What if Our Zone was a no threes D | Syracusefan.com

What if Our Zone was a no threes D

20Plus

I mean what if we forced teams off the three-point line at all cost As much as possible

just didn’t allow threes and force two’s!

Maybe not to the full extreme but instead of sinking in on every single pass just to get the ball kicked out in a shot over the top of the zone

Last edited by a moderator:
If teams are shooting over 40% from three than there is your answer. As they’re not going to have that much efficiency from two. They would have to shoot over 60% from two to beat that

Buzz has a lot of experience against our zone and always (or mostly) has a solid game plan for it. They worked for outstanding shots tonight and they made them at a high rate. As you know that is not common across most of our opponents, we usually are at the top of the conference in 3 point defense. Notice that not only has Buzz has lots of time versus us, they also played Washington earlier this year. Rough night but it is just 1 L.

Buzz has a lot of experience against our zone and always (or mostly) has a solid game plan for it. They worked for outstanding shots tonight and they made them at a high rate. As you know that is not common across most of our opponents, we usually are at the top of the conference in 3 point defense. Notice that not only has Buzz has lots of time versus us, they also played Washington earlier this year. Rough night but it is just 1 L.

It might hurt my back(he's not on keto), but I'd like to suplex Buzz.

Last edited:
You have to give them credit... they great ball movement and were hitting shots. I wouldn’t have minded trying man just to see, but that ship sailed a LONG time ago. Oh well... take the good with the bad.

We’ve had a lot of success against Buzz, but the defense stunk tonight.

We've had a lot of success when I've had a buzz, but tonight not so much. Now I'm all in, or united I stand, or whatever Nike's next line to get you suckers to hand over your money is, lol.

FWIW, we are top 10 in the country in FG% defense, top 20 in 3ptFG% defense and top 20 in ppg defense.

FWIW, we are top 10 in the country in FG% defense, top 20 in 3ptFG% defense and top 20 in ppg defense.
What does this have to do with the OP? He wasn’t saying we have a bad defense, he was talking about situational awareness to break convention from defending the post at all costs.

I feel like we had this conversation all the time last year only to finally allow mid-range shots at the benefit of staying at the perimeter during tourney play, and ta-da, our defense got better.

You have to give them credit... they great ball movement and were hitting shots. I wouldn’t have minded trying man just to see, but that ship sailed a LONG time ago. Oh well... take the good with the bad.
They zipped the ball around the court with such speed, it was amazing. There were several plays where our defenders just looked defeated by the futility of trying to keep up with the ball movement. Pretty special stuff from Tech. They earned their shots and made plays without dribble penetration, just by manipulating us until we couldn't recover.

I don't know about making our team a "no threes team," when we don't have great interior defense. Not just with shot blocking, but i don't even know how good our forwards are at defending inside the arc without fouling. We have games like Miami where we have a bunch of highlight blocks, but typically aren't we getting muscled around in the interior? Do we play good position defense? Seems like guys are out of position a lot, and it's the help that's running at someone.

homeboy had the game of his life. we play this game 100 times he does it once..tonight was that night

clearly it’s easier to throw insults instead of answering my question.

I mean what if we forced teams off the three-point line at all cost As much as possible.

“What does this have to do with the OP?”

I mean what if we forced teams off the three-point line at all cost As much as possible.

“What does this have to do with the OP?”
CBB is a one and done tournament, oh and we’re fighting for our lives, yet again, to make said tournament. I don’t care what we are ranked when a team can make us look that bad and we seemingly have zero ability to adjust. Hopefully we make the tournament, and then, if we do, I guess we just continue to hope matchups go our way because we’ll live or die by the zone.

It seems the same people have the same arguments and the same reactions every year. Nobody thinks our zone sucks or that we’re a bad defensive team...what we do think is how its crazy that we have no other defense to switch to for even one possession to disrupt rhythm.

Last year during the tournament we would force that high post guy to do something so our perimeter defenders didn’t have to collapse. It was so obvious Tech had zero interest in that and were simply feeding the high post for an immediate kick out, yet we never adjusted...against one of the best shooting teams in the country. It was a groundhogs day of ineptitude. The posters point is that teams typically won’t beat you with two’s. How on earth did we continually go “dog sees squirrel” every time they passed it inside? If it’s instinct/lazy, it needs to be coached out of them and if it’s scheme, then that’s terrible coaching against that team.

CBB is a one and done tournament, oh and we’re fighting for our lives, yet again, to make said tournament. I don’t care what we are ranked when a team can make us look that bad and we seemingly have zero ability to adjust. Hopefully we make the tournament, and then, if we do, I guess we just continue to hope matchups go our way because we’ll live or die by the zone.

It seems the same people have the same arguments and the same reactions every year. Nobody thinks our zone sucks or that we’re a bad defensive team...what we do think is how its crazy that we have no other defense to switch to for even one possession to disrupt rhythm.

Last year during the tournament we would force that high post guy to do something so our perimeter defenders didn’t have to collapse. It was so obvious Tech had zero interest in that and were simply feeding the high post for an immediate kick out, yet we never adjusted...against one of the best shooting teams in the country. It was a groundhogs day of ineptitude. The posters point is that teams typically won’t beat you with two’s. How on earth did we continually go “dog sees squirrel” every time they passed it inside? If it’s instinct/lazy, it needs to be coached out of them and if it’s scheme, then that’s terrible coaching against that team.

What is crazy is that people continue to say we have zero ability to adjust because we don't change our entire defensive philosophy (ie. switch to man) when we are having trouble stopping an opponent. We make in game adjustments in our zone almost every game, people just don't acknowledge them when we aren't successful. There are very few if any teams that are always successful at what they are attempting to do. By the way VA Tech had 10 made threes and shot 52% from 3 in the first half, only 4 made threes and 36% in the second half. Doesn't that seem like we made an adjustment??

Our defense wasn't great yesterday, but bigger problems were our inability to keep them off of the offensive glass and end possessions, turnovers on offense (especially in the first half) and our inability to run effective offense.

We shot 36% yesterday, 32% from 3 and 50% from the line. We were out rebounded by a much smaller team. We had too many turnovers in the first half when the game got away from us. We were ouplayed and beaten. It sucks, but it happens.

What is crazy is that people continue to say we have zero ability to adjust because we don't change our entire defensive philosophy (ie. switch to man) when we are having trouble stopping an opponent. We make in game adjustments in our zone almost every game, people just don't acknowledge them when we aren't successful. There are very few if any teams that are always successful at what they are attempting to do. By the way VA Tech had 10 made threes and shot 52% from 3 in the first half, only 4 made threes and 36% in the second half. Doesn't that seem like we made an adjustment??

Our defense wasn't great yesterday, but bigger problems were our inability to keep them off of the offensive glass and end possessions, turnovers on offense (especially in the first half) and our inability to run effective offense.

We shot 36% yesterday, 32% from 3 and 50% from the line. We were out rebounded by a much smaller team. We had too many turnovers in the first half when the game got away from us. We were ouplayed and beaten. It sucks, but it happens.
We’re deeper than we’ve been in a long time. We can’t throw a token press so Virginia Tech doesn’t have 25 seconds to whip it around at breakneck speed? We can’t tell our guards to pay zero attention to the man at the high post?... if he hits a bunch of foul line jumpers over our C, so be it.

Those are two things that I never saw last night until we went to a desperation press.

I’d prefer we had a 1-3-1 or m2m we could throw out there for a few possessions, but obviously that never going to happen under JB.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jennie87

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom