What is the cause? | Syracusefan.com

What is the cause?

Quazzum69

Stable Genius
With the recent loss to Georgetown and the inevitable fanboard meltdown, it makes even the most casual fan to slip into the typical existential questioning of what-it-all-means, how-did-we-get-here. Direct causes could be attributed to several obvious things: poor-shot selection, Otto Porter, turnovers, etc.

Even though it is just one game, many people start saying some crazy things like "We should have played Duke, Kansas and Kentucky three times each with a pack of rabid dogs on the sideline waiting to attack the first man who misses a defensive rotation. This and only this would guarantee a final four." There are some other not so crazy explanations of why Syracuse cannot make it over the hump, so to speak, to the "next level" of college basketball royalty: JB is too old, Syracuse sucks, the student's are ugly.

I would like to see a thorough investigation of the estimated effect of these factors. A little while back some political scientists did a study that concluded that Obama lost something like 2% of the national vote in 2008 as a result of racism. I wonder what the effect of a coach's age, the climate or other seemingly unrelated things has had on Syracuse or other programs.

Any thoughts?

Certainly the Mayan calendar, this fanbases love of JHL, and the zone defense have a huge effect.

With the recent loss to Georgetown and the inevitable fanboard meltdown, it makes even the most casual fan to slip into the typical existential questioning of what-it-all-means, how-did-we-get-here. Direct causes could be attributed to several obvious things: poor-shot selection, Otto Porter, turnovers, etc.

Even though it is just one game, many people start saying some crazy things like "We should have played Duke, Kansas and Kentucky three times each with a pack of rabid dogs on the sideline waiting to attack the first man who misses a defensive rotation. This and only this would guarantee a final four." There are some other not so crazy explanations of why Syracuse cannot make it over the hump, so to speak, to the "next level" of college basketball royalty: JB is too old, Syracuse sucks, the student's are ugly.

I would like to see a thorough investigation of the estimated effect of these factors. A little while back some political scientists did a study that concluded that Obama lost something like 2% of the national vote in 2008 as a result of racism. I wonder what the effect of a coach's age, the climate or other seemingly unrelated things has had on Syracuse or other programs.

Any thoughts?
we have a stupid fan base. In 2010 we were the bestteam in the country. Jb was the national coach of the year. In 2012, we were great. 34-3. This year, we are above average. It happens.

It has to be more than 2%, obviously EVERYONE who voted against him did so because of racism.

Any team - in any sport - that loses to their rival (in front of a record crowd on national tv nonetheless) is going to have a fanbase meltdown. The problem/frustration I have with this team is that they look clueless against a zone or any another other defense that gets up in their face for 40 minutes. Until we figure out court spacing, I don't see much changing with our 3 shooters playing catch on the perimeter while Rak or Baye runs out to the top of the key to set a screen 20 feet from the bucket for the rebound. If JS & BT hit 40% of there shots against Gtown we win and everyone would be talking about the possibily of having 3 guys drafted next year. If they repeat the performance from Saturday, look for Chernobyl part duece later tonight.

Our expectations are high. The team fails to meet our expectations. Therefore, something is wrong with the team.

On the other hand, our expectations (and I include myself in this) are built from a formula something like ~30% conjecture, ~50% ignorance and ~20% wish-fulfillment fantasy. Adjust the percentages a bit plus or minus for each individual fan.

I thought this was a Final Four team, and if they don't make it, I could point to several reasons why not. This didn't happen, that got in the way, etc. But those aren't really reasons; they are just rationalizations. At the end of the day, the team is what it is - a collection of puzzle pieces that fit together in one particular way, for better or worse.

The cause is when someone dare saying anything negative about the team, even in a constructive way, they are immediately dismissed as haters and questioned on their number of NCAA D1 wins.

Any thoughts?
http://video.search.yahoo.com/video...Offense&c=10&sigr=11a3jvtge&fr=yfp-t-200&tt=b