What does this say about SUs commitment to field competitive football? | Syracusefan.com

What does this say about SUs commitment to field competitive football?

RF2044

Living Legend
Not absolving any "blame" from Marrone in this, but IMO this departure says a lot about the University's commitment to investing in the cultivation of our football program.

I think that the AD and BOT need to decide what they want the football program to be when it grows up. ACC money is great, but if we don't commit to playing in the big leagues--which will require substantial investment to upgrade the football support infrastructures currently in place [i.e., massive facilities overhaul]--we aren't going to ever get over the hump.

Disappointing.

The real statement will be made by their efforts to obtain Marrone's replacement. If they go for good coaches with money in hand, then the University is solidly behind football. If they look for the cheapest guy available (that would be me), Syracuse is in real trouble.

The more I think about this, the more my view changes on the B.O.T and athletic spending. I was one of the "Hawks" that was furious at the B.O.T for not spending the ACC money on upgrades today.

DM was promised upgrades (including a practice facility) when hired. Since then, the school has upgraded Manley, Dome Turf, the football wing and locker-rooms. Plus, plans for the practice facility are in place. (they weren't blowing smoke on this)

During Doug's tenure, the athletic department had been working with $5m Big East dollars per year and nearly non-existent donor contributions. (While we get $17m in ACC money next year, we still had to fork over the Big East buyout funds)

I really believe the school is committed to "Big Time Football". But with the financial realities of the Big East contract (remember, only $5m per year) TGD & Co. were stretching their dollars as far as they could. Upgrades were being made, just not as quickly as DM wanted.

This was never going to Doug's last stop. His stock was up and he had wandering eyes for the NFL. These upgrades will happen in the next 3-5 years. Doug is using this as his opportunity to leave.

[i.e., massive facilities overhaul]

What constitutes a "massive facilities overhaul" anyways? We aren't replacing the dome. A purpose built practice facility is in the works. We've completely upgraded the football wing at Manley.

Dome locker rooms? A Co-Ed VIP privacy lounge in Club 44?

It's either a conscious decision that the financial risk/cost is not worth a few extra wins per season or the money isn't available because of a completely deficient fundraising programs. Or a little bit of both.

What constitutes a "massive facilities overhaul" anyways? We aren't replacing the dome. A purpose built practice facility is in the works. We've completely upgraded the football wing at Manley.

The IPF has been in the works for years. And the financing still isn't in place for it. Maybe it never will be?

I would think that investing some of it's endowment money in new practice facilities instead of losing some in the next stock market crash would pay higher returns.

seems like the BOT would much rather see endowment money grow instead of spending about 2% for the betterment of the university on a national.

I would love to see the next head coach put in his contract what the goals are for S.U. as it moves forward on facilities out in the open to the season ticket holders who are the investors here.

Dome locker rooms? A Co-Ed VIP privacy lounge in Club 44?

People talk about "facilities upgrades" like it is only one thing, when in actuality it is multi-faceted. Just off the top of my head:

--New training facility, including locker room
--Upgraded outdoor training facilities [Coyne?]
--Weight room
--Medical / training facilities at minimum on par with Melo center
--Academic support area [again, see Melo center]

Last [and probably not as high of priorities as other items listed above]
--Dome locker room
--Players lounge / recreational area

You are right--they've made strides. But all it takes is one look at the facilities of our peers to see that we haven't gained ground. Your point about the $5M limitation is a good one. Which makes me circle back to the original point I made in starting this thread: will the University commit to the investment spend needed for this program to compete at a high level?

I would think that investing some of it's endowment money in new practice facilities instead of losing some in the next stock market crash would pay higher returns.

seems like the BOT would much rather see endowment money grow instead of spending about 2% for the betterment of the university on a national.

I would love to see the next head coach put in his contract what the goals are for S.U. as it moves forward on facilities out in the open to the season ticket holders who are the investors here.

If SU dips into its endowment funds for anything it should be to lower the costs of tuition they charge students. ;)

Cheers,
Neil

If SU dips into its endowment funds for anything it should be to lower the costs of tuition they charge students. ;)

Cheers,
Neil
Why? Tuition costs have only increased 500% since the 90's...sounds about right. ;-)

Not absolving any "blame" from Marrone in this, but IMO this departure says a lot about the University's commitment to investing in the cultivation of our football program.

I think that the AD and BOT need to decide what they want the football program to be when it grows up. ACC money is great, but if we don't commit to playing in the big leagues--which will require substantial investment to upgrade the football support infrastructures currently in place [i.e., massive facilities overhaul]--we aren't going to ever get over the hump.

Disappointing.
This might just say that Marrone is a pos

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Disappointing.

totally agree. plus you have to consider it's not like the money is going into a black hole. if you spend it you will see a return. increased product=increased returns. the money being talked about is basically nothing in the big scope of things. at least set up a donor program that has a target that people know what they are working for. even salary for the coaches isn't competitive.

i just keep thinking back from the post someone made a few days ago when this all happened. said what happens in the next 10 days will shape the future for the next 10,20,30 years. well looks like we have our answer. now will we just settle for mediocrity at best, or will someone do something about it?

This might just say that Marrone is a pos

He spent more years trying to graduate than be HC, FWIW.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Unfortunately, the $5 million spent on the upgrades came from the practice facility fund. At last count they have $1-2 million.

This just tells me that they hired someone that wasn't long term committed to the program or school and was always about himself first.

He spent more years trying to graduate than be HC, FWIW.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2
Please it was more than twice as long

To jump at the worst job in the NFL tells me something about hcdm and the Univ. commit to big time football, my mind won't be changed.