What do Jonny Flynn and John Gillon have in common? | Syracusefan.com

What do Jonny Flynn and John Gillon have in common?

Alsacs

Living Legend
They were small offensive first PGs who weren’t good defensively.
I am sure there are other things as well.
If you want to run the offense we do you need an offensive first PG.
The problem is they aren’t good in the zone defensively and wouldn’t you know they were the guards on our worst defensive teams the last decade.

So unless you can find a PG who has the size of MCW and offensive game of Gillon/Flynn or we recruit an offensive big who can score it’s going to be the same ole same ole against teams that give an effort defensively under Jim Boeheim.
Just make shots guys.

I’m more worried about Center at this point.

The team wasn’t good with Gillon, btw. Offensively, it was good but that team set defense back 50 years

It’s really that simple.

To run an offense, you need a skilled big to throw the ball into, a pg who can break down a defense and/or a coach who can teach x&o’s to scheme offense.

We have none of those elements and a talent level that falls into the middle of the pack ACC tier.

We do have shooters this year, but they just stand around and have to shoot iso threes to get looks.

The problem is they aren’t good in the zone defensively and wouldn’t you know they were the guards on our worst defensive teams the last decade.

So unless you can find a PG who has the size of MCW and offensive game of Gillon/Flynn or we recruit an offensive big who can score it’s going to be the same ole same ole against teams that give an effort defensively under Jim Boeheim.
Just make shots guys.
i'm not sure we have anyone who's good on either end

back when iso hero ball was good enough, we could overcome the PG tradeoff with a superstar SF - when the offense bogs down and ballhandlers are rattled, give it to the SF and get out of the way

hard to keep up with teams that move the ball and defend that way though and we don't have that SF anyway

The team wasn’t good with Gillon, btw. Offensively, it was good but that team set defense back 50 years
you missed his point

you missed his point

I did. Skimmed his post and missed the part where he said basically what I reiterated.

I was just eager to make the point That PG doesn’t matter if we don’t have a Center who can do something, anything.

We will be more successful with a good Center and bad PG (within reason; not Kaleb Joseph level bad) than we will be with a good PG and bad Center.

I wouldn't call making tough, contested long jumpers a good offense. But hey AW3 made them! JB was right! We just have to make shots!

I wouldn't call making tough, contested long jumpers a good offense. But hey AW3 made them! JB was right! We just have to make shots!
Agreed. That team was good on offense. I believe it finished in the top 30 in KenPom off efficiency. But it could have and should have been even better considering all the shooters we had, plus Gillon and Tyus as drivers.

Just make shots guys.

I know there were a lot of issues with that 2009 team, but to have someone of the skill of Flynn on offense, even at his size, is basically two degrees better than anyone we have (meaning Flynn was a lottery pick and I'm not sure we even have anyone that will get drafted at all or make an NBA team).

Flynn is on a different level than Gillon. Gillon had a great game not a great season. Flynn player with AO and Ricky, bigs who can finish around the basketball.

He have shooter but we don't have a guy that can get the a shot. That person can be a guard that breaks down the defense, but without bigs that can finish around the rim the defense won't leave the shooter they will leave the bigs.

If we have bigs the can score in the post and finish around the rim the defense will leave the shooters to defend the post.

We have enough talent to be serviceable on offense. The problem is we don't run a system to utilize the pieces we have. Instead, we run a playground offense that relies on guys beating their defenders off the dribble, which doesn't happen very much at all.
I think it is a safe bet last night will be the lowest point total anyone gets off of UVA this year, including their cupcake games.

They are both short. Gillon played great in the dome. Outside of NC State he stunk it up in virtually every other road game. He also refused to throw a post pass the last time we had a legit post threat in Lydon.

Gillon still locked up Luke Kennard on the potential game winning shot!

Gillon’s offense is why we beat Virginia and Duke in 2016.
This shot.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SyraFreed

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom