What NBA Scouts are saying about Eli | Syracusefan.com

What NBA Scouts are saying about Eli

Basically a mixed bag with more positive than negative. Like that he's improved every year (especially his handle). Good but not great athlete, not too concerned about his D. One guy said his shooting is overrated and said his team would not take him. Most think his shooting is being hurt by his lack of supporting cast.. Biggest knock was his inability to finish around the rim.

Basically a mixed bag with more positive than negative. Like that he's improved every year (especially his handle). Good but not great athlete, not too concerned about his D. One guy said his shooting is overrated and said his team would not take him. Most think his shooting is being hurt by his lack of supporting cast.. Biggest knock was his inability to finish around the rim.
K, I’ll keep him

K, I’ll keep him
Ha general consensus seemed to be mid to early second round. Also had quick blurbs on Marek (not playing in the league ever due to size not skill) and QG who is intriguing but a year or two away.

I didn't realize that he had trouble finishing at the rim! He made a couple Jordanesque finishes against UNC.

All things that can be improved with another year.

He should return. Got to be part one one great Syracuse team to get drafted nice and high.

He should return. Got to be part one one great Syracuse team to get drafted nice and high.

Sigh. All things that can be improved EVEN MORE when he gets to play and practice hoops FULL TIME.

Rather than having to play student along with hoops.

Sigh. All things that can be improved EVEN MORE when he gets to play and practice hoops FULL TIME.

Rather than having to play student along with hoops.

G league is tough and he’s not guaranteed playing time there. He gets as much as he can handle here. We’ve seen the improvement year one to year 2 it’s crazy to not want to see year 2 to year 3.

G league is tough and he’s not guaranteed playing time there. He gets as much as he can handle here. We’ve seen the improvement year one to year 2 it’s crazy to not want to see year 2 to year 3.
One of the knocks against him is that he's forced to play too much on-ball due to the lack of a playmaking PG at SU. The exact same thing that he would be relied on for next season were he to return.

I'd adjust your expectations now.

Who we dumping if he comes back?

I just don't understand how the importance of positioning doesn't enter into a career conversation. If Eli has enough confidence to consider the draft, he should have enough confidence that he'll continue to improve at the college level. Eli can leverage a higher position by improving through a fourth year. Imagine instead of 19/4/4 he goes to 22/4/6 just by hitting one more three per game and positioning himself a little better. He doesn't even have to take any more shots.

I just don't understand how the importance of positioning doesn't enter into a career conversation. If Eli has enough confidence to consider the draft, he should have enough confidence that he'll continue to improve at the college level. Eli can leverage a higher position by improving through a fourth year. Imagine instead of 19/4/4 he goes to 22/4/6 just by hitting one more three per game and positioning himself a little better. He doesn't even have to take any more shots.

I mean, all of that's valid. But I think it also needs to be considered that he's older than most college students [despite having another year of eligibility], and might be able to walk after this year with degree in hand. Tough to fault the kid if he wants to start earning.

He could have that "jump" (which is small) in his statistics and basically be the exact same player he is today.

Just when do you think we are going to have “one great Syracuse team” again?
Highly doubt it’s next year!

I didn't realize that he had trouble finishing at the rim! He made a couple Jordanesque finishes against UNC.
I agree. I think he's been more than solid finishing this year. I think that is an isolated narrative (small sample) from a scout that (perhaps) has not seen as many SU games the last two years as he'd like you to believe.

Jason Tatum turned 22 today.

Elijah Hughes turns 22 a week from today.
He won't get younger next year.

Most players are out of the league by 30....

Jason Tatum turned 22 today.

Elijah Hughes turns 22 a week from today.
He won't get younger next year.

Most players are out of the league by 30...
Most are out by 24.

It's incredibly hard to stick in the NBA. Especially when every June there are another ~60 guys trying to take your job.

Most are out by 24.

It's incredibly hard to stick in the NBA. Especially when every June there are another ~60 guys trying to take your job.
Correct. The successful ones make it to 30 and that is less than 50%

Just when do you think we are going to have “one great Syracuse team” again?
Highly doubt it’s next year!

Next year If Eli returns. If not not until JB leaves.

Next year If Eli returns. If not not until JB leaves.
Defense up top in the zone alone will continue to be a major hole. Good offenses still need to be able to stop the other team.

I couldn't agree more with that last sentence.