What I hope to see moving forward | Syracusefan.com

What I hope to see moving forward

RF2044

Living Legend
We're obviously still hamstrung by NCAA restrictions, but those will lift soon and we'll be back at full roster capacity in the next two years.

Here are a couple of things I'd like to see change in the near term:
  • More guards. Would like to see at least 6 guards on the roster spread out over recruiting classes. College basketball is guard driven, and having difference makers can be a HUGE advantage. We should never find ourselves in a position again where we struggle to cobble together a backcourt rotation, or only have three guys who play. . I hope we add Ayala, Duarte, and more players like that down the road so we always have guys who can shoot, drive, and make plays off of the bounce. Of course, I love Battle and obviously the offense will be structured around him next year. But there's no reason for us not to have a full compliment of guards who can play.
  • Expansion of the rotation. There's no reason to restrict ourselves to 7. I have no problem with the best players playing, but it will be refreshing to see the principals only have to play 30 instead of 38+ every game.
  • Multiple defenses. I have zero problem with us keeping zone as the primary base defense. But let's switch it up more. Let's not put all of our eggs in one basket and not adjust if teams start to get into a groove. In this regard, I hope [gag] to see us play more like Lousville, with pressure defense being the staple to supplement a base zone.
  • A re-emphasis on getting quality four year guys. That has been the lifeblood of our program forever. We've aimed a bit higher recently, and had a slew of players leave early. Nothing wrong with supplementing a quality nucleus with blue chippers, but we've let our foundation languish in recent years, and need to replenish the base.
  • Versatile forwards. The game is evolving, and three point shooting is more important than ever before. But I'd like to see some forwards who aren't as one-dimensional as some of the ones we've had recently. Along these same lines...
  • More guys who can make plays off of the bounce. I would kill to have three guys in our lineup who can create shots--for themselves and others. It would make our offense that much more difficult to defend.
  • Improved passing. I'm tired of having players who pound the ball. You can move the ball much faster swinging it than trying to attack off of the bounce. I believe that this ties to the previous bullet, even though it seems counter-intuitive -- having guys who can create forces defenses to react. You have to capitalize by moving the ball better and getting better shots. Again, being one-dimensional is a liability in the modern college game.
Will be interesting to see how things change post-Boeheim.

Last edited:
We're obviously still hamstrung by NCAA restrictions, but those will lift soon and we'll be back at full roster capacity in the next two years.

• More guards. Would like to see at least 6 guards on the roster spread out over recruiting classes. College basketball is guard driven, and having difference makers can be a HUGE advantage. We should never find ourselves in a position again where we struggle to cobble together a backcourt rotation, or only have three guys who play. . I hope we add Ayala, Duarte, and more players like that down the road so we always have guys who can shoot, drive, and make plays off of the bounce. Of course, I love Battle and obviously the offense will be structured around him next year. But there's no reason for us not to have a full compliment of guards who can play.
  • Expansion of the rotation. There's no reason to restrict ourselves to 7. I have no problem with the best players playing, but it will be refreshing to see the principals only have to play 30 instead of 38+ every game.
  • Multiple defenses. I have zero problem with us keeping zone as the primary base defense. But let's switch it up more. Let's not put all of our eggs in one basket and not adjust if teams start to get into a groove. In this regard, I hope [gag] to see us play more like Lousville, with pressure defense being the staple to supplement a base zone.
  • A re-emphasis on getting quality four year guys. That has been the lifeblood of our program forever. We've aimed a bit higher recently, and had a slew of players leave early. Nothing wrong with supplementing a quality nucleus with blue chippers, but we've let our foundation languish in recent years, and need to replenish the base.
  • Versatile forwards. The game is evolving, and three point shooting is more important than ever before. But I'd like to see some forwards who aren't as one-dimensional as some of the ones we've had recently. Along these same lines...
  • More guys who can make plays off of the bounce. I would kill to have three guys in our lineup who can create shots--for themselves and others. It would make our offense that much more difficult to defend.
  • Improved passing. I'm tired of having players who pound the ball. You can move the ball much faster swinging it than trying to attack off of the bounce. I believe that this ties to the previous bullet, even though it seems counter-intuitive -- having guys who can create forces defenses to react. You have to capitalize by moving the ball better and getting better shots. Again, being one-dimensional is a liability in the modern college game.

I agree with pretty much all of what you said. However 6 guards just isn't a good way to build the roster in my opinion. I love the idea of Full or 3/4 court pressure then fall back into the 2-3. That kind of defense would pretty much force whoever the coach may be to play 10 or more guys to play meaningful minutes for the majority of the year. I want to see from time to time the offense run through the post. The 3 man weave at the top of the key and the curls around double screens is getting old. Next season there is no reason they don't run some plays through Thompson in the post. If Lydon comes back a high low game between he and Thompson would work great as well as screen roll with Battle and Lydon/Thompson.

I heard Redick on the Rich Eisen show and he talked about Coach K and the tournament and does he change that time of year. He said Coach K makes sure he schedules early in the season for players to have some experience in tournament type situations. Meaning he schedules big games on neutral courts and mentions MSG, United Center, etc. He said its good to see half the arena in Duke Blue and say a Michigan State Green. He also said that he schedules an easier type game on a Thursday/Friday and come back with a tougher game Saturday/Sunday to mimic tournament scheduling. Was interesting to hear.

Spit balling off those concepts I thought about scheduling for SU. I get it traditionalists want to see UConn/Gtown/St. John games but I say to heck with that. I'd much rather schedule Arizona, Kentucky, Kansas in those neutral sights for a couple of reasons. Obviously those would help RPI win or lose, but those games get national attention for recruiting purposes. Heck if you want to go head to head with Zona or UK specifically for kids the best way to do so is take their behinds out head to head. Izzo has put together brutal non conference schedules for as long as I can remember and quite honestly I don't think anyone gets more credit for how his team plays in March than him. Just my humble opinion.

Last edited:
Can't argue with any of the OP, and frankly I'm much more concerned with the looming transition period that's now before us. By all indications this coming season will be HOFJB's last go-round.
IMO, the shift to the Hopkin's Era needs to start now, not next year. What kinda players will Hop feature in recruiting? What's his coaching philosophy re: the 2-3 Zone, & how does that determine his approach in the future. We should know soon enough whether soon-to-be HCMH will simply continue as-is, or start to shake things up a little.
I'm hoping JB is prudent enough to let Coach Hop take the reins during games next year, and gradually starts to ease back on his role, even more than he already has. We need to see whether we're gonna stay where we are, or shift gears dramatically, especially on the defensive end.

If you think JB is going to give up reigns for MH on the sidelines, you're crazy. The assistants aren't even in the discussions on the sidelines now. They are barely in the huddle.

I think 6 guards is to much but having a couple of swing men like Rautins or even White, is what you need.

I think 6 guards is to much but having a couple of swing men like Rautins or even White, is what you need.

What you want, ideally, is 5 guards, 4 forwards and 3 centers. You can't play more than 4 guards, and our rotation is usually 3 guards, 3 forwards and 2 centers, with another guy getting spot minutes, usually as the back-up PG.

Sorry could you repeat that? Music to my ears.

Man we have to establish some solid footing here. Our program is and has been is such a quagmire that someone better grab the reigns cause time is money. Our legitimacy is waning and it can be resurrected with the right decisions. Give Boeheim what he wants and get checkbook out to begin the search

Can't argue with any of the OP, and frankly I'm much more concerned with the looming transition period that's now before us. By all indications this coming season will be HOFJB's last go-round.
IMO, the shift to the Hopkin's Era needs to start now, not next year. What kinda players will Hop feature in recruiting? What's his coaching philosophy re: the 2-3 Zone, & how does that determine his approach in the future. We should know soon enough whether soon-to-be HCMH will simply continue as-is, or start to shake things up a little.
I'm hoping JB is prudent enough to let Coach Hop take the reins during games next year, and gradually starts to ease back on his role, even more than he already has. We need to see whether we're gonna stay where we are, or shift gears dramatically, especially on the defensive end.
On 2nd thought...
upload_2017-3-19_14-50-40.jpeg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom