what this team lacks the most | Syracusefan.com

what this team lacks the most

what this team lacks

• Total voters

kcsu

Living Legend
This team doesnt have a pure scorer. We do not have anyone on this team that can take the rock and score. All great teams have that one guy that can make it happen regardless of who they are playing or more importantly who is guarding them. Melo, GMAC, last year we had DW and in the clutch Scoop. Both of those guys had the ability to score when we needed them. BT has never been that type of player. Sure he has made some clutch shots but he just doesnt have that type of game. MCW maybe but he isnt there yet. None of the bigs have it. CJ has potential. The only player on see on this team that has the scorer mind set is actually Grant. Not having a go to guy is going to hurt us down the stretch.

This team doesnt have a pure scorer. We do not have anyone on this team that can take the rock and score. All great teams have that one guy that can make it happen regardless of who they are playing or more importantly who is guarding them. Melo, GMAC, last year we had DW and in the clutch Scoop. Both of those guys had the ability to score when we needed them. BT has never been that type of player. Sure he has made some clutch shots but he just doesnt have that type of game. MCW maybe but he isnt there yet. None of the bigs have it. CJ has potential. The only player on see on this team that has the scorer mind set is actually Grant. Not having a go to guy is going to hurt us down the stretch.
Every team could use Melo or some other "go to guy" like Dion.
We have enough scorers -- could use smarter PG play, a few more defensive rebounds, better defense on the other team's best guard, and made FTs.

What this team needs more than anything is a real leader. It needs a player who finds ways to inspire confidence, effort, and execution. Currently, we have no such player.

It would be nice to have a pure scorer but there isn't one. What this team could do is play harder. They were beaten on the boards and to lose balls. Rak really dogged it getting back towards the end. This team had not been tested until Sat. With a few easy games coming up it might be awhile until we can tell if they learned anything yesterday.

And Grant didn't get any miniutes . Jimmy has always screwed himself in the depth department by not playing his quality bench enough. Yes I know the kid is young but he displays the "stuff"the team needed yesterday aggressive goto the basket energy.SUball

grant. south against good man dee has no game. in jb's offense the agile forwaed has to create

I think this team misses a Big Bastard more. Fab changed shots and rejected many others, other teams are getting to many easy looks down low. A scorer would be nice, but a true shot blocking center/Big Bastard would be more beneficial.

And Grant didn't get any miniutes . Jimmy has always screwed himself in the depth department by not playing his quality bench enough. Yes I know the kid is young but he displays the "stuff"the team needed yesterday aggressive goto the basket energy.SUball

Problem was that Jerami didn't demonstrate much of anything yesterday in his limited minutes. I know its tough in as few a minutes as he got yesterday, but when you are 8th or 9th man on the bench in JB's system the only way to force your way into the mix is to do something in the very limited minutes you get against the good competition then you get more minutes. May or may not be something that Jerami is capable of doing this season. That said, I have no doubt that he will start or be the first forward off the bench next season.

We'll see. There were many points in his career where people would say the same about Scoop.

MCW was terrible yesterday but I think we're dwelling on that a little too much. The lack of low post scoring is my biggest concern offensively. With 2 McDonald's AA's down there, you'd hope we'd be able to post somebody up and get an inside bucket here and there.

Coleman still has a long way to go, and Christmas rarely gets the ball on the block.

The best 2 SU offenses in the last decade(2003, 2010) had a balance of shooters, slashers, and post scorers. I was hoping Coleman's arrival and some improvement with Christmas would give us the post scoring element that we missed last year, but it's not looking that way yet.

We'll see. There were many points in his career where people would say the same about Scoop.

MCW was terrible yesterday but I think we're dwelling on that a little too much. The lack of low post scoring is my biggest concern offensively. With 2 McDonald's AA's down there, you'd hope we'd be able to post somebody up and get an inside bucket here and there.

Coleman still has a long way to go, and Christmas rarely gets the ball on the block.

The best 2 SU offenses in the last decade(2003, 2010) had a balance of shooters, slashers, and post scorers. I was hoping Coleman's arrival and some improvement with Christmas would give us the post scoring element that we missed last year, but it's not looking that way yet.

The low post element is something I had hoped JB would work more vigorously during the weak portion of the OOC schedule. I think he needs to force feed RAK and Coleman, even if it means losses to teams that we could beat other ways. When we get to the heart of the Big East and March we won't be beating the competition we will face without getting something more from DCII and RAK...in my opinion.

The low post element is something I had hoped JB would work more vigorously during the weak portion of the OOC schedule. I think he needs to force feed RAK and Coleman, even if it means losses to teams that we could beat other ways. When we get to the heart of the Big East and March we won't be beating the competition we will face without getting something more from DCII and RAK...in my opinion.

I think there have been quite a few games OOC where they were force feeding Coleman, as he was getting a lot of touches down low for a guy who had been pretty inefficient down there. He has improved some, but he's got a ways to go.

I think he will become a great low post player. He can get deep position, and he has a better touch around the rim than he has shown so far, he may just need to adjust to the college game. It would be great if that happens towards the end of this year, rather than next year.

I agree with this completely...The common denominator with SU's final four teams and the other team that I believe we all believe would have gotten there is a low post scorer...

This is not necessarily a true big man but a player who, when you needed to break a run, could get the ball and convert an easy basket or get fouled.

Melo in '03
Wallace in '96
Coleman/Seikaly in '87
Onuaku knocked out in the BET

I have little doubt that MCW will be able to get his shots and clean looks at the basket but, IMO, this team will thrive or falter based upon the ability of Christmas and Coleman to at least provide some low post presence that takes the pressure off the guards.

SUOrange44

I agree with this completely...The common denominator with SU's final four teams and the other team that I believe we all believe would have gotten there is a low post scorer...

This is not necessarily a true big man but a player who, when you needed to break a run, could get the ball and convert an easy basket or get fouled.

Melo in '03
Wallace in '96
Coleman/Seikaly in '87
Onuaku knocked out in the BET

I have little doubt that MCW will be able to get his shots and clean looks at the basket but, IMO, this team will thrive or falter based upon the ability of Christmas and Coleman to at least provide some low post presence that takes the pressure off the guards.

SUOrange44

Yup, And 03 and 96 even had two good low post scorers, as Warrick and Hill were the 2nd leading scorers on those teams.

IMO, the biggest problems are:

1. No inside post-game at all;
2. No guard depth;
3. Spotty outside shooting (this issue is magnified when Southerland struggles); and
4. As usual, poor defensive rebounding.

The slow development of Cooney & DC2 obviously impact 1-3 above (and to an extent, #4 as well).

2. No guard depth;
3. Spotty outside shooting (this issue is magnified when Southerland struggles); and

The slow development of Cooney & DC2 obviously impact 1-3 above (and to an extent, #4 as well).

1. Yep, but when has SU ever really focused on using their centers as go to scorers? Onuaku leaves with a career shooting percentage of 67%, but he rarely went more than 5-7 from the field.

and add ...

5. Atrocious defense. Temple scored 55 pts in the 2nd half, despite no FGs in the last 5:30. SU's wings got sucked in too deep on three straight possessions and Temple hit three straight threes. Their zone defense doesn't intimidate anyone inside - Temple put on a passing clinic in the second half, which made sitting next to their fans no fun - and their rotations are just slow enough to get to the guy who just shot the ball. It is so frustrating watching Jrs/Srs botch defensive assignments.

Kev

I'll agree with you. The team also is lacking the typical SU wing man. Fair is closest but I is more of a baseline player and less of a driver. JSouth is filling the role but is a jumpshooter who can occasionally fill the lane on breaks. The incoming classes are full of swingmen so we shouldn't have to worry about this for long. This years team has enough other things covered that they will be more than fine. I honestly think Temple just wanted it more yesterday. JB needs to make sure that doesn't happen again. Not sure we have a player that will do that.

Southerland's the closest we've got. That's why he was my key player, pre-season. He can play better still.

I don't disagree that Temple out-toughed us. We also blew a ton of FTs, and MCW tried too many drives in the lane. At least Fair was hitting his. We have lots of size inside, but we need more nasty.

If Coleman can't get better inside, it's going to take away from our depth. Boeheim won't play him if he doesn't defend much better. Grant will get his minutes and we'll only play the 2 guys at center when the rotation tightens down. Coleman only has another half dozen games before the impoortant games start coming up. He needs to get his act together defensively.

2. No guard depth;

That's it in a nutshell. And it's really going to hurt us come BE play.
We have talent.
But #3 in the country?
Not yet.

I might add two more things we lack: a set play or two to get a good shot and real intensity.
The past 3 seasons we came to play. I don't get that same sense this year.

Good post. My biggest concern as well. Coleman needs to also learn another move besides that really slow developing drop-step. Really hope these guys develop a motor for getting after rebounds. All this size is meaningless otherwise.

I don't think this team is lacking they just haven't bloomed yet. We can't continue to run everything out of the midpost. It needs the outscore scorers and the inside post up to spread defenses and open the way for Triche CJ Southerland (are upperclassmen) and MCW. Dajuan or Grant have to get ready for big east ball though. We NEED one of them.

CJ 12.5 ppg (and hes just getting comfortable with his perimeter role. Triche 14.7 ppg and Southerland 15ppg. Thats pretty good scoring. And CJ and Southerland have both scored over 25 against good opponents. Triche has had around 20 against a good opponent.

I'll agree with you. The team also is lacking the typical SU wing man. Fair is closest but I is more of a baseline player and less of a driver. JSouth is filling the role but is a jumpshooter who can occasionally fill the lane on breaks. The incoming classes are full of swingmen so we shouldn't have to worry about this for long. This years team has enough other things covered that they will be more than fine. I honestly think Temple just wanted it more yesterday. JB needs to make sure that doesn't happen again. Not sure we have a player that will do that.

If allowed... 3G could be that guy, if Southerland is not going to have picks and set plays to get him open against MTM and he isn't making threes or taking 15 footers then Grant needs 10min the next few games to see if he can be that explosive wing. So far our team has looked to be struggling in getting the ball over the rim and certainly not attacking and throwing down like I have seen Grant do. It sounds crazy but I think we need to give him a serious chance this year.

If we decide to shorten the bench to find consistency and chemistry that's fine, but once that is established this kid needs a few minutes a half to see just how good and explosive he can be at this level.

Edit:
One more thing about stretching the low post D... can't we work the baseline more creatively with screens and one dribble drive and dish? We have two lengthy mid-range shooters on either side, at least one of two can see over the D every night. When MCW drove the lane out of control he could have been feeding the baseline mid-range jumpers all night.

Or work a two man game in the corners to open up the middle? If I were a mid-range shooter who can't dribble, I'd be perfecting my turn and shoot/dish from day one. We have two candidates maybe three with 3G. Our wings aren't versatile (Fair is getting better) so why are we trying to force them to be a Carmello or Kris Joseph rather than what they are. Two wing mid range shooters and only one can penetrate in one direction. Lots of coaches would be very happy with two 6'8" mid-range shooters. Coach K comes to mind.

I like Fair in the short corner with a MCW dish then a MCW cross and up the foul line to set a pick on Southerlands man in motion. Southerland goes opposite baseline. Fair can Turn and shoot or flood across the lane like he does and shoot/kick to Southy in the corner. This team has options they just aren't maximizing their strengths yet and maybe not being creative enough.

They also seem like they could use a bit more cardio and leg work IMO

We need our big guys to play better. Right now our offense is mcw and Triche drive to the basket. Triche usually shoots and mcw passes. We're too reliant upon those two guys creating for themselves or there teammates. The big guys need to contribute a lot more.

Lacks quick ball movement and passing. Seems like every time CJ Fair gets it, he goes up. No matter what! He had a great game saturday but thought before saturday he hasn't been great this year. Very good player but in my opinion, has had plenty of opportunities to kick to open players on the perimeter but has just thrown some shots up.

Need to move the ball some more because while this team does not have a "pure" scorer, their is plenty of scorers on this team to win a ton. I think just a little more continuity and effort to get each other open in the half court offense will do big things for the team.

That is really the sad truth. We had some players who wanted it, but others didn't show that they had the attitude it takes to push back when you've gotten knocked down. We'll see how this plays out. When I look at our coaching staff; JB, Hop, Gmac and Autry, I see guys that never gave up and must have had acid stomachs because they didn't see enough fight in some of our players.

They're young and they've been coddled by their ranking and reading headlines. Growth is the key and that will come. They will be totally different in a few months. Seems this has almost always been the discussion in December in some kind of way. Hopefully this game gave them a slap in the face to wake up and play more aggressive.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CB277777

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom