What is the advantage of Frank sloooowly bringing the ball up? | Syracusefan.com

What is the advantage of Frank sloooowly bringing the ball up?

bballbeadle

Woman of a certain age
It seems to be something JB has encouraged. Is it because it gives our thin, weary team a bit of a breather? Is it to make sure our guys are set in their positions (while defense also gets set)? What are the advantages?

I see disadvantages galore, particularly how it eats the clock so that we don’t take a shot until 5 seconds or less is on the board. I know many of us would like to see the team play more quickly (and that is certainly how the Dome crowd feels) but there must be advantages to this strategy that I don’t understand.

I promised my 81 year old neighbor that I would ask the board this question.

I think it's exactly the first thing you suggest - gives the team a breather. When 3 guys are playing 40 minutes (and sometimes 4 guys are doing it), that 5-7 second walk up the court gives them a quick chance to catch their breath after playing D on the other end. The other piece of this would be to limit the amount of possessions overall - works to our advantage.

I have a tangential question to add. Why does Chukwu inbound the ball? He's the slowest guy on the team and running looks more physically taxing for him than anybody else. Yet, we have him inbound the ball and try to hustle down the court ahead of Frank, rather than head down the court first to get a couple seconds of rest once he gets there.

Limit possessions and inturn give our guys a breather

I have a tangential question to add. Why does Chukwu inbound the ball? He's the slowest guy on the team and running looks more physically taxing for him than anybody else. Yet, we have him inbound the ball and try to hustle down the court ahead of Frank, rather than head down the court first to get a couple seconds of rest once he gets there.

Having Bazley -- a phenomenal passer / ball handler -- as the inbound guy is going to give us LOTS of flexibility, including using Bazley as the safety valve to catch the inbound pass back, and bring it up.

We lack a player like that this year.

It seems to be something JB has encouraged. Is it because it gives our thin, weary team a bit of a breather? Is it to make sure our guys are set in their positions (while defense also gets set)? What are the advantages?

I see disadvantages galore, particularly how it eats the clock so that we don’t take a shot until 5 seconds or less is on the board. I know many of us would like to see the team play more quickly (and that is certainly how the Dome crowd feels) but there must be advantages to this strategy that I don’t understand.

I think it's to control the pace of the game for both player fatigue and because he doesn't want to give up easy transition baskets. Frank does not have the best handle and we really have a back court that is both 2G. We are a good defense team but if we give up transition baskets and are down a decent amount it is tough for us to dig out of.

To irritate the sheet out of posters.

To irritate the sheet out of posters.

All you do is come out and mock posters who have questions and ponder this issue. Like we’re some idiots and/or don’t have two eyes. Has JB directly told you why? Why can’t it be a possible combination of preventing fatigue, not exposing Frank’s handle too much or lack of speed, and keeping it a defensive/slow pace? I know he has mentioned in the shows that the forwards/centers aren’t good in transition and that Frank isn’t running PG. It seems fairly obvious that when Frank gets sped up his handle gets a little away from his body. He also doesn’t really run to me. I mean he may try to run but, honestly to me, it looks like a constant smooth trot or jog. I just see what I see and I’m not trying to rip the kid. I think generally the strategy is pretty sound by the way. Sure, we probably could get some easier and quicker buckets before a defense gets set but we’ve seen a few more of those lately. But, it’s like we have to hide or sweep under the rug some of the telling reasons why.

All you do is come out and mock posters who have questions and ponder this issue. Like we’re some idiots and/or don’t have two eyes. Has JB directly told you why? Why can’t it be a possible combination of preventing fatigue, not exposing Frank’s handle too much or lack of speed, and keeping it a defensive/slow pace? I know he has mentioned in the shows that the forwards/centers aren’t good in transition and that Frank isn’t running PG. It seems fairly obvious that when Frank gets sped up his handle gets a little away from his body. He also doesn’t really run to me. I mean he may try to run but, honestly to me, it looks like a constant smooth trot or jog. I just see what I see and I’m not trying to rip the kid. I think generally the strategy is pretty sound by the way. But, it’s like we have to hide or sweep under the rug some of the telling reasons why.

I guarantee you the only reason JB would admit to is limiting possessions. Occasionally it might slip that our bigs aren't quick enough to actually run, but it's about possessions. We'd see the same thing if we had a really quick guard as well. Frank will run when there is no one directly in front of Frank, or he can get the ball to Battle when he's alone. Seems like there are very strict limits on what constitutes a good time to run.

All you do is come out and mock posters who have questions and ponder this issue. Like we’re some idiots and/or don’t have two eyes. Has JB directly told you why? Why can’t it be a possible combination of preventing fatigue, not exposing Frank’s handle too much or lack of speed, and keeping it a defensive/slow pace? I know he has mentioned in the shows that the forwards/centers aren’t good in transition and that Frank isn’t running PG. It seems fairly obvious that when Frank gets sped up his handle gets a little away from his body. He also doesn’t really run to me. I mean he may try to run but, honestly to me, it looks like a constant smooth trot or jog. I just see what I see and I’m not trying to rip the kid. I think generally the strategy is pretty sound by the way. Sure, we probably could get some easier and quicker buckets before a defense gets set but we’ve seen a few more of those lately. But, it’s like we have to hide or sweep under the rug some of the telling reasons why.

Gotcha. I win.

Gotcha. I win.
BarnStirringMoulage.gif

I guarantee you the only reason JB would admit to is limiting possessions. Occasionally it might slip that our bigs aren't quick enough to actually run, but it's about possessions. We'd see the same thing if we had a really quick guard as well. Frank will run when there is no one directly in front of Frank, or he can get the ball to Battle when he's alone. Seems like there are very strict limits on what constitutes a good time to run.

I just thing it is fascinating this whole issue. He doesn’t really “run” though. That’s the thing. It’s very peculiar. His running is more like another guy’s trot or jog from a physical standpoint, IMO. Maybe JB actually truly means what he say.

I agree with a couple of the opinions that have been mentiond several times. With basically 6 players it is necessary to keep energy usage to a minimum as it is needed on defense. The other is minimize opposing possessions.

Having said that, I hate it and wish for those run and gun teams of old. However, you need to play with the cards you are dealt.

Eerily Trump-esque. First time I have ever cited a stupid political figure on this board. I think you would actually have the gaul to admit to me face to face that Frank has a good handle and good speed out there. #delusionsofgrandeur.

Frank is fast. He’s not quick. Makes up for it on defense with long arms. Most tall PGs aren’t real quick but many are fast. Times we have run, mainly on steals, he has shown plenty of speed, even with the ball. Is he lighting fast? No. But he doesn’t plod either.

Frank is fast. He’s not quick. Makes up for it on defense with long arms. Most tall PGs aren’t real quick but many are fast. Times we have run, mainly on steals, he has shown plenty of speed, even with the ball. Is he lighting fast? No. But he doesn’t plod either.

Yes his long arms are valuable. He doesn’t plod?! Wow. I think he is a very ‘smooth’ athlete but not fast at all. We’ll just never agree on this and that’s unfortunate I guess. I know the kid has improved a LOT.

My biggest problem with it we have an inability to get good shots off. If we get the ball past halfcourt quicker it would give us a few more seconds to work with on the shot clock.
I agree that part makes it not ideal. What end up happening is we get into a set and then if we don't get exactly what we want in the first 8 second Frank or Tyus basically decide taking their guy iso is the best option which at that point it probably is. Sadly I think this makes the most sense. I have no faith in Frank getting the ball up court quickly and the few fast breaks we have are complete disasters so I'm not sure the secondary break will be much better.

Eerily Trump-esque. First time I have ever cited a stupid political figure on this board. I think you would actually have the gaul to admit to me face to face that Frank has a good handle and good speed out there. #delusionsofgrandeur.

If you lived in ancient Greece he might.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom