What is a charge in basketball? | Syracusefan.com

What is a charge in basketball?

Cusefan0307

Red recruits the ACC!
Just curious what other people think a charge is in basketball. I’m of the opinion last nights call was an abomination and the reason why College basketballs style of play is significantly behind the NBA because it always rewards the defense.

I can handle offensive fouls where players blatantly push off and bowling over primary defenders to get to the basket, but this was a secondary defender moving his feet where Oshae mostly side stepped him. That’s a block or no call in the pros.

What does everyone else think a charge should be in college?

Last edited:
You nailed it. That’s how I feel.

The call should not be viewed differently from one level of b-ball to the next. But it is. These college refs call way too many charges. I was talking to a high school/college ref after the game and he thought it was a charge. They all seem to think plays like that are charges.

Just curious what other people think a charge is in basketball. I’m of the opinion last nights call was an abomination and the reason why College basketballs style of play is significantly behind the NBA because it always rewards the defense.

I can handle offensive fouls where players blatantly push off and bowling over primary defenders to get to the basket, but this was a secondary defender moving his feet where Oshae mostly side stepped him. That’s a block or no call in the pros.

What does everyone else think a charge should be in college?

I think this is accurate. Dont watch a ton of NBA, but there is much less help defense in general, and the court is less congested.

In the end though, we will always be susceptible to more charging calls than many of our opponents. We have big guards and wings driving to the basket, so the contact itself is more evident. Also, we play with two players on the court at a time that can barely make a 4 footer, so the helpers are always going to be able to slide into the lane.

If the help defender is legit playing defense and the ball handler runs him over, that’s one thing. When I play help defense, I tend to have my knees bent, my hands up or out, on my toes, and ready to move my feet...you know, like an athlete and a ball player. Or at least trying to be one. Never once have I tried to play defense like a falling statue.

These guys who slide over in front of a guy about to leave his feet with the sole purpose of falling down at the first hint of any contact should not be rewarded. If anything, if it’s a particularly dangerous undercut(because it often is an undercut) they should consider making it a flagrant foul.

They’ve gotta do more to get rid of this junk. It’s horrible basketball to watch, and I can’t imagine being a talented player going to the rim and having to deal with that. I’d be frustrated beyond belief that you’re basically not allowed to get to the rack, and Id be concerned about getting hurt by one of these scrubs.

If the help defender is legit playing defense and the ball handler runs him over, that’s one thing. When I play help defense, I tend to have my knees bent, my hands up or out, on my toes, and ready to move my feet...you know, like an athlete and a ball player. Or at least trying to be one. Never once have I tried to play defense like a falling statue.

These guys who slide over in front of a guy about to leave his feet with the sole purpose of falling down at the first hint of any contact should not be rewarded. If anything, if it’s a particularly dangerous undercut(because it often is an undercut) they should consider making it a flagrant foul.

They’ve gotta do more to get rid of this junk. It’s horrible basketball to watch, and I can’t imagine being a talented player going to the rim and having to deal with that. I’d be frustrated beyond belief that you’re basically not allowed to get to the rack, and Id be concerned about getting hurt by one of these scrubs.
It's all about the secondary defender. In my mind, the secondary defender should only be entitled to space when the rule of verticality applies. You have to make a play on the ball. If you get run over in the course of a basketball play (ie the offensive player didn't push you) the contact is on you and is a blocking foul.

That's exactly how I saw the play -Oshae mostly sidestepped him and I would have said no call and play on. If you look at my posting history, I think you'll see I rarely complain about officiating as I basically subscribe to the boy who cried wolf theory. So when I say something about a call, I don't come across as one of those people who is always whining and hopefully it carries more weight, for lack of a better way of making the point I'm trying to make.

College officiating sucks. 70% of the charges called are blocks and another 20% are flops that the refs reward. Look at the NBA...offensive fouls on drives are rare and almost always just blatant run overs. Yet nobody seems to be able to change the idiotic calls in the college game.

The Bonnies defender sold out for the call since he couldn't defend the shot, and got it.

The block-charge has been bastardized for a long time now.

When I was a kid back in the golden age it was more entitlement of space.

A charge in college is whatever the ref wants to call a charge. There is no consistent enforcement of the rule, either from ref to ref or from half to half by the same ref. That's why its such a contentious call.

It's also called way too frequently. 8/10 times, it should be a block but the ref is either incompetent or out of position so that he has to make an assumption. I think that's what happened at the end last night. The ref couldn't actually see the lightness of the contact, so he assumed that Brissett barreled into the defender because of the way he went down. He was going to fall even if Brissett didn't graze him because he was off balance, as shown on the slo no.

I like the old rule when it was hard to draw a charge and it hurt.

The issue I had with the call was that the ref looked to had started the call pre-emptively, as noted above.

The defender was still moving (albeit slightly) to try to stay in front of Oshae who had taken a late alternative route to the basket to avoid the charge. The defender shifts and there is contact, but the final moment of the play is moot bc the ref had already made up his mind, imo.

1) I don't believe that was a charge. 2) it's terrible for the game as it encourages that type of play. 3) It's dangerous.

It was clearly wrong call and even if ref thought it was close, he should have not called it so game was decided by players and not refs.
i respectfully disagree. a call should be made no matter at what point in the game. i do believe the call could have gone the other way.

The intentional flop is dangerous. The player could smack his head on the hardwood or into another players knee, injuring himself or the other player. Encouraging a player to lose control of his body is very irresponsible officiating.

There should never be a charge called where there is little or no contact. When the offensive player is out of control and bowls into or runs over the defensive player (primary or secondary shouldn't matter) call the charge. When the defensive player moves his feet stays in front of the offensive player and there is light contact, no foul either way, just good defense.

Where the defensive player collapses like he was shot by a sniper, play should stop and each of the offensive players should be allowed to stomp on him. I don't know if I like the idea of calling a technical or other foul on the defensive player for flopping, but I absolutely hate rewarding the flop...so other than calling a foul, I don't know how you get rid of it.