What do we do teach our guys to do on the defensive boards? | Syracusefan.com

What do we do teach our guys to do on the defensive boards?

Alsacs

Living Legend
I mean we are always out of position on the boards.
The other team ALWAYS has more energy on the boards.
We can't get rebounds after missing shots.
A missed shot is the best offense against us.

I mean we are always out of position on the boards.
The other team ALWAYS has more energy on the boards.
We can't get rebounds after missing shots.
A missed shot is the best offense against us.
Yeah, you would think we don't have a former big man on the coaching staff or something, oh wait...

JB said in a press conference one time that they don't teach them to box out a man but rebound an area. I personally don't agree with that, I've always been taught to find a man and put your butt into him!

JB said in a press conference one time that they don't teach them to box out a man but rebound an area. I personally don't agree with that, I've always been taught to find a man and put your butt into him!

It's true. I ran the same D for years. When the ball is on the wing, the 5 fronts the low post and is by definition, then, boxed out. So when the backside wing slides into the hole to cover that area, who does he box out, that doesn't leave the other forward wide open? No matter which one he picks, the other will get an uncontested put-back way too many times. So JB has that player rebound from the hole. And if he doesn't get the rebound, he's at least in position defend the guy who does. That's the theory, anyway. Not working too well these days.

But from what I've seen, SU's wing players are too often way too far out on the perimeter, pretty much chasing the ball. They have no confidence in the D and don't/won't play it, and so the whole team appears to look lost. :noidea:

We must teach our guys to ball watch rather than react immediately to where the angle of the bound is likely to go. The opponent reacts we watch.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom