What I find encouraging | Syracusefan.com

What I find encouraging

Henny & Coke

2nd String
Yes, this was ugly as hell & tough to watch at times. So how can I be encouraged after what I just saw? Well, even though the score was close throughout, I saw a Syracuse team that was getting mostly good shots, close to the hoop - except that the shots weren't falling. Meanwhile, I saw a GT team that was really struggling each & every possession to get any type of shot, and usually ended up throwing junk up against the backboard, hoping to get rebound/putback (and a few times not getting a shot at all, leading to shot clock violation).

Basically, what I saw was a Syracuse team going through a good process that usually yields better results, but just didn't tonight. Things like really making an effort to feed the ball into our big guys like RAK & McCullough, who would often have good positioning down low, leading to high percentage shots that simply didn't fall tonight. In fact, I swear RAK had at least 2 shots that were halfway down but spun out, while Roberson had 1 like this as well.

Also, guys seem to be willing to drive to the hoop more (Gbinije, Patterson, Roberson, McCullough, RAK all had strong drives to the hoop that I remember), leading to either layups (again, some that just did not fall tonight), good dishes to open players (Patterson's was a beauty), fouls (Cooney was fouled going to hoop) or, at very least, a block out of bounds where we get ball right back (happened to RAK). Being aggressive & driving the ball like this usually leads to good outcomes...yet tonight there were a few fluky things that occurred to negate this usually positive action.

I may be wrong, but I'd be interested to see the shot chart, because I generally think we got good looks, close to the hoop...high percentage shot attempts that just didn't fall tonight - BUT, if we keep doing these things...if we continue to feed the post to our bigs with good positioning & we continue to drive the ball to the hoop instead of simply settling for low percentage outside shots late in shot clock (which was a habit that last year's team fell into that ultimately was their downfall, IMO - relying on low percentage outside shots by Fair, Cooney, etc)...these are good habits to get into & should lead to better results.

If/when that starts happening, if we could also figure out a way to then cut out some of the silly errors/turnovers we are making (guys dribbling out of bounds, not being on same page with passes, etc) then we will really have something. Hopefully that stuff gets cleaned up the more experience the younger guys get.

It's possible I'm being naive & looking too hard to find positives...guess rest of season will be the ultimate judge of that...but at this point I'm still encouraged.

The shots we're taking and our spacing/movement in the half-court have generally been better the last half dozen games or so. Turnovers are down. Defense has tightened up quite a bit. We're looking to run more even if we're not doing it all that successfully. This was an especially good game to run since GT really sells out for the offensive boards. Hopefully the break will improve in future games but I'm not sure any of our guards have great instincts in that department.

There are definitely signs of improvement to go along with the bad. Good post!

impressed you came up with anything encouraging from the game.

but i am going to crawl up in my bed, try to warm up - sober up, and go to sleep. glad we got the W.

I probably won't sober up until about noon; just don't make eye contact with boss man!

In seriousness though... a win IS a win for you jack holes that don't think so. I'm sorry for the harsh words, but the bud light is speaking and also told me to convey to some of you to remember (and keep perspective) that we need 10-11 wins in the regular ACC season and this was just one more. No one outside of Orange Nation cares how we got it when they're looking back at our resume. Just keep winning, regardless how, and we continue to put ourselves in contention for the post season tourney that matters.

It's ironic how last year we pulled wins out of our a@@ on our way to 25-0 and all seemed good. However, we are in a MUCH different situation and a win just isn't received the same by some. At this point, really my ONLY objective and goal for the team is to get a shot at the NCAA tourney. This game, and more like these, just gets us one step closer.

Last edited:
I'm just glad that after carefully making sure I didn't get any game updates, then finding that for whatever reason my DVR didn't record the game, resulting in me watching a slow, choppy ESPN3 feed that we actually won.

Rak didn't foul out. In fact, we played pretty good D in the middle as a team. I find that encouraging.

Also, I saw more than a few times Chris being engaged with JB when he was talking to him. I find that encouraging.

Patterson played well, didn't chuck the ball and played pretty intelligently. And we need a solid backup guard, even without the offense (not like Joseph is giving us any anyway). I find that encouraging.

We played as a team both offensively and defensively, even when our shots were not falling we didn't rush, push too much, play hero (1-on-1, iso) or play with frustration but with some semblance of control. I find that encouraging.

We won the game. I find that encouraging.

We missed 6-7 baskets at the rim, mostly uncontested. I really don't find that encouraging.

I don't know what to think really. Are we any good because Georgia Tech most certainly is not. Our PG was ineffective again against a subpar PG.

We got slaughtered on the offensive glass (granted a strength of GTech), botched so many fast breaks, and seemed to never secure any loose balls. Finishing at the rim and of course shooting continues to be a problem.

We know that these types of wins last year were utter fool's gold. The problem is that this year we need all the wins we can get. A paradox, no?

Last edited:
that's 6 wins in the last 7 games, the only loss an OT nut punch at #5 Villanova. 2 of those 6 wins have been vs Pomeroy top 100 teams and only 1 was vs a team below 200. After failing to execute late in close losses to Michigan, St. John's and Nova, they have now closed out two games in hostile environments against coaches who know us fairly well.

They are 2-0 in the ACC, and they have 2 conference road wins, which are worth their weight in silver if not gold.

There is a very good decent chance that they will be no worse than 15-5 when they visit Chapel Hill - Pomeroy has us favored to win each of the next five. Come out of the UNC game 16-5 and 7-1 and the bubble talk will be gone . . . for the moment

CusefanATL said:
impressed you came up with anything encouraging from the game. but i am going to crawl up in my bed, try to warm up - sober up, and go to sleep. glad we got the W.

Yeah my friend in atlanta said it's colder there.than Canada is. Wacky!

Yeah my friend in atlanta said it's colder there.than Canada is. Wacky!
10° at my house this morning, windchill takes it down to 1°.
I know, I know, #softnosed.

Last edited:
Yes, this was ugly as hell & tough to watch at times. So how can I be encouraged after what I just saw? Well, even though the score was close throughout, I saw a Syracuse team that was getting mostly good shots, close to the hoop - except that the shots weren't falling. Meanwhile, I saw a GT team that was really struggling each & every possession to get any type of shot, and usually ended up throwing junk up against the backboard, hoping to get rebound/putback (and a few times not getting a shot at all, leading to shot clock violation).

Basically, what I saw was a Syracuse team going through a good process that usually yields better results, but just didn't tonight. Things like really making an effort to feed the ball into our big guys like RAK & McCullough, who would often have good positioning down low, leading to high percentage shots that simply didn't fall tonight. In fact, I swear RAK had at least 2 shots that were halfway down but spun out, while Roberson had 1 like this as well.

Also, guys seem to be willing to drive to the hoop more (Gbinije, Patterson, Roberson, McCullough, RAK all had strong drives to the hoop that I remember), leading to either layups (again, some that just did not fall tonight), good dishes to open players (Patterson's was a beauty), fouls (Cooney was fouled going to hoop) or, at very least, a block out of bounds where we get ball right back (happened to RAK). Being aggressive & driving the ball like this usually leads to good outcomes...yet tonight there were a few fluky things that occurred to negate this usually positive action.

I may be wrong, but I'd be interested to see the shot chart, because I generally think we got good looks, close to the hoop...high percentage shot attempts that just didn't fall tonight - BUT, if we keep doing these things...if we continue to feed the post to our bigs with good positioning & we continue to drive the ball to the hoop instead of simply settling for low percentage outside shots late in shot clock (which was a habit that last year's team fell into that ultimately was their downfall, IMO - relying on low percentage outside shots by Fair, Cooney, etc)...these are good habits to get into & should lead to better results.

If/when that starts happening, if we could also figure out a way to then cut out some of the silly errors/turnovers we are making (guys dribbling out of bounds, not being on same page with passes, etc) then we will really have something. Hopefully that stuff gets cleaned up the more experience the younger guys get.

It's possible I'm being naive & looking too hard to find positives...guess rest of season will be the ultimate judge of that...but at this point I'm still encouraged.

LOL...I was going to post essentially the same thing and I assumed I would be the only one.

We got to the rim and we did get open shots.

Unfortunately, we cannot finish at the rim and we cannot knock down open shots. It is a problem.

This year's team makes last year's team look like the 09/10 team on offense.

Rak didn't foul out. In fact, we played pretty good D in the middle as a team. I find that encouraging.

Also, I saw more than a few times Chris being engaged with JB when he was talking to him. I find that encouraging.

Patterson played well, didn't chuck the ball and played pretty intelligently. And we need a solid backup guard, even without the offense (not like Joseph is giving us any anyway). I find that encouraging.

We played as a team both offensively and defensively, even when our shots were not falling we didn't rush, push too much, play hero (1-on-1, iso) or play with frustration but with some semblance of control. I find that encouraging.

We won the game. I find that encouraging.

We missed 6-7 baskets at the rim, mostly uncontested. I really don't find that encouraging.

See, now the 6-7 missed baskets at the rim are what I find most encouraging of all! That's the easiest part to "fix" (converting at the rim)...the hard part is everything else that happened to get that open shot at the rim (be it a big man battling for position down low, getting pass & making a good move...be it a guard taking his man off the dribble...be it some pretty passing to hit the open man...those are the toughest part of the equation).

That's what I mean when I say that we executing a good process (everything being done to set up the open high percentage shot at rim) but are currently not seeing the full benefits (points) of that just yet. But it will come with more repetition & execution in these real game settings.

For example, that 12-13 team for me was similar in this regard (even though that team was overall a better team) - Most of the season I remember watching MCW just blow-by his defender pretty regularly, elevate right over him, get a great shot at the rim...and more often than not miss! And yes, I would get discouraged at the result, but I also remember being incredibly encouraged by the fact that MCW could seemingly get that shot so often & so easily! He was doing the hard part (getting to the rim), the 90% of the work...and just not converting the last 10% (finishing at the rim). But this was also his 1st season of major college mins, so he was learning & gaining valuable experience as the season went on.

But he kept doing it & come the end of the season he started to make those shots more regularly. He started to put it all together & eventually was driving by & elevating right over Victor Oladipo in the Sweet 16 to the tune of 24 points.

Now, I'm not saying that there is anyone on this year's team as talented as MCW...but the learning curve is most likely the same for many of the guys on this year's squad. RAK's never been the focal point of an offense before...he's now gaining experience in that role. Roberson & McCullough have never played major college mins before. Gbinije has never felt this comfortable to be able to drive, shoot, etc as he is now. Really, all our guys (with possible exception of Cooney) should be better versions of themselves even a month from now. With some you can already see the progress being made (RAK, Roberson, Gbinije).

31 games in the regular season, it breaks down into quarters of 8, 8, 8 and 7 games (and this year, the final 7 are a killer stretch).

SU went 5-3 in the first quarter and are 6-1 so far in the second quarter. The wins are the bottom line, but there are some good statistical signs this quarter as well.

Silent G & Shakey P have steadily improved their outside shooting to the point that they are both legitimate threats - .375 now for G & .361 for Cooney. During the current 7 game run, that's .431 for Cooney and a sizzling .632 for G. Cooney has hit at least 2 triples in 7 straight games and at least 3 in 5 of 7. In the first 8 games, he hit two only 4 times and more than 2 only once. So, the outside shooting has more than stabilized and we have two legit threats.

But we're struggling with 2 point shots. XMas has been solid, both from the field and at the line. Roberson is doing pretty well, too, shooting over 50% in the last 7 games (23/44), but he doesn't get to the line very often. McCullough is the question mark. He is in a deep, deep slump (8/32) and if he can't hit his FT opportunities, it isn't going to get any easier because teams will just get more and more physical with him. If he makes them pay at the stripe then he should get better looks. CM has cut down on his turnovers - only 13 in the last 7 games vs. 21 in the first 8, but TR needs to get better there

baby steps. still need a lot more from the two freshman. the ship is still taking on water but it isn't sinking at the moment

FSU at home might be the perfect medicine we need on Sunday. They can't shoot and they turn it over. I think we will see a better performance at home.

FSU at home might be the perfect medicine we need on Sunday. They can't shoot and they turn it over. I think we will see a better performance at home.
And they're bad defensively this year as well (their strong suit in prior years)

See, now the 6-7 missed baskets at the rim are what I find most encouraging of all! That's the easiest part to "fix" (converting at the rim)...the hard part is everything else that happened to get that open shot at the rim (be it a big man battling for position down low, getting pass & making a good move...be it a guard taking his man off the dribble...be it some pretty passing to hit the open man...those are the toughest part of the equation).

That's what I mean when I say that we executing a good process (everything being done to set up the open high percentage shot at rim) but are currently not seeing the full benefits (points) of that just yet. But it will come with more repetition & execution in these real game settings.

Fair enough and agreed :)

For those who have much more of a basketball IQ than me, that's great. However, I've become a simpleton this year... just win regardless how and get into the NCAA tourney. Enjoy the ride, because it certainly will be one heck of a ride we can all be certain of one way or the other. We are bound to lose some games that we shouldn't and also win a couple that we "shouldn't. Hmmm.. sounds a little like last year???

2 conference wins on the road (hopefully 3 overall comes on Sunday) and just 8 to go. 11 wins in the ACC should be enough to dance. We aren't here to dance with the stars... this sure as hell isn't a beauty contest - just win and let's be happy - it's just that kind of year. I look at these conference games as a survive and advance scenario because we have little room for error. That being the case... give the team and players a break (this isn't directed to everyone here which hopefully is obvious). It just seems that some fans here have their perspective on things a bit whacked for the team that we have right now.

I see this team probably losing a game before NC, but also winning one or two down the road against teams like NC, Duke, or VA, which many already have us counted on losing. I believe the best thing, at least in my own simpleton viewpoint, is to enjoy the ride because it will only get better. I see us rising to the competition when it comes and to do what is necessary to dance in March. I also have faith in our HOF coach in leading the way for us to get there.

Just one simpleton's viewpoint for what it's worth. Also, it 's a lot more fun, by the way, to dumb things down and to enjoy the ride with the horses that we have taking us there. I love these guys... they play with a hell of a lot of effort, want to win as much as any team we've had, and have a vision and dream of doing a heck of a lot more than most of us imagine.

FAlso, it 's a lot more fun, by the way, to dumb things down and to enjoy the ride with the horses that we have taking us there. I love these guys... they play with a hell of a lot of effort, want to win as much as any team we've had, and have a vision and dream of doing a heck of a lot more than most of us imagine.
Well said.

For those who have much more of a basketball IQ than me, that's great. However, I've become a simpleton this year... just win regardless how and get into the NCAA tourney. Enjoy the ride, because it certainly will be one heck of a ride we can all be certain of one way or the other. We are bound to lose some games that we shouldn't and also win a couple that we "shouldn't. Hmmm.. sounds a little like last year???

2 conference wins on the road (hopefully 3 overall comes on Sunday) and just 8 to go. 11 wins in the ACC should be enough to dance. We aren't here to dance with the stars... this sure as hell isn't a beauty contest - just win and let's be happy - it's just that kind of year. I look at these conference games as a survive and advance scenario because we have little room for error. That being the case... give the team and players a break (this isn't directed to everyone here which hopefully is obvious). It just seems that some fans here have their perspective on things a bit whacked for the team that we have right now.

I see this team probably losing a game before NC, but also winning one or two down the road against teams like NC, Duke, or VA, which many already have us counted on losing. I believe the best thing, at least in my own simpleton viewpoint, is to enjoy the ride because it will only get better. I see us rising to the competition when it comes and to do what is necessary to dance in March. I also have faith in our HOF coach in leading the way for us to get there.

Just one simpleton's viewpoint for what it's worth. Also, it 's a lot more fun, by the way, to dumb things down and to enjoy the ride with the horses that we have taking us there. I love these guys... they play with a hell of a lot of effort, want to win as much as any team we've had, and have a vision and dream of doing a heck of a lot more than most of us imagine.

"Tis a gift to be simple..."

31 games in the regular season, it breaks down into quarters of 8, 8, 8 and 7 games (and this year, the final 7 are a killer stretch).

SU went 5-3 in the first quarter and are 6-1 so far in the second quarter. The wins are the bottom line, but there are some good statistical signs this quarter as well.

Silent G & Shakey P have steadily improved their outside shooting to the point that they are both legitimate threats - .375 now for G & .361 for Cooney. During the current 7 game run, that's .431 for Cooney and a sizzling .632 for G. Cooney has hit at least 2 triples in 7 straight games and at least 3 in 5 of 7. In the first 8 games, he hit two only 4 times and more than 2 only once. So, the outside shooting has more than stabilized and we have two legit threats.

But we're struggling with 2 point shots. XMas has been solid, both from the field and at the line. Roberson is doing pretty well, too, shooting over 50% in the last 7 games (23/44), but he doesn't get to the line very often. McCullough is the question mark. He is in a deep, deep slump (8/32) and if he can't hit his FT opportunities, it isn't going to get any easier because teams will just get more and more physical with him. If he makes them pay at the stripe then he should get better looks. CM has cut down on his turnovers - only 13 in the last 7 games vs. 21 in the first 8, but TR needs to get better there

baby steps. still need a lot more from the two freshman. the ship is still taking on water but it isn't sinking at the moment

Well done, Moqui, with the statistics and interpretation!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom