard is how awesome Coach K is to his players. For instance, for every graduating senior, he does a video show highlighting all of their best moments. At least, he used to do that. But Larry sticks by his assessment.

This should perhaps go on the Coach K thread, but it does speak to the difficulty of loving and respecting your team's coach while also not liking some of the things he does. Even the Lord K has detractors in his fan base.

This is a very difficult topic. I would like to share that I have a good friend - psychologist - in Durham who is a hard core Duke fan but he doesn't like Coach K at all. Why? He says he is cruel to his players. He does some sports psychology and may have some "inside info." He is the first and only Duke fan I have ever heard say this. Most of the stories I have heard is how awesome Coach K is to his players. For instance, for every graduating senior, he does a video show highlighting all of their best moments. At least, he used to do that. But Larry sticks by his assessment.

This should perhaps go on the Coach K thread, but it does speak to the difficulty of loving and respecting your team's coach while also not liking some of the things he does. Even the Lord K has detractors in his fan base.
A lot of winning coaches are very tough on their players. But not in public. It's done in the gym out of public view. It's been troubling to watch JB disparage Roberson in public. He seems a good kid who certainly is a team first player. He has some obvious skill deficiencies. That said, JB has been liked by the vast majority of his players over the years. There will always be a few malcontents over the years in any program.

First, how many other coaches press conferences have you watched on a regular basis? Enough to make a valid comparison?

Next, I've known many coaches who use the "love and respect" approach with great success. I've also known many who use the Boeheiim approach with great success.

IMO the key is for the coach to be who he is and not try to follow the approach of other coaches or anonymous message board posters. That's the key.

Popovich

I think what we are seeing is nothing more than the natural course of a man getting older and more crotchety and stubborn along with it. Far as I can tell, happens to every dude fortunate enough to get old enough to manifest the signs.

I think what we are seeing is nothing more than the natural course of a man getting older and more crotchety and stubborn along with it. Far as I can tell, happens to every dude fortunate enough to get old enough to manifest the signs.
Except I believe JB was crotchety from the moment he emerged from the womb.

On behalf of crotchety old men everywhere, including this board and myself, I feel compelled to tell you to STAY OFF OF MY LAWN!!!

Except I believe JB was crotchety from the moment he emerged from the womb.

Can't confirm that, but I can verify he was crotchety from Day One as head coach of the Syracuse Orangemen.

Hmmmmm! My wife said I've mellowed as I've got older. And I know many who have become mellow as they've aged.

Example A: My hubby.

And yet his wife flows with the milk of human kindness.

HA HA HA!

Ahhh...another JB bashing thread...can't have enough of these...thanks for starting OP...
I'm sorry you feel that way but Coach has appeared to be almost indifferent with some of his remarks publicly about these young players. However, I did appreciate his positive demeanor last night. I am not a Boeheim basher but this is how I currently feel Go Orange