What was the best era of Syracuse sports? | Syracusefan.com

What was the best era of Syracuse sports?

Vshukla

Walk On
In another thread I mentioned how the FB, BB and Lacrosse teams all ended the season with a win. Ithaca Matt then talked about the fun of 1987. That lead me to wonder, what was the best era for Syracuse sports? What are your opinions for the best 4-5 year period (which corresponds to a typical undergrad tenure)?

I am admittedly biased but when I think of my time on the hill (1985-1989) I see great players, iconic moments, and team success for the big 3 sports.

Basketball had Pearl, Sherman, DC, Rony, Stevie, and Billy. We had a Final 4 and an Elite 8. Iconic moments include Sherman hiking the ball to Stevie in MSG, Rony dunking all over Schintzius, beating NC to go to the Final 4 and the comeback win over GT in 89.

Football had Donnie Mac, Moose Johnston, Rob Moore, Terry Wooden. We went to 3 Bowl games (2-0-1) and had two 10 win seasons. We had the 2nd best year in FB history and an incredible moment (Michael Owens 2 pt conversion)

Lacrosse had the Gait brothers, Zulberti, McCabe and more. We won 2 national titles (with a 3rd in 1990 by possibly the best SU sports team in history. Imagine losing Zulberti but getting Marachek), and the incredible moment of “Air Gait”.

Has there been a better era for SU sports? What was your time like?

1987-98. We were one of the only programs who could count on winning records in football and basketball every year and lacrosse was an annual power.

In another thread I mentioned how the FB, BB and Lacrosse teams all ended the season with a win. Ithaca Matt then talked about the fun of 1987. That lead me to wonder, what was the best era for Syracuse sports? What are your opinions for the best 4-5 year period (which corresponds to a typical undergrad tenure)?

I am admittedly biased but when I think of my time on the hill (1985-1989) I see great players, iconic moments, and team success for the big 3 sports.

Basketball had Pearl, Sherman, DC, Rony, Stevie, and Billy. We had a Final 4 and an Elite 8. Iconic moments include Sherman hiking the ball to Stevie in MSG, Rony dunking all over Schintzius, beating NC to go to the Final 4 and the comeback win over GT in 89.

Football had Donnie Mac, Moose Johnston, Rob Moore, Terry Wooden. We went to 3 Bowl games (2-0-1) and had two 10 win seasons. We had the 2nd best year in FB history and an incredible moment (Michael Owens 2 pt conversion)

Lacrosse had the Gait brothers, Zulberti, McCabe and more. We won 2 national titles (with a 3rd in 1990 by possibly the best SU sports team in history. Imagine losing Zulberti but getting Marachek), and the incredible moment of “Air Gait”.

Has there been a better era for SU sports? What was your time like?
I grew up in Syracuse in the 80s and early 90s. The 1985-1990 period was most definitely the Golden Age for all sports. For basketball only consideration, 2003-2016 is probably better, with a National championship, two other Final Fours, an Elite Eight, 7 Sweet 16s, plus three Big East regular season titles, two BE tourney championships, and two #1 NCAA tourney seeds.

Last edited:
Best era is from 1983 the day THE PEARL got on campus to 1990 when DC and Steve Thompson graduated!!!!

1)Late 80s-early 90s...both programs were elite.

2) Mid-late 90s...both programs were rock solid and consistent winners.

Basketball has had elite stretches in the 2000s, but football has been bad to mediocre the entire time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RedSoxNat

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom