"What to Expect From..." | Syracusefan.com

"What to Expect From..."

AlaskaSU

Build a dorm, burn the locker rm. upgrade the dome
Reading the comparisons it is easy to think that the returning 5 are comparable to some of our former greats. However, the comparisons are misleading due to the fact that our starting five played more minutes per game than the players they are being compared to. This inflates both their scoring/rebounding/assists and also their mistakes such as turnovers and missed shots that increase with fatigue. Next year will be more telling in terms of true comparisons. Some of the comparisons have comparable minutes and some do not.

Last edited:
I'd evaluate Waters' comparisons so far, like this:

Frank-Triche: Pretty spot on. Triche was a 4 year starter and was more consistent early in his career, but their numbers aren't far off. Position difference aside, this one was solid, imo.

Tyus-Donte: Again, pretty accurate. Donte had more hype and played more as a Frosh but, comparing Soph Tyus to Frosh Donte, both were volume scorers who benefited from big minutes.

Chukwu-Fab: Chukwu will never be as good on offense as Fab was in his final season, which isn't a surprise to anybody and I doubt was the intention of Waters' comparison. On defense, though, the comparison is solid. Chukwu didn't benefit from extra minutes inflating his stats like the other guys.

OB-Warrick: I would think this comparison is the one that sparked the idea for this thread. Warrick was a special player who had a lot of intangibles that are hard to compare. Will OB swat shots like Warrick or dunk like Warrick? No. OB's stats were probably the most inflated by playing time. That said, he probably does have more offensive potential than Warrick, who didn't show a deep jumpshot until his Senior season, if memory serves me. Warrick was poetry in the post, though, which is an aspect of OB's game that needs some work. Stylistically, these guys are a little too different to warrant the comparison, imo. Without looking at the stats, I'd think KJo or Nichols would be closer comparisons, maybe even Fair.

Sidibe-Rick: Tough comparison to make, knowing that Sidibe was injured practically the entire season. Sidibe did show flashes of a good interior game on offense and potential on defense. If he stays healthy, he could be better than Rick. I don't think that's a stretch.

Oshae had a few very impressive blocks last year, and some chase downs. I love the Hak comparison going into his sophomore year.

Oshae’s more talented than DN, CJ and KJo imo

The comparisons have been fair. People are annoyed by them because Waters is challenging a lot of peoples biases. All the guys he compared the current players to played LOTS of minutes as well. Go back to the season of the compared player.

My take is that we are in a position of comparing our five starters to 5 great players and they are all on our current team together. Add Carey, Hughes and Buddy. What has Boeheim done? Put himself in position to rock the NCAA world fresh from ridiculous sanctions. Oh the pain Doug G. Gonna love watching you melt

Oshae had a few very impressive blocks last year, and some chase downs. I love the Hak comparison going into his sophomore year.

Oshae’s more talented than DN, CJ and KJo imo

I've always thought that John Wallace is the best comparison for Oshae. Oshae doesn't have JW's post moves, and Oshae's a better defender. Both excellent rebounders. Wallace was a lot more efficient as a freshman but also had to do a lot less. Brissett's game is going to look different than Wallace's, but I suspect a lot of that has to do with the evolution of the game more than anything.

This is high praise. Brissett is really, really good.

1whattoexpect.jpg

Would love to see one more article from Mike that dives into what to expect from Coach Jimmy Boeheim. How will he divvy up the minutes? Will he press more and try to increase the pace of the game? Will he give Buddy a quick hook after a defensive lapse?

Would be good board chatter for a few days, anyway...

The implication is that since the players being compared have comparable stats, the current players will eventually achieve as much as the prior players went on to achieve. Time will tell if some big shoes are filled and good times are back again.

The implication is that since the players being compared have comparable stats, the current players will eventually achieve as much as the prior players went on to achieve. Time will tell if some big shoes are filled and good times are back again.
I would have preferred an analysis about how they compared to a player with a similar style and how the previous player developed over time. That would have been more relevant since stats, especially scoring, can be accumulated through different means. Of course, that type of analysis would probably be more appropriately done by someone with a coaching background.

You undervalue DNic. Should have been BE POY
He either undervalues DNic, CJ and Kjo or overvalues OB a lot. He's not in their league yet. Worst finisher in CBB I've seen since Doug Smith of Missouri.

He either undervalues DNic, CJ and Kjo or overvalues OB a lot. He's not in their league yet. Worst finisher in CBB I've seen since Doug Smith of Missouri.
category error, comparing a freshman season to senior seasons

Simply untrue. OB never would have played before CJ or KJo. Dnic you are correct , he came on late. But my last sentence is absolutely true unless you say Aaron Gray was a worse finisher, maybe a toss-up. He misses so many lay-ups that its in effect a turnover. CJ and KJo were great finishers. You can't spin that. If CJ and KJo had the same attempts at the rim as OB had this past season their 2pt % would have been dramatically better than OB's. I see a great ceiling for Oshae but those two were better prepared to play, they didn't get the minutes that Oshae had to play or we wouldn't even be discussing this. JB didn't have to play them that many minutes. If Jerami Grant got the minutes OB played this year he would be a god on this board. It was a perfect storm for Oshae , most forwards have to wait their turn here.

Not sure stats matter. If the newcomers are good the starters aren't getting enough minutes to pad stats.

Defensively is where these guys can really excel they were top 5 in the country last year and if they kick it up a notch then watch out. We want to keep our identity as a D first team regardless of the talent level on offense.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom