What does this all mean?? | Syracusefan.com

What does this all mean??

bballbeadle

Woman of a certain age
Duke is the sixth ranked team to fall to an unranked team this week! Is all of college basketball really this shaky? And here's the important subtext to my question: can our Orange take up their beds and walk? It seems to me they damn well could!

Losses by 1 Seeds

2013 - 20+ (Gonzaga may keep it down but with weaker SOS)
2012 - 16
2011 - 13
2010 - 15
2009 - 19
2008 - 11

Note - Fourth #1 seed (Spartans), did have 7 losses last year entering the tourney. It was a relatively beat up field on 1-2 line after UK and Syracuse... major difference is no UK this year.

Losses by 1 Seeds

2013 - 20+ (Gonzaga may keep it down but with weaker SOS)
2012 - 16
2011 - 13
2010 - 15
2009 - 19
2008 - 11

Note - Fourth #1 seed (Spartans), did have 7 losses last year entering the tourney. It was a relatively beat up field on 1-2 line after UK and Syracuse... major difference is no UK this year.
Imagine if we had last year's team this year? We might be undefeated and would have been the heavy favorite come March, even without Fab.

Duke is the sixth ranked team to fall to an unranked team this week! Is all of college basketball really this shaky? And here's the important subtext to my question: can our Orange take up their beds and walk? It seems to me they damn well could!

I think you're right in terms of how shaky all of college bball is. It's going to be really difficult doing brackets. Anything possible. I think we are probably the most flawed out of the top 10 or 15 teams but who knows what will happen. Too hard to predict this season.

I think you're right in terms of how shaky all of college bball is. It's going to be really difficult doing brackets. Anything possible. I think we are probably the most flawed out of the top 10 or 15 teams but who knows what will happen. Too hard to predict this season.
We say that because we've seen 28 games of this team. I'm sure if I was a Michigan fan and have seen all their games I might think they have most flaws.

I'm not necessarily disagreeing with you, but we (as Syracuse fans) know more about our team than we do about Duke, Indiana, MSU, etc, so it's easy to say our weaknesses are worse than those other squads.

My prediction... take it to the bank... is that no #1 seed reaches the Final Four. Actually, take it to your kid's piggybank and give her a few quarters, just to amuse her. But seriously, if there was ever a year when "chalk" ain't gonna work, it is this year. St Louise, Akron, who knows. Maybe some Ivy League school. Didn't Columbia (one of the worst Ivies) beat Nova?

We say that because we've seen 28 games of this team. I'm sure if I was a Michigan fan and have seen all their games I might think they have most flaws.

I'm not necessarily disagreeing with you, but we (as Syracuse fans) know more about our team than we do about Duke, Indiana, MSU, etc, so it's easy to say our weaknesses are worse than those other squads.

That is true. Key word is 'probably.' Who knows. IMO, we have more components missing than other top teams do but we'll see how it plays out. Such a weird season.

It means that winning on the road is very very hard, and consistently overlooked by most fans.

What this means is to show just how idiotic everyone is getting worked up over a couple tough road losses to some good teams. I have been saying it all year there are no great teams and no team without significant wholes. We have just as good a shot as anyone in the country come March . Once we start losing homes games, or games we definitely should win that's when I'll get concerned .

Bear in mind that the majority of the losses by the top teams have occured when they were the "away" team. Statistically speaking the odds of those types of upsets on a neutural court are greatly diminished. There is also a difference in intensity when teams are in a one loss and you're out tournament vs. a late regular season lapse due to complacency.

I think we are probably the most flawed out of the top 10 or 15 teams but who knows what will happen. Too hard to predict this season.

Good lord no. Every team has flaws and I have seen every team in the top 15 multiple times.

The one ace in the hole that Duke does have is that Kelly probably is back for this weekends game which is a huge plus for that team. When he was playing that team was clicking big time. Not sure how long it will take him to get back into game shape but Duke could certainly surprise this March. With him back they are a totally different team. Last night proved it with their lack of defensive rebounding and interior defensive presence after Plumlee.

My prediction... take it to the bank... is that no #1 seed reaches the Final Four. Actually, take it to your kid's piggybank and give her a few quarters, just to amuse her. But seriously, if there was ever a year when "chalk" ain't gonna work, it is this year. St Louise, Akron, who knows. Maybe some Ivy League school. Didn't Columbia (one of the worst Ivies) beat Nova?

Your final 4 this year - Wisconsin, Pitt, UVA, Ohio St. Take that to the bank!

Good lord no. Every team has flaws and I have seen every team in the top 15 multiple times.

The one ace in the hole that Duke does have is that Kelly probably is back for this weekends game which is a huge plus for that team. When he was playing that team was clicking big time. Not sure how long it will take him to get back into game shape but Duke could certainly surprise this March. With him back they are a totally different team. Last night proved it with their lack of defensive rebounding and interior defensive presence after Plumlee.

Yeah if they can get Kelly back and work him in the next few games before the tournament, they could be a really good team

What this means is to show just how idiotic everyone is getting worked up over a couple tough road losses to some good teams. I have been saying it all year there are no great teams and no team without significant wholes. We have just as good a shot as anyone in the country come March . Once we start losing homes games, or games we definitely should win that's when I'll get concerned .

Wasn't GTown at home?

Sent using my Commodore 64

It means that winning on the road is very very hard, and consistently overlooked by most fans.
Thank God ALL 3 of our remaining games are home games...
:)

Duke with Kelley is a huge help and maybe the best team. I have seen the other Top 15 teams as well. The only other one with more problems than we do could be Arizona. That's just how I see it and my opinion but agreed all are flawed. No brainer. Not trying to be a debbie downer just realistic.

Disagree. There should be at least one. The reason being that Indiana has such a good shot of making the final four, since it will play its sweet 16 and elite 8 games in rhe state of Indiana? Preudo home court advantage is huge (and they are arguably the best team).

On Selection Sunday, my main concern for Syracuse is not being in the Indianapolis Region, and especially not a 4/5 in that region.

How many top teams have road wins like ours over Louisville?

A couple come to mind (Gtown, IU over MSU), but I wonder how many other have wins like that.

It means I'm rooting for GTOWN to be a No 1 Seed!!!!!

So they can lose to a 16!

Wasn't GTown at home?

Sent using my Commodore 64

So your worked up about 1 loss at home to the hottest team in the country? Big difference losing at home to Georgetown then depaul

A couple come to mind (Gtown, IU over MSU), but I wonder how many other have wins like that.

Wisconsin in Bloomington is definitely one.

Teams in the current AP top-25 have 128 combined losses.

29 of them have been at home. 99 on the road/neutral court.

Only 4 of the 29 were against non-tourney teams (Charlotte over Butler, URI over SLU, Santa Clara over SLU, UCONN over Pitt).

It's possible that Cal, S. Dakota St. and Cincy miss the tourney as well, but as of today they are likely participants.

Home losses
1 Indiana Wisconsin
2 Gonzaga Illinois
3 Duke
4 Michigan
5 Miami (FL) Ok. State
6 Kansas
7 Georgetown Pitt
8 Florida
9 Michigan State Indiana
10 Louisville Syracuse
11 Arizona UCLA Cal
12 Syracuse Gtown
13 Kansas State Kansas
14 New Mexico South Dakota State
15 Oklahoma State Kansas Gonzaga
16 Ohio State Kansas Indiana
17 Wisconsin Virginia Michigan State
18 Saint Louis Santa Clara Rhode Island
19 Memphis Louisville
20 Butler Saint Louis Charlotte
21 Notre Dame UCONN Gtown
22 Marquette
23 Pittsburgh Cincy Marquette ND
24 Oregon Colorado Cal
25 Louisiana Tech

So your worked up about 1 loss at home to the hottest team in the country? Big difference losing at home to Georgetown then depaul

I'm not worked up at all. What made you think that?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom