What does it mean for Syracuse basketball if Oshae Brissett goes pro? | Syracusefan.com

What does it mean for Syracuse basketball if Oshae Brissett goes pro?

40% from 2, 30% from 3 so far in his career.

he's a decent rebounder but he's not DC.

if he's coming back to practice shooting 3s, we're worse off. if he comes back to do the job SU needs him to do , we might be better off (not sure about that though)

the development plan from scouts is the last thing we need. go to the g league for that

In my opinion, whatever Oshae decides to do will have a major impact on us next year, one way or the other. I really have no major expectations for next season unless we develop a true PG and we have a scoring centre (be it Sidibe, Bol Ajak or if we get Edwards). If Oshae comes back we should be a tournament team. If not, we could just be in a development year and possibly back on the bubble.

If the 2019/20 version of Oshae isn’t going to be any better than the one we have seen the past two seasons than losing him isn’t going to that huge of a deal. He was only occasionally an impact player in games.

He has been a good player and I’d rather have him than not, but his absence won’t be a huge hit.

HOWEVER ...

I’m of the opinion that he has tremendous upside and that if he were to somehow transition to the player he COULD be, than his leaving would be a big problem.

He’s a trendous athlete and physical specimen and a bright kid too. But he isn’t that good a basketball player. We’ve all seen him get to the rim. But then what happens is anybody’s guess.

I’m not any kind of NBA fan, but I can see a team drafting him on pure potential. If they could get him to live up to his potential, he’d be a real find.

40% from 2, 30% from 3 so far in his career.

he's a decent rebounder but he's not DC.

if he's coming back to practice shooting 3s, we're worse off. if he comes back to do the job SU needs him to do , we might be better off (not sure about that though)

the development plan from scouts is the last thing we need. go to the g league for that

I think he has underachieved, and I think he has peaked in our system.

I think, despite the rebounding prowess, losing him will be like losing Paul Harris - a guy who doesn't quite work the best in our system, and who I fear (like you) will think that he has to show he is a 3 point shooter next year, when we really need him to turn into an elite offensive rebounder. I don't know that his head will be willing to do that.

I look at our roster, and I see Hughes, Guerrier, Dolezaj and Braswell at forward. If Guerrier is another C.J. Fair (my take on his skill set), then he may start with Hughes (or he might be the third guy behind Marek, and comes in when Marek moves to center). In either case, we will be relatively fine at forward.

I think our biggest problem with next year's roster is that we already have very little rebounding and pencil-thin centers, with one exception (JBA), but he wants to be a stretch 4 like Elvir Ovcina, not a center. Guerrier is pretty physical. I don't know that he's going to get us 7 or 8 rebounds a game as a frosh that Brissett provided, but he might, and that's what we would need from him.

Brissett is a really fascinating player to me.

One big thing to note re: expansion in his game - he nearly doubled his assists per game in 5 fewer minutes played per game.

Good stat. Encouraging observation.

Remember: The NBA doesn't draft on if you're ready or not
Also Remember: Going pro means that the only focus is on basketball
Also Also Remember: Everyone has their reasons for doing what they believe is best for them. He owes us nothing

That’s some pretty impressive company he is in for both scoring and rebounding. But he obviously needs at least one more year in college. Tyler Lydon was more ready by virtue of his Pump Fake. I hope OB agrees after getting a development plan from the scouts.

Fixed for you.

(I kid, I kid.)

Loved lydon, but man those pump fakes..

He’s a decent rebounder on a team with absolutely inept rebounders within a system that doesn’t encourage boxing out.

Judging by OB's Instagram post announcing his testing the waters, I am not confident he has any intention of coming back under any circumstances. In the photo, he is basically blowing kisses goodbye

If - IF - Braswell can play, we can survive OB departure easier than most I think.

Even if Braswell bombs, we still have Hughes, Marek and Guerrier. We're OK at forward.

We need another big man, so we have 3, and Marek doesn't have to play center 20+ minutes a game next year.

If the 2019/20 version of Oshae isn’t going to be any better than the one we have seen the past two seasons than losing him isn’t going to that huge of a deal. He was only occasionally an impact player in games.

He has been a good player and I’d rather have him than not, but his absence won’t be a huge hit.

HOWEVER ...

I’m of the opinion that he has tremendous upside and that if he were to somehow transition to the player he COULD be, than his leaving would be a big problem.

He’s a trendous athlete and physical specimen and a bright kid too. But he isn’t that good a basketball player. We’ve all seen him get to the rim. But then what happens is anybody’s guess.

I’m not any kind of NBA fan, but I can see a team drafting him on pure potential. If they could get him to live up to his potential, he’d be a real find.
My only comment is that we really can't argue with Oshae's production his freshman year. Wasn't improved enough as a sophomore though.