What to expect from Tyus Battle next season (Syracuse basketball player forecasts) | Syracusefan.com

What to expect from Tyus Battle next season (Syracuse basketball player forecasts)

Interesting comparison

I typically like Mike Waters, but the Donte Green comparison is way off. Just because they had some number similarities doesn't mean that they're comparable. Their approaches to offense are completely different.

Last edited:
I typically like Mike Waters, but the Donte Green comparison is way off. Just because they had some numner similarities doesn't mean that they're comparable. Their approaches to offense are completely different.

It's a very weird comparison. In addition to the two of them having dissimilar games, it's not in any way useful: Greene went to the pros the year after the one that Waters highlighted, so it's not like it tells us literally anything about what to expect from Battle this coming year. More interesting, imo, would have been looking at some of the guys who toyed with the NBA and came back. (Hakim? CJ Fair?) Or maybe guys who went from being expected to do almost everything to having some more talent around them. (This is a tougher category. I think the 2011-12 team is the best comparison here: the year before had relied heavily on Rick Jackson and KJo, with some often frustrating performances from the two guards. The next year incorporated Dion, got an improved Fab and a developing CJ, which really opened things up.)

It was meant to be a statistical comparison. Nothing more. He probably knew it would drive conversation because fans can't stand Donte and they love Tyus for whatever reason that is.

Leaving aside the comparison with Donte, the best part of the article was the final section "The Ceiling" where Waters talks about "what if?" scenarios, showing how just slight incremental improvements in a few key areas could make a huge difference for Battle and the team. Worth the read right there.

Also not talked about too much in the article is Tyus on D, he and Howard form a very good defensive pair at the top, I would think at or near the top in terms of Defenders we have had at the top of the zone in recent memory.

I expect Tyus to look like a mature player relative to the rest of college basketball, continue performing at a high level defensively, improve his efficiency by a big step as a scorer, have several clear "leader" moments on the court for this team, and end up as a 1st round pick in the 2019 NBA draft.

I'd be elated if Tyus turned in a Senior Year Gbinije season. He might sacrifice a few points per game as a result of fewer shots, but I'm hoping that is accompanied by improved percentages. 17, 4, and 4 vs. his 19, 2, and 3 could be a big help to the team if Tyus gets back to his Freshman shooting percentages.

The "floor" and "ceiling" segments I found to be the most enjoyable parts of the article. Overall a very good read.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom