What happened to the rebounding? | Syracusefan.com

What happened to the rebounding?

raf4488

Starter
Getting beat like we have on the boards these last 2 games concerns me the most. We know this team is going to struggle to score but they've been competitive because they have rebounded and defended very well. If we were merely even in rebounding we would've beaten Wake and ND, but instead we were beat badly in that area.

If we want to have a chance to turn this around and get into the NCAA picture, this has to change starting Tuesday.

This is what annoyed me most. chukwu gave us nothing on the boards.
He had 5 or 6 plays where he just had his arms straight up showing he’s trying to avoid a foul. So let’s not say nothing...

Bigger teams...
come on we played bigger than that - g'town and maryland to name two - and held a clear advantage. something has happened to the "go get it" effort this week. today was absolutely horrendous

It’s what happens when you recruit length but no beef.

JB said after the game that it was a myth that this is a good rebounding team. He alluded to the fact that SU is a team of 180 pound guys.

I don’t expect us to be any better on the boards next year.

ND rebounded harder but there were also a ton of bricks later by both teams. Resulting in many long and awkward bounces of the rim or backboard.

JB said after the game that it was a myth that this is a good rebounding team. He alluded to the fact that SU is a team of 180 pound guys.

notre dame did not use size to outrebound us. they used numbers. Brey is a good coach. He realized that they could afford to send the house on the O'boards because there is no threat of fast breaks the other way if they fail to get the rebound. its a zero risk proposition against our sloth like offensive pace

Why didn’t we see Moyer for long stretches? Surely he could have helped with the boards?

Why didn’t we see Moyer for long stretches? Surely he could have helped with the boards?
at first it was because he basically didn't show up to start the game - a few of those ND offensive boards were because of him... but yeah thought he should have been in there more in the 2nd

at first it was because he basically didn't show up to start the game - a few of those ND offensive boards were because of him... but yeah thought he should have been in there more in the 2nd

More so than Marek, who IMO has gotten lazy in response to bigger ACC opponents.

Exactly. Did you see the girth on a couple of their forwards? I'm tired of hearing about us having the tallest team in the Country. How has that worked out the last two games? Here's hoping they can get it straightened out.

He wasn't saying that earlier this year. I guess we should file it under Boeheim says things. That folder is getting bigger and bigger.

Teams aren't afraid to send multiple players to the boards because we aren't a threat to make them pay. You can bet if a team decides to crash the offensive boards against us and we get a few quick runouts and fast break scores as a result of it, they will sag back. But even if we get the board, more often than not we are walking the ball up court; so they have nothing to lose by sending the house.

Guards need to rebound. Battle and howard need to crash the glass.

Battle is a bad rebounder and we can't have it. We need 5 guys hitting the glass every possessipn. Period. This is elementary stuff.

When’s the last time we had someone take off up the court really fast as soon as we get a rebound and we throw a long pass or a quick outlet and then long pass up to him for a hoop? Nobody is ever up the court. If they are, Howard or Battle will dribble 3 times before passing it anyway.

Bigger teams and teams later in the season get to scout us based on previous game tape. Easier to find ways to exploit a team with more familiarity. They are better-prepared to go against Marek's quickness and see that Chukwu can be easily moved. And not having Sidibe to split minutes means Chukwu has even less strength over the course of a game.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom