What names/positions should we be watching | Syracusefan.com

What names/positions should we be watching

Cusefan69

All American
Out for as we head down the stretch from a recruiting standpoint? If I read the fishes and loaves thread 14 of 19 verbal. Perhaps another 2-3 attrition? So another 5-8 we can add to the class. Are there names folks may be feeling bullish about? My thanks in advance to those who are willing to share. Is Cuse feeling confident in our group of commits? Sampson our headliner seems rock solid which I have read on here...thanks again

We could have 68 guys on scholarship - it's never been confirmed whether or not Ellis and Welch have scholarships.

Out for as we head down the stretch from a recruiting standpoint? If I read the fishes and loaves thread 14 of 19 verbal. Perhaps another 2-3 attrition? So another 5-8 we can add to the class. Are there names folks may be feeling bullish about? My thanks in advance to those who are willing to share. Is Cuse feeling confident in our group of commits? Sampson our headliner seems rock solid which I have read on here...thanks again
I think that you will find that kids that leave now, either as transfers or grad transfers, won’t add any more ships to this class. It’s a weird process (and confusing) but that’s the way it is especially with the rule changes that take affect with this current class. You will likely also see no more of the crappy “gray shirts” that they SEC likes to employ to get 28-30 commit classes so that’s good news.

It will be close to 25 if not 25 when all is said and done.

I think Dino’s comments about the depth chart and bad fits was telling. I’d think any upperclassman not on the two deep at year end are potential attrition candidates.

I think that you will find that kids that leave now, either as transfers or grad transfers, won’t add any more ships to this class. It’s a weird process (and confusing) but that’s the way it is especially with the rule changes that take affect with this current class. You will likely also see no more of the crappy “gray shirts” that they SEC likes to employ to get 28-30 commit classes so that’s good news.
If kids with eligibility transfer out of the program that leaves an opening for the program to fill. The limit for scholarship players on the team is 85 so this class could be as large as 25... which is what I believe the OP was asking. There are currently 14 commits for 2018 with four being early enrollees.

I'll just put OXs' excellent, as always, Fishes and Loaves thread here as a reminder.

Class of 2018 - 2018 Scholarship Rundown (Fishes and Loaves Report) [Updated 11/26/17]

Last edited:
This might be helpful also...

NCAA recruiting rules for college football

With the new recruiting rules now in tact that includes an early signing period there is some confusion for many recruiting fanatics.

Schools used to be able to take more than 25 signees in a class with the loophole being they could count early enrollees to the previous signing class.

According to a college coach we spoke to, that loophole is no longer in effect meaning there is a hard cap at no more than 25 signees in each given class, provided a school can sign that many prospects and not go over the NCAA mandated 85-person scholarship limit.

Under the old rule, LSU would be able to sign 27 players in the 2018 class. However, 25 is the number that Ed Orgeron and his staff must juggle.

Some ask what happens when attrition strikes and schools fall under that 85-limit?

That is when coaches have to get some added bonues found in the transfer market. Transfers count only against the 85-limit, so they do not affect signing class numbers.

This might be helpful also...

NCAA recruiting rules for college football

With the new recruiting rules now in tact that includes an early signing period there is some confusion for many recruiting fanatics.

Schools used to be able to take more than 25 signees in a class with the loophole being they could count early enrollees to the previous signing class.

According to a college coach we spoke to, that loophole is no longer in effect meaning there is a hard cap at no more than 25 signees in each given class, provided a school can sign that many prospects and not go over the NCAA mandated 85-person scholarship limit.

Under the old rule, LSU would be able to sign 27 players in the 2018 class. However, 25 is the number that Ed Orgeron and his staff must juggle.

Some ask what happens when attrition strikes and schools fall under that 85-limit?

That is when coaches have to get some added bonues found in the transfer market. Transfers count only against the 85-limit, so they do not affect signing class numbers.

This is really good news. That and the early signing period are little things that help even out talent just a bit more.

I’d be fine with taking a few of the kids LSU doesn’t have room for every year. And I’m sure MAC schools are amped to get kids that we don’t have room for too.

What do we need, position wise?

How many spots do we have to fill?

How many junior college/grad transfers will be in the mix?

Really like the core of this group but if we add a few in the correct positions, with the ability to impact the team immediately, I'll like this recruiting class even more.

I’d love to see more DL help. Attrition always seems to hit the Dline. Wouldn’t mind a QB either. I’m not that confident we’ll get either.

Would also add another DB/ATH, preferably safety type. Another TE assuming Horan is seen as growing into an OT.

As many DE’s, LB’s and ATH’s as we can add.

I think it would be wise to add another QB, although it doesn't seem like it's in the cards for this recruiting class.

Dungey gets beat up every season and has trouble making 12 starts.
I know everybody is very excited about TD (as am I) and Rex looked solid in the BC game but I still have nightmares of that 2014 season when, due to injuries, SU needed four QBs (Terrel Hunt, AJ Long, Austin Wilson, Mitch Kimble).

Would also add another DB/ATH, preferably safety type. Another TE assuming Horan is seen as growing into an OT.

As much as I believe Horan could be an amazing OT, I've been told the staff really likes the idea of him being a blocking TE.

As much as I believe Horan could be an amazing OT, I've been told the staff really likes the idea of him being a blocking TE.
Everything is so specialized these days...good nugget on Horan, thank you. He's an interesting player, will be fun to watch how he develops. I definitely had an attacking pass catcher in mind. How to denote this? H or Y in this system?

SU has 4 qb's right now: Dungey, Culpepper, Devito and Welch. I'd throw in Butler as an emergency 5th. Unless they can find somebody as good or better than the ones in that group of 4, I see no reason to waste a skolly on one.

Need more DT's and athletes that have speed and/or size.

Bump... so knowing what we know today with early signing mostly in the books, are we changing any priorities and looking at new targets? Per the very much appreciated fishes and loaves thread that has been updated, 15 of 23 slots accounted for at this time. 3 verbals still remain though I am not sure of their status. Are there some new names in the mix we should pay attention to? Thanks for the inputs!

Bump... so knowing what we know today with early signing mostly in the books, are we changing any priorities and looking at new targets? Per the very much appreciated fishes and loaves thread that has been updated, 15 of 23 slots accounted for at this time. 3 verbals still remain though I am not sure of their status. Are there some new names in the mix we should pay attention to? Thanks for the inputs!

I would think once we see what names are still out there after the 22nd we will have a better idea. Then we have to wait on the dead period to be over on Jan 11th. So we might not have much info for a few weeks.