What does the B1G think about adding Rutgers? | Syracusefan.com

What does the B1G think about adding Rutgers?

Doesn't matter what fans think, I suspect they'd hate it, but it matters what B1G officials think. And DickinMI has had this pegged for a while now. The B1G spent a LOT of time evaluating expansion scenarios the past few years, and ended up inviting 1 school last summer. If they wanted Rutgers, they'd have invited Rutgers by now.

The ACC needed 2 schools, and SU/Pitt were the best of the bunch that made sense for them.

The B1G "needs" no one.

"Its like adding another Minnesota, just from further away" LOL
That's all the news from Lake Pleasebegone, where all the women are orangetanned, all the men think they are toothsome, and all the NYDMA ratings are above average.

Simple, they don't think about it at all.

Doesn't matter what fans think, I suspect they'd hate it, but it matters what B1G officials think. And DickinMI has had this pegged for a while now. The B1G spent a LOT of time evaluating expansion scenarios the past few years, and ended up inviting 1 school last summer. If they wanted Rutgers, they'd have invited Rutgers by now.

The ACC needed 2 schools, and SU/Pitt were the best of the bunch that made sense for them.

The B1G "needs" no one.

True. After seeing what the Pac got, I'm sure they are anxiously awaiting the next round of TV negotiations for their league and all of their trophy games.

Unless ND and/or Texas want to join, I see them remaining pat.

Cheers,
Neil

So glad we didn't go to the B1G what a condescending attitude. For a vastly over-rated football conference that never wins anything they have quite an overinflated sense of themselves. (And yes that pass interference call for OSU against Miami was pure BS). Oh, and their basketball isn't much either.

My favorite:

no.
Rutgers ranges from "suck" to "epic suck" when it comes to everything.

in response to the comments:
"It's amazing how ignorant these people are. One of these guys stated that he thought that Notre Dame got more of the New York market than Rutgers. Unbelievable."

I see lots on NewYork, inNYC screen names there. Must feel out of place in that sea of scarlet fans that is NYC.

The B1G "needs" no one.
Aye I have a friend that works in the research triangle. He says that they aren't all that excited down there to have SU

Rare that you see a board so united on a topic. My favorite:

October 28th, 2011 at 2:58 PM | No, Rutgers is just another hungry mouth to feed

October 28th, 2011 at 4:01 PM | with herpes.

Aye I have a friend that works in the research triangle. He says that they aren't all that excited down there to have SU

Given the nature of the Big East, we've been conditioned to think about conference stuff for 2 decades now, so evaluating the business angles of school movement is something we're quite adept at. But for most of the fans of the Pac-12, B1G, SEC and ACC, they haven't needed to ever care. So I'm sure that there is just a gut-level "fan" reaction against adding interlopers to their once-stable conferences. We shouldn't take offense to it.

Funny thing is expansion may ultimately lead to the old-guard ACC playing each other more if/when they reconfigure the divisions. So the end result may end up being a blessing in disguise for those folks.

The Wisconsin board extensively discussed Rutgers being added to the B1G last summer. The consensus was that no one wanted Rutgers. However, they did want the NYC media market for the Big Ten Network. Of course, very few believed Rutgers, by itself, could deliver the NYC market or whether the NYC market could be delivered at all. That is Rutgers' problem. They are close enough to NYC that an argument can be made their inclusion in a conference would open the door into the city; it is just an argument that no one outside of Rutgers actually believes.

At this point, the only way I see Rutgers getting into the B1G is if Notre Dame makes it a condition of it joining the conference or if the conference gets contractual guaranties that the inclusion of Rutgers will require cable/satellite providers to pay the increased "Big Ten Footprint" subscriber fees for the BTN. In the end, because of the network, the B1G does not care if anyone in NYC actually watches Rutgers, it only cares about whether it can count NYC's residents as first tier subscribers to its cable network.

Now what would be interesting is posting that thread on the Rutgers board. I'd love to read those comments.

Given the nature of the Big East, we've been conditioned to think about conference stuff for 2 decades now, so evaluating the business angles of school movement is something we're quite adept at. But for most of the fans of the Pac-12, B1G, SEC and ACC, they haven't needed to ever care. So I'm sure that there is just a gut-level "fan" reaction against adding interlopers to their once-stable conferences. We shouldn't take offense to it.

That's an interesting, and I'm sure very accurate, view on it. It's funny how we forget that the fans of teams from the established conference don't follow this as closely as we do.

Now what would be interesting is posting that thread on the Rutgers board. I'd love to read those comments.
They'd probably all sign up with Wolverine-based IDs and flood that thread with pro-RU propaganda.

So glad we didn't go to the B1G what a condescending attitude. For a vastly over-rated football conference that never wins anything they have quite an overinflated sense of themselves. (And yes that pass interference call for OSU against Miami was pure BS). Oh, and their basketball isn't much either.
I agree that they are overrated and full of themselves. They play nearly half their games against little sisters of the poor in their conference and most of the other half against MAC schools. Then they get slaughtered in bowl games.

This thread is dumb.

The real question is who do you want with ND.

Everyone has had a bad experience with someone from jersey.
It doesnt help that these shows like NJ shore, Jerseylicious, Real HW of NJ make them look so bad.

It trickles down to sports, no one wants a bunch NJ dbags roaming their conference.

The B1G "needs" no one.

Modesty prohibits me from hitting the "Like" button on your post Scooch :)

The B10 looked long and hard at SU, Rutgers, and UConn...and I'm assuming various combinations of those schools as well. And they didn't bite. They went with a perennial football name in Nebraska.

There are many ways to interpret that; they may have felt that no combination of those schools could really bring the NYC market, or they may have felt that there weren't enough decent candidates to drive the football bus. Or maybe they really wanted to stay Midwestern. Whatever.

But Rutgers wasn't attractive to them then so it's not attractive to them now.

Rutgers is viewed by the B10 like the fawning nerdy suitor to the homecoming queen. She doesn't have to give him a second thought but she knows he'll always come running if she beckons.

The B10 has all the time in the world and the only way they take RU is either 1) in some combination with ND (and quite possibly not even then) or 2) if ND goes elsewhere and they decide they really need two more teams and nobody else is out there. Even then, they'd be more likely to poach somebody from another conference.

For many years, I thought that RU was destined to end up in the B10 but I now feel they are fairly screwed in that department.

Modesty prohibits me from hitting the "Like" button on your post Scooch :)

The B10 looked long and hard at SU, Rutgers, and UConn...and I'm assuming various combinations of those schools as well. And they didn't bite. They went with a perennial football name in Nebraska.

There are many ways to interpret that; they may have felt that no combination of those schools could really bring the NYC market, or they may have felt that there weren't enough decent candidates to drive the football bus. Or maybe they really wanted to stay Midwestern. Whatever.

But Rutgers wasn't attractive to them then so it's not attractive to them now.

Rutgers is viewed by the B10 like the fawning nerdy suitor to the homecoming queen. She doesn't have to give him a second thought but she knows he'll always come running if she beckons.

The B10 has all the time in the world and the only way they take RU is either 1) in some combination with ND (and quite possibly not even then) or 2) if ND goes elsewhere and they decide they really need two more teams and nobody else is out there. Even then, they'd be more likely to poach somebody from another conference.

For many years, I thought that RU was destined to end up in the B10 but I now feel they are fairly screwed in that department.

The B1G and ND are in no hurry. I think the B1G really wants Texas. However I can't see Texas going unless the B1G can get ND and OU. Texas needs OU to go IMO. With OU in the B1G, Texas will have 4 games in the Midwest, 6 games at home, 1 neutral vs OU, and one OOC BCS either home or away. Without OU in the B1G, Texas will have 4-5 games in the Midwest, 6-7 games at home, and 1 neutral vs OU. Not having OU in the B1G means less schedule flexibility (no OOC BCS) and one more road trip to the Midwest.

Right now OU is not academically up to par for the B1G. But if they make a strong push, who is to say they won't be in 10 years? Since no one is in a hurry, the B1G and ND can wait. With Texas, OU, and ND the B1G will have 15 teams, needing one more. That one more will be between KU (who most B1G schools would want) and RU (who PSU and ND likely want). That will determine whether the ACC takes UConn and WV, or UConn and RU to get to 16.

The B1G and ND are in no hurry. I think the B1G really wants Texas. However I can't see Texas going unless the B1G can get ND and OU. Texas needs OU to go IMO. With OU in the B1G, Texas will have 4 games in the Midwest, 6 games at home, 1 neutral vs OU, and one OOC BCS either home or away. Without OU in the B1G, Texas will have 4-5 games in the Midwest, 6-7 games at home, and 1 neutral vs OU. Not having OU in the B1G means less schedule flexibility (no OOC BCS) and one more road trip to the Midwest.

Right now OU is not academically up to par for the B1G. But if they make a strong push, who is to say they won't be in 10 years? Since no one is in a hurry, the B1G and ND can wait. With Texas, OU, and ND the B1G will have 15 teams, needing one more. That one more will be between KU (who most B1G schools would want) and RU (who PSU and ND likely want). That will determine whether the ACC takes UConn and WV, or UConn and RU to get to 16.

How much would it suck for WVU if Texas and OU went to the B10 or the PAC10 or 1 each? They'd be in a southwest conference without the star power. Wow, that would be a dagger.