what happened to our press? | Syracusefan.com

what happened to our press?

CorduroyG

Hall of Fame
it seems to have disappeared once conference play started. even when we fell behind early to south florida and providence jb didnt unleash it. i say we turn the tables on louisville and start out with full court press!

Southerland was the most important part of our press. If we haven't used it yet in conference play, we're not going to pull it out sans Southerland.

We wont press lville unless its final minute desperation that's for sure.

Sorry, but us pressing Louisville belongs in the "things that have ended more smoothly than Marrone's tenure" thread.

Sorry, but us pressing Louisville belongs in the "things that have ended more smoothly than Marrone's tenure" thread.

i was mostly kidding about pressing louisville, but was very surprised jb didnt use it when we fell behind to usf and providence.

i was mostly kidding about pressing louisville, but was very surprised jb didnt use it when we fell behind to usf and providence.

You may be right, but with our press, we have a tendency to be mechanical about it, not ferocious, often a step late. It seems to get us in even more trouble. The Temple game comes to mind. Against the lesser teams we may be better off just playing our game (aggressive zone) and taking what the other team gives us.

i'll agree with the domestranger we just don't have the backcourt depth (or fouls) to expend the extra energy for a FCP.

it seems to have disappeared once conference play started. even when we fell behind early to south florida and providence jb didnt unleash it. i say we turn the tables on louisville and start out with full court press!
I seem to remember SU trying in the Villinova game and in either the USF or Providence game and the teams broke it rather easily. If they break it easily the first couple of times, it doesn't make sense to keep doing it and therefore makmes it look like they didn't do it. SU did do some half court presses/traps against Villinova that looked good.

The press might be worth a surprise shot or two when 'Ville isn't expecting it just to rattle them and take some steam out of their momentum, but it's probably not worth extended minutes for all the above reasons.-VBOF

Better teams will handle the press easily and mostly make us pay.

However, that does not mean that we can't use it a few times per game intermittantly for just one or two possessions at a time to change the pace and try to catch the foe off guard. Would also be nice to use a man to man D in that manner.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CB277777

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom