What was going on with Jerami vs Dayton? | Syracusefan.com

What was going on with Jerami vs Dayton?

djcon57

Living Legend
Just not getting the ball enough?
Did Dayton scout his one move, stuff him twice, and make him apprehensive?
His back still an issue?

Or a combo of all 3? What do you think?

He certainly didn't produce the number of "energy" plays we were accustomed to seeing. That would suggest he wasn't close to 100% physically.

Why does Grant fall on the floor so much and is that related to his back problem?

His back still an issue?

I think it's obvious he was less than 100% physically. And he wasn't at any time after the injury, to be honest. He had some flashes of his previously dynamic play, sure, but overall he was limited by his injury. I believe I recall reading a tweet posted here in which he said words to the effect of it would take the off-season to get completely healthy, and that he would do his best to "soldier on" the way it was.

Why does Grant fall on the floor so much and is that related to his back problem?
Strength. Work in the weight room will allow his bodies strength to catch up to his athleticism. A bad back doesn't help much either.

During the game he was totally ignoring the jumper. His man was off him by 5 feet or more daring him to shot the mid-range jumper. That was a very good strategy and Jerami didn't take a jumper till late in the game.

The best part is that all of this is fixable with rest, weight room work and working on an already improving jumper. Please let him return to SU next year. Please, please, please!!!!!

Dayton's "belly-up" defense reminded me a lot of Duke, and like Duke, it was the sort of game where one would expect Grant's ability to slash to the basket would have been productive.
I vaguely recall Grant taking a spill at one point and being relieved when he got right up with no (apparent) ill effects. Maybe he re-aggravated his back?

I mentioned in another thread - he had 1 offensive board on 33 SU misses. Not good.

Dayton did an excellent job on JG, you could tell he was a focus of their defense. Seems like they were daring him to shoot jumpers when he got the ball, and they sat on that spin move to the basket when he tried to drive. Credit to Miller and their staff. Nobody else had kept him off the glass like that either.

They shut that spin move to the basket of his down! I think I saw him attempt it twice, each leading to turnovers and him on the floor. He didn't appear hurt, but he did appear rattled. Doesn't help he was in foul trouble.

According to Donna Ditota, he said he didn't know why he didn't get the ball more. That doesn't address the offensive rebounds or what he did when he did get the ball but it sounds like he wanted and expected the ball more times than it was passed to him.

At least during the first 10 or so minutes, they switched every screen so they ended up defending Grant with their 5'10" PG. During that stretch, he was wide open for easy dunks literally every possession. Our guards just completely ignored him when he had his man sealed. Same thing happened to Christmas. They were our biggest chance to win that game, but the guards, and presumably Boeheim, didn't see it.

His back still an issue?

His game was too predictable. Without a credible outside jump-shot threat they played off him so they could be in good position when he drove to the basket. If he had a real jump-shot he would be successful driving to the basket.

If our guards got it to our bigs down low for an open look...Jerami wouldn't have to go 1 on 2 off the baseline or free throw line and use that spin every time.

I think it was the back injury. It wasn't like he was in position & just missing shots like all the others. He just wasn't getting to the ball (especially off the glass) and he didn't seem to have his hops, so that tells me he wasn't moving well, probably because he wasn't feeling well.

I made many posts on this forum about the nature of back injuries and the need to limit Jerami's minutes and bring him along slowly after his injury - all to no avail. We did not need him playing 32 minutes against WMU, and that is not even counting if his practices were limited or not.

Seems like he does have a credible jump shot out to ~18 ft.

His game was too predictable. Without a credible outside jump-shot threat they played off him so they could be in good position when he drove to the basket. If he had a real jump-shot he would be successful driving to the basket.

At least during the first 10 or so minutes, they switched every screen so they ended up defending Grant with their 5'10" PG. During that stretch, he was wide open for easy dunks literally every possession. Our guards just completely ignored him when he had his man sealed. Same thing happened to Christmas. They were our biggest chance to win that game, but the guards, and presumably Boeheim, didn't see it.

It's not unusual that we struggle with this, but I've never seen an SU team so unwilling or unable to exploit mismatches as this group. It continued on Saturday; it still boggles my mind that we played two close games against a horrific BC team that guarded our All-America forward with a 6'2" kid. Very frustrating.

This difficulty stemmed from a combination of poor coaching, players with limited offensive skill, and a green point guard with limited vision, I think.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom