What I expected this year | Syracusefan.com

What I expected this year

cuseguy

Living Legend
12 points, eight rebounds a game from Coleman. Maybe somewhere down the line.

Consistent play from our NBA point guard. A better ability to finish and make runners in the lane. MCW hasn't lived up to the hype.

A spark off the bench from Cooney. He'd have games where he didn't score at all but others where he'd make two or three big threes. We've only seen this once, I believe.

More offensive consistency from Christmas. Also a better ability to defend around the rim. After all, he was supposed to be going pro.

Three of these players were McDonald's All-Amercans. Two of them are in their second year.

I guess I was expecting too much.

Hopkins is not a big man coach. Not to say that Bernie Fine was Pete Newell, but he was better than what we have now. This needs to be addressed in the offseason.

As for MCWTF, he's playing for lottery position. Ironic that he might actually be costing himself by playing that way, no?

12 and 8 from Coleman was too much - you're a long-time fan, you know that that's pretty much unprecedented for a Syracuse big, much less one who's simultaneously under- (a generous 6'9") and over- (pushing 300 pounds) sized.

Expected smarter play and better shooting (maybe even a little Edelin post-up game) from the point, though. More from Christmas, too.

Your expectations for DC2 were way, way , way to high. IMHO, the 8 & 7 people were perdicting were way off too. 6'9" and 288 is just to big to be effective as a freshman. And he still plays like a high schooler, trying to do the thing he got away with there. Can't do it in college.

As a MDAA, Xmas had the lowest stats on the team. he made his "rep" playing D especially duirn one camp. Not known to be an offenstive guy and the concern always was that he didn't play hard consitently. That is his biggest problem.

And I do believe that MCW is becomiong a head case. He has let his ego and the early season success go to his head. How many time in the last 4 games has he had the ball literally stripped out from under his nose.

Fair is the only player that has lived up to my expectations so far this year, although the team has played decent defensively.

Your expectations for DC2 were way, way , way to high. IMHO, the 8 & 7 people were perdicting were way off too. 6'9" and 288 is just to big to be effective as a freshman. And he still plays like a high schooler, trying to do the thing he got away with there. Can't do it in college.

As a MDAA, Xmas had the lowest stats on the team. he made his "rep" playing D especially duirn one camp. Not known to be an offenstive guy and the concern always was that he didn't play hard consitently. That is his biggest problem.

And I do believe that MCW is becomiong a head case. He has let his ego and the early season success go to his head. How many time in the last 4 games has he had the ball literally stripped out from under his nose.
I laugh at those who thought Coleman might be one and done. He needs four years.

The shooting and Coleman have been my biggest disappointments. I didn't even really expect Southerland to be lights out; he actually exceeded my expectations despite how much he was struggling with his shot the last 6 games before his suspension. However, I thought Triche would be a pretty consistent outside shooter, and thought MCW would be about the same, and Cooney would be as the OP described.

What pisses me off so much about Coleman is that if he just wouldn't take that small dribble before going up with it, he could realistically be averaging 10 and 8 this year without a doubt in my mind. And that would change this team in a huge way. It would take so much pressure off of MCW.

MCW has been great some games, solid some games, and bad some games, but if we had any knockdown shooters or any big man that could catch the ball at the rim and finish, I feel like MCW would be a sinch for the All-American team right now. He can still get there, but I no longer think this team has what it takes to win a championship this year. The team is just too reliant on MCW, and he's not finishing around the rim nearly well enough for that to be ok.

I am more disappointed i rak than anyone on this team.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I remember not being overly impressed with Christmas as a high school player. His college play has just been a continuation of that. He's not physical enough to play center and lacks the offensive skills to play power forward.

I'm trying to figure out what SU saw in him.

I remember not being overly impressed with Christmas as a high school player. His college play has just been a continuation of that. He's not physical enough to play center and lacks the offensive skills to play power forward.

I'm trying to figure out what SU saw in him.

My guess is that they saw the same thing all the other schools that offered him saw. A raw, athletic big man with the potential to be a defensive stopper and develop an offensive game. Hell, he looked promising early on this year. Looked like he was starting to develop a couple post moves and was playing pretty well defensively. Then Christmas break happened and Xmas hasn't returned (though he played decent against Villanova).

I am more disappointed i rak than anyone on this team.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Someone's got to wake him the already in practice. Get him angry somehow. Everyone has buttons to be pushed and I have a feeling that by now, some of his teammates, maybe even coaches know how to do that.

If these guys have any heart, which I still think they do, light a frikkin fire under his ass to do so, just do it already.

High energy has to be on all the time. As disappointed as most of us are (myself included) in Fab "Fredo" Melo, every play down the court, he was determined to block a shot if they came into his lane. HIS LANE.

I know. I know Rak has this ability. He just has to show it every defensive play or we're nothing like the 2-3 we had last year. I really don't care as much about his offensive production, but he should send a lot more shots out of the paint if we are to be our normal selves.

Get Mad, and that doesn't only apply to Rak.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CB277777

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom